Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Ernest Doub

Default salvaging a dying hard disk

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Juan R. de Silva <juan.r.d.silva@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:47:06 -0500, Curt wrote:

> On 07/27/2011 11:12 AM, compdoc wrote:

>> >It is an internal drive. However I do have a USB/SATA adapter

>> >I could try. not sure if that would make a difference or not.

>> Internal connections are the best way. Leave it as is. Since you've

>> booted Ubuntu Live, you have the gnome Disk Manager (palimpsest). Does

>> that see the drive?

>> Does the drive show up in the motherboard bios?

> Neither disk manager nor BIOS see the drive. BIOS also does not see the

> good one, though disk manager does. Both are SATA disks.

> The motherboard is an ASUS A7V8X-X. Unlike my newer mobo, the BIOS in

> this one does not have a boot option that shows all connected hard

> drives, only "CD-ROM", "Removable Device", "IDE Hard Drive" and "Other

> boot device".

> IDE is showing only "none" and "disabled" for choices.

I think at this point you should first stop trying it in vain. Every

single time you connect you drive and try to mount it increases chances

to kill drive completely drastically.

I am not pretending to be giving you the best advise available. But if I

were you, I would try the "put your hard drive in the freezer" trick at

this point, with some addition though.

Freeze it, then connect as internal HD, and then instead of trying to

mount it yourself from any LiveCD boot into Clonezilla and let it try to

do the job for you.

If Clonezilla succeeds to mount it you would be able to clone it at once.

If Clonezilla would not mount it I doubt you would do a better job

yourself.

*
You need to buy a copy of Spinrite.
Just Google it.** It might seem pricey* but is IMHO the best chance for salvaging a failing/failed drive.
Works at a very low level as it installs its own DOS from the CD onto your computer.* I've used it to save data off of several failing drives and recover portions of other drives that had been blocked by power failures or windoze blowing up.

Develop a plan for your recovery efforts before you try anything more as every attempt to work with it just brings you closer to the ultimate failure.
On the freezer trick.* Set the thermostat as low as it will go and give it at least 72 hours to get the temperature as low as it will go.* Once you put the drive in don't open the door until you are ready to work with it as each opening raises the temperature inside the box.

When Government fears the people there is Liberty.
When People fear the Government there is Tyranny.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Curt Tresenriter

wrote:

> On 07/27/2011 11:12 AM, compdoc wrote:

>> >It is an internal drive. However I do have a
USB/SATA adapter

>> >I could try. not sure if that would make a
difference or not.

>> Internal connections are the best way. Leave it
as is. Since you've

>> booted Ubuntu Live, you have the gnome Disk
Manager (palimpsest). Does

>> that see the drive?

>> Does the drive show up in the motherboard bios?

> Neither disk manager nor BIOS see the drive. BIOS
also does not see the

> good one, though disk manager does. Both are SATA
disks.

> The motherboard is an ASUS A7V8X-X. Unlike my newer
mobo, the BIOS in

> this one does not have a boot option that shows all
connected hard

> drives, only "CD-ROM", "Removable Device", "IDE Hard
Drive" and "Other

> boot device".

> IDE is showing only "none" and "disabled" for
choices.

I think at this point you should first stop trying it in vain.
Every

single time you connect you drive and try to mount it
increases chances

to kill drive completely drastically.

I am not pretending to be giving you the best advise
available. But if I

were you, I would try the "put your hard drive in the freezer"
trick at

this point, with some addition though.

Freeze it, then connect as internal HD, and then instead of
trying to

mount it yourself from any LiveCD boot into Clonezilla and let
it try to

do the job for you.

If Clonezilla succeeds to mount it you would be able to clone
it at once.

If Clonezilla would not mount it I doubt you would do a better
job

yourself.

*

You need to buy a copy of Spinrite.

I have never had to use Spinrite to recover data before and had
forgotten about it. Unfortunately it doesn't see the disk either.

Time for the freezer treatment.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Curt Tresenriter

Freeze it, then connect as internal HD, and then instead of trying to
mount it yourself from any LiveCD boot into Clonezilla and let it try to
do the job for you.

If Clonezilla succeeds to mount it you would be able to clone it at once.
If Clonezilla would not mount it I doubt you would do a better job
yourself.

Clonezilla was my first thought - problem is I don't have enough disk
space to copy the whole drive and I really only need to save a small
portion of it.
At this point though it looks like this is my last/best option, other
than paying way more money than it's worth to have it professionally
recovered.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:00 PM
"compdoc"

>I have never had to use Spinrite to recover data before
>and had forgotten about it. Unfortunately it doesn't see the disk either.
Â*
Spinrite is a great tool, but it has a few flaws: it's too old now and can't work with disks that are 1TB or larger. And if you have a lot of bad sectors, it can literally takes days to try to fix things. Working your drive for days might not be the best thing for a failing disk.
Â*
Freezing hard drives sounds a bit voodoo to me - you might have the same luck by swinging a dead cat over your head three times. But good luck, and let us know if it helped…

Old 07-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Curt Tresenriter

On 7/28/2011 10:00 AM, compdoc wrote:

>I have never
had to use Spinrite to recover data before

>and had
forgotten about it. Unfortunately it doesn't see the disk
either.

