Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Nils Kassube

Default nvidia driver enabling in 11.04?

Basil Chupin wrote:
> To this very day I always use the "sh NVIDIA*.run" file, downloaded
> directly from the nVidia site itself, to install the nVidia driver.
> Never a hitch, never a problem.
>
> But you do need to have installed the "kernel-source", "make", and
> "gcc" before doing this, as well as being in init 3 and logged in as
> root.

Are you talking about Ubuntu or Red Hat? And if it is Ubuntu, what is
init 3 in your setup? On a standard Ubuntu system all runlevels 2 to 5
are equal and the default is runlevel 2. On a standard system you would
close the X server to install the nvidia driver with the command

sudo stop gdm

(replace gdm with kdm if that's what you're using).

Nils

Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Basil Chupin