Old 07-27-2011, 02:48 PM
CJ

Default salvaging a dying hard disk

I'm attempting to save some data - not necessarily all - from a disk
that is failing or possibly I'm afraid already dead and gone.

I've attached it along with a good drive to one machine and booted into
an Ubuntu live disk. The good disk shows up (sudo fdisk -l) but the
other does not appear.

Am I sol at this point or is there a way to force the drive to appear?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 PM
nathan nolast

is the drive an internal drive or an external drive? have you tried any of the "put your hard drive in the freezer" tricks?

have you tried to mount the drive from terminal? from my understanding there is a force mount option "-o force"

I'm attempting to save some data - not necessarily all - from a disk that is failing or possibly I'm afraid already dead and gone.

I've attached it along with a good drive to one machine and booted into an Ubuntu live disk. The good disk shows up (sudo fdisk -l) but the other does not appear.

Am I sol at this point or is there a way to force the drive to appear?

Thank you for your time
~Nathan
nathan1465@gmail.com

Old 07-27-2011, 03:26 PM