Old 07-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Dave Stevens

Default nvidia driver enabling in 11.04?

Hi,

My friend has a U11.04 box with an nvidia 240 GPU. He complained of graphic
speed issues. I can verify that it is slow. I looked to see what driver was in
use and in particular checked for the manufactiurer's driver. I seems that the
nvidia driver is installed but not enabled. How do I enable this? what is the
fallback if enabling it causes more-or-less severe problems? I've sometimes
had this in the past with other cards and the manufacturer's blob.

Dave

--
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Douglas Adams in one of the Hitchiker novels...

Old 07-29-2011, 11:51 AM
R Kimber

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:51:19 -0700
Dave Stevens wrote:

> My friend has a U11.04 box with an nvidia 240 GPU. He complained of
> graphic speed issues. I can verify that it is slow. I looked to see what
> driver was in use and in particular checked for the manufactiurer's
> driver. I seems that the nvidia driver is installed but not enabled. How

How did you check that it was not enabled? There is a long-standing bug in
the program that detects whether proprietary drivers are in use that shows
the driver as not enabled when it actually is. You could try using
nvidia-settings to check, or you might notice the nvidia splash screen when
you reboot.

For what it's worth, I find 11.04 to be slower than previous versions. And
I also started to get graphic corruption when switching desktops as soon as
I upgraded to 11.04. My guess is that there's also a problem either with
the driver or with some aspect of the X system.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 07-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Conny Enström

My friend has a U11.04 box with an nvidia 240 GPU. He complained of graphic
speed issues. I can verify that it is slow. I looked to see what driver was in
use and in particular checked for the manufactiurer's driver. I seems that the
nvidia driver is installed but not enabled. How do I enable this? what is the
fallback if enabling it causes more-or-less severe problems? I've sometimes
had this in the past with other cards and the manufacturer's blob.

Dave

Run from the commandline: sudo nvidia-xconfig
And the config file is created, reboot and the gfx should be enabled and
have openGL.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Ahsan Zahid

i have faced this problem for a long time then i download the drive from Nvidia web
and install now it works just fine for me

you have to install it in console
1st press Ctrl+Alt+F1
then type sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
then install the .run file as root sudo sh *.run
then type sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
it is done (the Additional Driver will not show that is install or Active)
but you can see Unity has run already*

Thank You

Ahsan Zahid Cowdhury

Old 08-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Dave Stevens

Richard,

at:

choked.ca/nvidia.png

is a screenshot showing the basis for me thinking the driver is
installed but not in use.

I've done as Conny suggested with no apparent change. Scrolling on a
page of mostly text is poor, the refresh is way slower than even a
casual scroll.

I have not yet done as Ahsan suggested, being lazy. But thanks for the
suggestion, I may still have to do this.

A related concern is measurement of graphic card performance, I don't
know what metric to use. If it is significant I can report that
glxgears runs and shows about 5000 FPS. Is there some other tool I
could better use?

Dave

--
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Krishnamurti

Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 15:07 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> choked.ca/nvidia.png

cd into /etc/X11 and check what your xorg.conf file contains. It should
show that the driver is set to nvidia. Like this:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

If you ain't got that, then for about the nth time this week, just crank
up nvidia X Server Settings, and let it save your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file after you've messed around with the various settings. It should ask
for your su password. Sometimes that bit gets hidden behind. Once it's
written it should be all enabled for you then. Then recheck your
xorg.conf file and it should be corrected. Reboot and you might see the
nvidia splash screen.

If not working now, something is seriously hammered. But, I personally
wouldn't use the nVidia supplied dot-run file. It uses different library
directories to install it's files to and something is bound to go wonky,
although I used it for years with RedHat as I had ~no other option~.

Stick with the Ubuntu supplied route, if at all possible. Raise hell
about it, if it remains broken, with a bug report Ric

p/s I'm getting almost 30,000 fps, using glxgears, with an old crufty
FX-5500 board. You should be doing a LOT better with newer kit than my
old tired sh*t.

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Basil Chupin

cd into /etc/X11 and check what your xorg.conf file contains. It should
show that the driver is set to nvidia. Like this:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

If you ain't got that, then for about the nth time this week, just crank
up nvidia X Server Settings, and let it save your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

It may be prudent to be cautious about offering this advice about
xorg.conf because this is no longer generated as the video settings are
generated "on the fly" when the system is booted.

However, I believe, that it is generated if you use the nvidia settings
menu (or some command line instruction).

file after you've messed around with the various settings. It should ask
for your su password. Sometimes that bit gets hidden behind. Once it's
written it should be all enabled for you then. Then recheck your
xorg.conf file and it should be corrected. Reboot and you might see the
nvidia splash screen.

