Old 07-25-2011, 01:04 PM
"sandman42@libero.it"

Default Natty reinstall saving encrypted home

Hi,

I'd like to reinstall natty from scratch, but saving my encrypted home.

How can I do that?

Thanks

Old 07-26-2011, 01:01 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 07/25/2011 08:04 AM, sandman42@libero.it wrote:
> I'd like to reinstall natty from scratch, but saving my encrypted home.
> How can I do that?

Choose manual partitioning when Ubiquity loads up, clear everything but
your home partition and the installer will do the rest. If you don't
have a seperate home partition then well, you're going to need to make
it it's own partition: and a quick google search
http://www.google.com/search?move+home+to+own+partition should get you
off on the right feet for doing that.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM
Alan Pope

On 26 July 2011 02:01, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> Choose manual partitioning when Ubiquity loads up, clear everything but
> your home partition and the installer will do the rest. *If you don't
> have a seperate home partition then well, you're going to need to make
> it it's own partition:

You do not need a separate home partition in order to reinstall and
keep the contents of your home directory. In Ubiquity if you choose
manual partition and just make sure you _don't_ tick 'Format' on the
partition containing / (and by implication /home) then it will wipe
everything _except_ /home/* out and thus you'll keep your home data.

However I have never tested this with an ecrytfs home directory, so
don't know if there is some metadata (like your passphrase) held
elsewhere. I suspect you'll need to know the passphrase to 'unlock'
your home directory.

However after looking at
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedPrivateDirectory#Recovering
Your Mount Passphrase> it seems the metadata is in
/home/username/.ecryptfs so would be retained in this scenario.

Al.