Old 11-26-2007, 05:07 PM
norman

Default digital video

Looking at System -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and Media ->
Cameras -> Digital Video Cameras when I tick the box I am then expected
to enter a Command. I would normally use Kino to edit my videos so what
would the Command be please?

Norman

Old 11-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Dan Dennedy

norman <norman <at> littletank.org> writes:
> Looking at System -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and Media ->
> Cameras -> Digital Video Cameras when I tick the box I am then expected
> to enter a Command. I would normally use Kino to edit my videos so what
> would the Command be please?

Did you already try "kino"?
--
Dan Dennedy
Kino Lead Developer

Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 AM
norman

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 22:48 +0000, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> norman <norman <at> littletank.org> writes:
> > Looking at System -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and Media ->
> > Cameras -> Digital Video Cameras when I tick the box I am then expected
> > to enter a Command. I would normally use Kino to edit my videos so what
> > would the Command be please?
>

> Did you already try "kino"?

No, I thought it might be more complicated than that. I will give it a
try and if it does not work I'll be back.

Norman

Old 11-28-2007, 11:00 AM
anthony baldwin

norman wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 22:48 +0000, Dan Dennedy wrote:
>
>> norman <norman <at> littletank.org> writes:
>>
>>> Looking at System -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and Media ->
>>> Cameras -> Digital Video Cameras when I tick the box I am then expected
>>> to enter a Command. I would normally use Kino to edit my videos so what
>>> would the Command be please?
>>>
>> Did you already try "kino"?
>>

> No, I thought it might be more complicated than that. I will give it a
> try and if it does not work I'll be back.
>
> Norman

Either that or something like "/usr/bin/kino".
To determine precisely where kino is, open a terminal and do
whereis kino

/tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting

Old 11-28-2007, 03:13 PM
norman

> Did you already try "kino"?

I entered kino in the space provided, plugged in the firewire connection
to the camera, switched on and nothing happened. I was hoping that kino
would have started when the connection was made. I also
tried /usr/bin/kino but the result was the same.

Norman

Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Darren Mansell

You normally need to sudo chmod 777 /dev/raw1394 unless you are in the
disk group.

If it says no such file or directory then sudo modprobe raw1394

Make sure the camera is turned before going into Kino.

Oh and read the help for Kino. Its much better and more intuitive than
it first seems.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:05 AM
Dan Dennedy

norman <norman <at> littletank.org> writes:

> > Did you already try "kino"?
>
> I entered kino in the space provided, plugged in the firewire connection
> to the camera, switched on and nothing happened. I was hoping that kino
> would have started when the connection was made. I also
> tried /usr/bin/kino but the result was the same.

There must be be some miscommunication between kernel, udev or uevents, and hal
preventing this from working. I think this used to work with hotplug, but I
don't what has happened since much of this changed during the kernel 2.6 series.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 AM
norman

> You normally need to sudo chmod 777 /dev/raw1394 unless you are in the
> disk group.
>
> If it says no such file or directory then sudo modprobe raw1394
>
> Make sure the camera is turned before going into Kino.
>
> Oh and read the help for Kino. Its much better and more intuitive than
> it first seems.

I have no problem in starting and using Kino, I was just trying to see
if Kino would start automatically when I connected the camera.

Norman