If not working now, something is seriously hammered. But, I personally
wouldn't use the nVidia supplied dot-run file. It uses different library
directories to install it's files to and something is bound to go wonky,

To this very day I always use the "sh NVIDIA*.run" file, downloaded
directly from the nVidia site itself, to install the nVidia driver.
Never a hitch, never a problem.

But you do need to have installed the "kernel-source", "make", and "gcc"
before doing this, as well as being in init 3 and logged in as root.

although I used it for years with RedHat as I had ~no other option~.

Stick with the Ubuntu supplied route, if at all possible. Raise hell
about it, if it remains broken, with a bug report Ric

p/s I'm getting almost 30,000 fps, using glxgears, with an old crufty
FX-5500 board.

I's rather curious about this 'cause you have mentioned this card
several times :-) .

May I ask the brand/manufacturer of this FX5500 card?

Reason for asking is that I have this card installed on my wife's
computer and even though it has DVI output it will NOT work with digital
output, but will only perform when set to analog.

BC

--
Paradise is like Hell and neither is too far from you because both are creations of your mind and therefore both are already inside you.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Avi Greenbury

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 04/08/11 16:13, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 15:07 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> >> choked.ca/nvidia.png
> > cd into /etc/X11 and check what your xorg.conf file contains. It
> > should show that the driver is set to nvidia. Like this:
> > Section "Device"
> > Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> > Driver "nvidia"
> > EndSection
> >
> > If you ain't got that, then for about the nth time this week, just
> > crank up nvidia X Server Settings, and let it save
> > your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

No, but X still parses xorg.conf and uses the parameters therein to
overide what it guesses, which is handy for when it guesses wrong. That
feature of NVidia's 'X Server Settings' is there for precisely that
reason.

--
Avi

Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 16:57 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 04/08/11 16:13, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 15:07 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> >> choked.ca/nvidia.png
> > cd into /etc/X11 and check what your xorg.conf file contains. It should
> > show that the driver is set to nvidia. Like this:
> > Section "Device"
> > Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> > Driver "nvidia"
> > EndSection
> >
> > If you ain't got that, then for about the nth time this week, just crank
> > up nvidia X Server Settings, and let it save your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> It may be prudent to be cautious about offering this advice about
> xorg.conf because this is no longer generated as the video settings are
> generated "on the fly" when the system is booted.

...and you will get some generic display as well.

> However, I believe, that it is generated if you use the nvidia settings
> menu (or some command line instruction).

that's what I'm outlining here...
> > file after you've messed around with the various settings. It should ask
> > for your su password. Sometimes that bit gets hidden behind. Once it's
> > written it should be all enabled for you then. Then recheck your
> > xorg.conf file and it should be corrected. Reboot and you might see the
> > nvidia splash screen.
> >
> > If not working now, something is seriously hammered. But, I personally
> > wouldn't use the nVidia supplied dot-run file. It uses different library
> > directories to install it's files to and something is bound to go wonky,
>
> To this very day I always use the "sh NVIDIA*.run" file, downloaded
> directly from the nVidia site itself, to install the nVidia driver.
> Never a hitch, never a problem.
>
> But you do need to have installed the "kernel-source", "make", and "gcc"
> before doing this, as well as being in init 3 and logged in as root.

There you have it, you may do this, but many have no business doing
that.
> > although I used it for years with RedHat as I had ~no other option~.
> >
> > Stick with the Ubuntu supplied route, if at all possible. Raise hell
> > about it, if it remains broken, with a bug report Ric
> >
> > p/s I'm getting almost 30,000 fps, using glxgears, with an old crufty
> > FX-5500 board.
>
> I's rather curious about this 'cause you have mentioned this card
> several times :-) .
>
> May I ask the brand/manufacturer of this FX5500 card?

GeForce FX 5500

> Reason for asking is that I have this card installed on my wife's
> computer and even though it has DVI output it will NOT work with digital
> output, but will only perform when set to analog.

No clue as I use that extra port with a converter plug to drive my
second display. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 08:47 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
> > > cd into /etc/X11 and check what your xorg.conf file contains. It
> > > should show that the driver is set to nvidia. Like this:
> > > Section "Device"
> > > Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> > > Driver "nvidia"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > If you ain't got that, then for about the nth time this week, just
> > > crank up nvidia X Server Settings, and let it save
> > > your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >

> No, but X still parses xorg.conf and uses the parameters therein to
> overide what it guesses, which is handy for when it guesses wrong. That
> feature of NVidia's 'X Server Settings' is there for precisely that
> reason.

Thankfully, we still have that, too! Ric

Linux user# 44256