FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Steve Flynn
 
Default Went Back To Windows(R)...

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
*


I find Windows Vista/7 is hard to navigate then DOS/3.1/95/98/ME/XP

(don't f*ck with things that work)

Really? What aspect do you find more difficult?
I see you include*Millennium*Edition in that list, which really was dire but I find it hard to comprehend how you can find Windows 7 "hard(er) to navigate" than DOS or 3.1.


That basically says that the hundreds of millions of man-hours poured into GUI development, design and coding standards have been a complete waste for you, which is tragic.
--


Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Johnny Rosenberg
 
Default Went Back To Windows(R)...

2011/7/28 Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO@aol.com>:
> Went Back To Windows(R)...

Don't you have the ® character easily available in Windows®?


Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Douglas Pollard
 
Default Went Back To Windows(R)...

On 07/29/2011 11:27 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

2011/7/28 Jesse Palser<SLNTHERO@aol.com>:

Went Back To Windows(R)...

Don't you have the ® character easily available in Windows®?


Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ
I think it takes a lot of guts to go back to windows from Ubuntu. I
threaten myself with that every once in a while, but I don't do it. If
Ubuntu is a pain in the butt windows is like a stab through the neck.
The only thing good about windows is that when you get old, and
struggle with keeping things working there are always neighbors who have
children that can help.
Of course with Linux you can get on-line help but when we keep
asking the same dumb questions everyone gets tired of helping and they
sort of cut you loose.
Having said that I find I am mentally sharper than many my age and
I believe learning and working with Linux has greatly contributed to
that. There is little mental challenge to using windows but on the
other hand it is not much good for anything but doing e-mail unless for
example you want to spend a pile of money to buy a program to do what
you want to do. I truly believe this. I also have learned to ask for
help less and google more.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Jeffrey Gray
 
Default Went Back To Windows(R)...

My biggest beef with Linux in general is the lack of support for multi
monitor systems. I have 4 20" LCDs on this machine and am only using
one. I have had all 4 going in the past but it was a pain and had no
visual effects functional.



On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 07/29/2011 11:27 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>> 2011/7/28 Jesse Palser<SLNTHERO@aol.com>:
>>>
>>> Went Back To Windows(R)...
>>
>> Don't you have the (R) character easily available in Windows(R)?
>>
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ
>
> I think it takes a lot of guts to go back to windows from Ubuntu. I
> threaten myself with that every once in a while, but I don't do it. If
> Ubuntu is a pain in the butt windows is like a stab through the neck.
> The only thing good about windows is that when you get old, and struggle
> with keeping things working there are always neighbors who have children
> that can help.
> Of course with Linux you can get on-line help but when we keep asking the
> same dumb questions everyone gets tired of helping and they sort of cut you
> loose.
> Having said that I find I am mentally sharper than many my age and I
> believe learning and working with Linux has greatly contributed to that.
> There is little mental challenge to using windows but on the other hand it
> is not much good for anything but doing e-mail unless for example you want
> to spend a pile of money to buy a program to do what you want to do. I
> truly believe this. I also have learned to ask for help less and google
> more.
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2011, 04:48 PM
"Jordon Bedwell"
 
Default Went Back To Windows(R)...

On Fri, July 29, 2011 9:16 am, Jeffrey Gray wrote:
> My biggest beef with Linux in general is the lack of support for multi
> monitor systems. I have 4 20" LCDs on this machine and am only using
> one. I have had all 4 going in the past but it was a pain and had no
> visual effects functional.

I didn't know Hot Wheels made miniature monitors for desktops. My biggest
complaint is people who don't realise it was probably their hardware...



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Jeffrey Gray
 
Default Went Back To Windows(R)...

Well, it works fine with windows. two PNY 8800 cards on an Asus P6Q
board. Pretty straight forward.

I am afraid that I am missing your point with the "Hot Wheels"
statement? Was that your attempt at being rude?






On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On Fri, July 29, 2011 9:16 am, Jeffrey Gray wrote:
>> My biggest beef with Linux in general is the lack of support for multi
>> monitor systems. *I have 4 20" LCDs on this machine and am only using
>> one. *I have had all 4 going in the past but it was a pain and had no
>> visual effects functional.
>
> I didn't know Hot Wheels made miniature monitors for desktops. *My biggest
> complaint is people who don't realise it was probably their hardware...
>
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2011, 05:44 PM
"Jordon Bedwell"
 
Default Went Back To Windows(R)...

