Old 07-24-2011, 05:19 PM
MirJafar Ali

Default Xorg.conf problem

Hello,

Since I don't have xorg.conf in the /etc/X11 directory, I tried creating by issuing the following command

sudo X -configure

and I get the following messages:

X.Org X Server 1.10.1

Release Date: 2011-04-15
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-29-server x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux blackhole 2.6.38-10-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 28 15:07:17 UTC 2011 x86_64

Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-10-generic root=UUID=99101c71-6cdd-413e-b3ea-422154c3c8e0 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
Build Date: 21 May 2011* 11:48:41AM
xorg-server 2:1.10.1-1ubuntu1.1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)

Current version of pixman: 0.20.2
*** Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
*** to make sure that you have the latest version.

*** (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
*** (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Jul 24 12:13:37 2011
List of video drivers:

*** tseng
*** tdfx
*** s3virge
*** neomagic
*** apm
*** mga
*** rendition
*** sisusb
*** s3
*** vmwlegacy
*** openchrome
*** voodoo
*** mach64
*** siliconmotion
*** cirrus
*** i128

*** trident
*** nouveau
*** qxl
*** chips
*** savage
*** sis
*** ark
*** vmware
*** ati
*** intel
*** r128
*** nvidia
*** radeon
*** fbdev
*** vesa
(EE) Failed to load module "vmwgfx" (module does not exist, 0)

(EE) vmware: Please ignore the above warnings about not being able to to load module/driver vmwgfx
(EE) vmware: Unexpected failure while loading the "vmwlegacy" driver. Giving up.
(EE) Failed to load module "vmware" (a required submodule could not be loaded, 0)

(++) Using config file: "/home/csverma/xorg.conf.new"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) [drm] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol
Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.

* Configuration failed.
*ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

And I do not know what are these error and how to proceed further. Can someone help ?

Mir

Old 07-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 12:19 -0500, MirJafar Ali wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since I don't have xorg.conf in the /etc/X11 directory, I tried
> creating by issuing the following command

What kind of video card do you have? If nVidia, it will write the
xorg.conf file for you with the nVidia X server tool. Just set things
the way you want them and then allow it to write the file. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 PM
MirJafar Ali

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 12:19 -0500, MirJafar Ali wrote:

> Hello,

> Since I don't have xorg.conf in the /etc/X11 directory, I tried

> creating by issuing the following command

What kind of video card do you have? If nVidia, it will write the

xorg.conf file for you with the nVidia X server tool. Just set things

the way you want them and then allow it to write the file. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Yes, I am using Nvidia card. Presently there is no xorg.conf file in the /etc/X11 and it seems that
nvidia-xconfig requires that file to be present. There just to give a try, I created one empty file

xorg.conf in that directory, but it seems that the nvidia-xconfig needs at least one Device, which
I don't know what to put.

Mir

Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 18:54 -0500, MirJafar Ali wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, I am using Nvidia card. Presently there is no xorg.conf file in
> the /etc/X11 and it seems that
> nvidia-xconfig requires that file to be present. There just to give a
> try, I created one empty file
> xorg.conf in that directory, but it seems that the nvidia-xconfig
> needs at least one Device, which
> I don't know what to put.

Crank up Hardware Drivers (jockey) and make sure that your nVidia
drivers are installed and in use. Then go through the settings with the
nVidia X Server Settings tool, select your monitor resolution, etc, and
then, under the X Server Display Configuration tab, you will see "Save
to X Configuration File" in the lower right corner. Click on that, and
select the default "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and check "Merge with existing
file". It should ask for your passwd and then save it for you. Piece O
cake! Then log out of your session and back in again. Enjoy! Ric

Linux user# 44256