Â*

Spinrite is a
great tool, but it has a few flaws: it's too old now and
can't work with disks that are 1TB or larger. And if you
have a lot of bad sectors, it can literally takes days to
try to fix things. Working your drive for days might not
be the best thing for a failing disk.

Â*

Freezing hard
drives sounds a bit voodoo to me - you might have the same
luck by swinging a dead cat over your head three times.
But good luck, and let us know if it helped…

Yeah, I'm not too sure about it myself - there seems to be differing
opinions on the subject, some claim success - at this point I guess
it can't hurt.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Ernest Doub

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:00 AM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:

>I have never had to use Spinrite to recover data before

>and had forgotten about it. Unfortunately it doesn't see the disk either.

Â*
Spinrite is a great tool, but it has a few flaws: it's too old now and can't work with disks that are 1TB or larger. And if you have a lot of bad sectors, it can literally takes days to try to fix things. Working your drive for days might not be the best thing for a failing disk.

Â*
Freezing hard drives sounds a bit voodoo to me - you might have the same luck by swinging a dead cat over your head three times. But good luck, and let us know if it helped…

The freezer technique works if there is a stuck read/write head. No voodoo involved, simple physics.Â* The reduction in temperature changes the dimensions of moving parts enough to [sometimes] allow a stuck mechanism to unstick long enough to perform data recovery.

The clearances on these drives are in the ten thousandths of an inch range [or metric equivalent] so a temperature reduction below the normal operating range can unstick a stuck bearing.
If there is surface damage to the platter or a failure of the supporting hardware you are sadly out of luck.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:27 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Thu, July 28, 2011 17:00, compdoc wrote:

> Freezing hard drives sounds a bit voodoo to me - you might have the same
> luck by swinging a dead cat over your head three times. But good luck, and
> let us know if it helped.

It's not voodoo, it's physics. When you chill the drive, it shrinks and
tightens up the mechanical parts that may have loosened, improves
electrical issues (think cracked solder joints), as well as the old adage
that electronics generally run better when cold.

It works in some cases, but in other cases it may make matters even worse.
It will also put a lot more mechanical stress on the parts (thermal
shrinking/expanding), speeding up the final death of the drive. So it's
something you do when the drive is already written off as a total loss.

--
Amedee

Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Colin Law

On 28 July 2011 16:00, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Freezing hard drives sounds a bit voodoo to me - you might have the same
> luck by swinging a dead cat over your head three times. But good luck, and
> let us know if it helped…

I am not sure it is quite as much voodoo as swinging a cat (dead or
alive). At least putting it in the freezer is having some effect on
it (ie making it colder). That will have *some* effect on the
operation of the electronics, magnetics and mechanics. Whether it has
any material effect and whether that effect is beneficial or otherwise
is another matter.

Colin

Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Curt Tresenriter

wrote:

>I have
never had to use Spinrite to recover data before

>and
had forgotten about it. Unfortunately it doesn't see
the disk either.

Â*

Spinrite
is a great tool, but it has a few flaws: it's too
old now and can't work with disks that are 1TB or
larger. And if you have a lot of bad sectors, it can
literally takes days to try to fix things. Working
your drive for days might not be the best thing for
a failing disk.

Â*

Freezing
hard drives sounds a bit voodoo to me - you might
have the same luck by swinging a dead cat over your
head three times. But good luck, and let us know if
it helped…

The freezer technique works if there is a stuck read/write head.
No voodoo involved, simple physics.Â* The reduction in temperature
changes the dimensions of moving parts enough to [sometimes] allow
a stuck mechanism to unstick long enough to perform data recovery.

The clearances on these drives are in the ten thousandths of an
inch range [or metric equivalent] so a temperature reduction below
the normal operating range can unstick a stuck bearing.

If there is surface damage to the platter or a failure of the
supporting hardware you are sadly out of luck.

--

When Government fears the people there is Liberty.

When People fear the Government there is Tyranny.

Good news! The disk was working just a few weeks ago but acting
strangely so I removed it from service until I could deal with it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Great sig BTW

Old 07-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Curt Tresenriter

On 7/28/2011 10:29 AM, Colin Law wrote:

On 28 July 2011 16:00, compdoc<compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
Whether it has any material effect and whether that effect is
beneficial or otherwise is another matter.

Colin

It will be a bit before I can try it but I'll let you all know what happens.