On Fri, July 29, 2011 10:02 am, Jeffrey Gray wrote:
> Well, it works fine with windows. two PNY 8800 cards on an Asus P6Q
> board. Pretty straight forward.

I don't know if you missed it, but just in-case you did, Windows is not
Linux and Linux does not use DirectX. So your reference to Windows was
completely futile and irrelevant to Linux in general. Hardware vendors
spend an enormous amount of time making sure their graphics cards work
flawlessly on Windows and with DirectX, yes they do care about Linux but
sometimes you need to make sure to pick out a graphics card that is
/known/ to play very well with Linux. Also, Asus P6Q? I can't even help
you there because I've never heard of that board (and trust me I would
have heard about it if it is ASUS since I live and die by ASUS hardware)
by chance do you mean P6T? And if you do, then we are brothers in arms as
I still use that board! (I'm not taking the mick here) I refuse to get rid
of it because it's rock solid but I certainly would have gone with an ATI
graphics chip, but anybody who has ever read most of my posts knows I'm
also a die hard ATI fan.

> I am afraid that I am missing your point with the "Hot Wheels"
> statement? Was that your attempt at being rude?

One cannot attempt to be rude, you either are rude or you are not. I was
being rude I won't deny that. It was also an attempt to take the mick.
But (yes I like to lead with that word sometimes,) in my defense I was
truly amazed at your efforts to find such a small monitor because at every
one of my vendors you have to literally go out of your way and spend time
searching for the small monitors for a desktop, one of them won't even
carry anything under 23" unless it's attached directly to a laptop. It's
like the hunt for that collectors edition Hot Wheels car. Oh the
memories.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Frank McCormick
 
Default Went Back To Windows(R)...

On 29/07/11 01:44 PM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:

On Fri, July 29, 2011 10:02 am, Jeffrey Gray wrote:

Well, it works fine with windows. two PNY 8800 cards on an Asus P6Q
board. Pretty straight forward.


I don't know if you missed it, but just in-case you did, Windows is not
Linux and Linux does not use DirectX. So your reference to Windows was
completely futile and irrelevant to Linux in general. Hardware vendors
spend an enormous amount of time making sure their graphics cards work
flawlessly on Windows and with DirectX, yes they do care about Linux but
sometimes you need to make sure to pick out a graphics card that is
/known/ to play very well with Linux. Also, Asus P6Q? I can't even help
you there because I've never heard of that board (and trust me I would
have heard about it if it is ASUS since I live and die by ASUS hardware)



A google search turns up this forum question and answer:

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4265

Configuration for F3-12800CL9T6GBNQ with Asus P6Q motherboard



--
Cheers
Frank

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 PM
"Jordon Bedwell"
 
Default Went Back To Windows(R)...

On Fri, July 29, 2011 11:31 am, Frank McCormick wrote:
> A google search turns up this forum question and answer:
> http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4265
> Configuration for F3-12800CL9T6GBNQ with Asus P6Q motherboard

A from the horses mouth search turns none:
http://usa.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=P6Q
http://uk.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=P6Q
http://www.asus.com.cn/Search/?SearchKey=P6Q

TG (to whom I also called to see if there was an out of stock number:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=P6Q


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Jeffrey Gray
 
Default Went Back To Windows(R)...

You're right. It is a P6T Deluxe.

As far as buying Linux friendly hardware, this machine was built
before I went to Linux as a desktop OS so I was not concerned with
compatability.

As far as my argument for going back to windows being futile, I think
that you are trying to over analyse this. I simply stated that I am
about to because it is easier to use my 4 monitors in windows. I
don't care if I should have bought this or should have bought that
years ago when I built this machine. It is just easier with what I
have to function the monitors in windows given the larger support for
that environment.

Yes...20" LCD monitors. Now I'll really blow your mind. They are 4:3
standard aspect ratio. 5 years ago they were considered to be quite
large. Hell, they are old enough that I am already having to replace
some of the caps on their inverter boards.




On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On Fri, July 29, 2011 11:31 am, Frank McCormick wrote:
>> * A google search turns up this forum question and answer:
>> * http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4265
>> * Configuration for F3-12800CL9T6GBNQ with Asus P6Q motherboard
>
> A from the horses mouth search turns none:
> http://usa.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=P6Q
> http://uk.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=P6Q
> http://www.asus.com.cn/Search/?SearchKey=P6Q
>
> TG (to whom I also called to see if there was an out of stock number:
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=P6Q
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:12 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org