Old 07-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Ben Tinner

Default shutdown restarts laptop

On 21 July 2011 08:21, Firesam <ubuntu@e17th.com> wrote:

> I am having a very strange (to me at least) problem with my laptop
> computer. It took a while until I was able to replicate the exact
> circumstances that caused it. Whenever I shutdown the laptop restarts
> and does not power off. Just incase that is not annoying enough when it
> restarts the internal kb and mouse are disabled. Interstingly enough mot
> only that this is not caused by choosing restart (the kb/mouse thing)
> but restart fixes it and re-enables the kb and mouse.
>
> I don't know if this is related but in grub choosing a command line and
> typing halt just freezes and does not power off. reboot does reboot.
>
> I can supply (I think)
any files/logs etc.. that will help.

> Thanks.

Use the command "init 0"

Old 07-24-2011, 03:08 AM
Firesam

On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 16:44 +0800, Ben Tinner wrote:
> On 21 July 2011 08:21, Firesam <ubuntu@e17th.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am having a very strange (to me at least) problem with my laptop
> > computer. It took a while until I was able to replicate the exact
> > circumstances that caused it. Whenever I shutdown the laptop
> restarts
> > and does not power off. Just incase that is not annoying enough when
> it
> > restarts the internal kb and mouse are disabled. Interstingly enough
> mot
> > only that this is not caused by choosing restart (the kb/mouse
> thing)
> > but restart fixes it and re-enables the kb and mouse.
> >
> > I don't know if this is related but in grub choosing a command line
> and
> > typing halt just freezes and does not power off. reboot does reboot.
> >
> > I can supply (I think) any files/logs etc.. that will help.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Use the command "init 0"

Yes that does shutdown but is there a way to fix the normal shutdown
option on the panel button?

Old 07-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Ben Tinner

On Saturday, 23 July 2011 8:08 PM, Firesam wrote:
>Yes that does shutdown but is there a way to fix the normal shutdown
>option on the panel button?
Try reinstalling the shutdown program.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Firesam

On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 17:31 +0800, Ben Tinner wrote:

> Try reinstalling the shutdown program.

How? Also how can I change the shutdown action to " init 0" (if thats
not the default)?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Ben Tinner

On Monday, 25 July 2011 2:28 PM, Firesam wrote:
>On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 17:31 +0800, Ben Tinner wrote:
>

>> Try reinstalling the shutdown program.
>>

>How? Also how can I change the shutdown action to " init 0" (if thats
>not the default)?

Very easy! Just run the Package Manager, find 'shutdown' and reinstall it.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 26/07/11 04:34, Ben Tinner wrote:

> Very easy! Just run the Package Manager, find 'shutdown' and reinstall it.

Shutdown is not a package. It's provided by upstart if I remember right

Old 07-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Colin Law

On 23 July 2011 09:44, Ben Tinner <bentinner@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:
> On 21 July 2011 08:21, Firesam <ubuntu@e17th.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am having a very strange (to me at least) problem with my laptop
>> computer. It took a while until I was able to replicate the exact
>> circumstances that caused it. Whenever I shutdown the laptop restarts
>> and does not power off. Just incase that is not annoying enough when it
>> restarts the internal kb and mouse are disabled. Interstingly enough mot
>> only that this is not caused by choosing restart (the kb/mouse thing)
>> but restart fixes it and re-enables the kb and mouse.

I don't know whether I can help, probably not, but just to clarify the
problem does the PC go through a re-boot cycle (showing BIOS startup
and so on) or does a shutdown attempt just have the same effect as a
logout, taking you back to the login screen without a full re-boot.

Colin

Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Firesam

On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 14:07 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 23 July 2011 09:44, Ben Tinner <bentinner@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:
> > On 21 July 2011 08:21, Firesam <ubuntu@e17th.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am having a very strange (to me at least) problem with my laptop
> >> computer. It took a while until I was able to replicate the exact
> >> circumstances that caused it. Whenever I shutdown the laptop restarts
> >> and does not power off. Just incase that is not annoying enough when it
> >> restarts the internal kb and mouse are disabled. Interstingly enough mot
> >> only that this is not caused by choosing restart (the kb/mouse thing)
> >> but restart fixes it and re-enables the kb and mouse.
>
> I don't know whether I can help, probably not, but just to clarify the
> problem does the PC go through a re-boot cycle (showing BIOS startup
> and so on) or does a shutdown attempt just have the same effect as a
> logout, taking you back to the login screen without a full re-boot.
>
> Colin

It is a full reboot cycle. It is very annoying because sometimes it
works fine. I don't know how to debug what causes it to not work but
when it does it takes down the mouse and keyboard. The kb works in BIOS
an
d grub but when the os starts it is not working. this is from early on
in the boot process because if I try to boot into rescue mode it can not
select anything because the kb is not functional.
If anybody has a clue whaat could be wrong please help.

thanks.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Colin Law

On 26 July 2011 21:12, Firesam <ubuntu@e17th.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 14:07 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

>> I don't know whether I can help, probably not, but just to clarify the
>> problem does the PC go through a re-boot cycle (showing BIOS startup
>> and so on) or does a shutdown attempt just have the same effect as a
>> logout, taking you back to the login screen without a full re-boot.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> It is a full reboot cycle. It is very annoying because sometimes it
> works fine. I don't know how to debug what causes it to not work but
> when it does it takes down the mouse and keyboard. The kb works in BIOS
> an
> d grub but when the os starts it is not working. this is from early on
> in the boot process because if I try to boot into rescue mode it can not
> select anything because the kb is not functional.

If it goes through a full reboot cycle then there should be no
difference from one boot to the next as not much should hang over from
one boot to the next. I wonder if you have a hardware problem, though
the fact that they work in grub tends to suggest otherwise. I think
you said earlier that if you ask it to reboot then it does. If you do
this does everything work every time?

Colin

Colin