Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 PM
william drescher

Default connecting via PuTTY

I just set up two new 10.04 servers without apparent error. When
I try to telnet in using PuTTY (or manually) the server does not
respond and I get a connection timeout message.

I am obviously missing something.
Suggestions please.

bill

Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 07/22/2011 03:32 PM, william drescher wrote:
> I just set up two new 10.04 servers without apparent error. When I try
> to telnet in using PuTTY (or manually) the server does not respond and I
> get a connection timeout message.

It's because you are trying to telnet and not SSH. If you are actually
trying to SSH though then we need more information. For example if you
are on Amazon then there are extra steps you need to take.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:37 PM
william drescher

I just set up two new 10.04 servers without apparent error. When I try
to telnet in using PuTTY (or manually) the server does not respond and I
get a connection timeout message.

It's because you are trying to telnet and not SSH. If you are actually
trying to SSH though then we need more information. For example if you
are on Amazon then there are extra steps you need to take.

These are servers on my LAN.
bill

Old 07-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Knute Johnson

I just set up two new 10.04 servers without apparent error. When I try
to telnet in using PuTTY (or manually) the server does not respond and I
get a connection timeout message.

I am obviously missing something.
Suggestions please.

bill

Wrong address?

Firewall?

--

Knute Johnson

Old 07-22-2011, 08:41 PM
william drescher

I just set up two new 10.04 servers without apparent error.
When I try
to telnet in using PuTTY (or manually) the server does not
respond and I
get a connection timeout message.

It's because you are trying to telnet and not SSH. If you are
actually
trying to SSH though then we need more information. For example
if you
are on Amazon then there are extra steps you need to take.

These are servers on my LAN.
bill

Further info: although I installed vsftpd I can not ftp to them
either. Do I need to start vsftpd after installation ?

bill

Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 07/22/2011 03:37 PM, william drescher wrote:
> These are servers on my LAN.

From each server do:
sudo ufw default deny
sudo ufw status enable
sudo ufw allow ssh
sudo service ssh restart
sudo service ssh status

You cannot login as root unless you do:
sudo passwd root

Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 PM
william drescher

I just set up two new 10.04 servers without apparent error.
When I try
to telnet in using PuTTY (or manually) the server does not
respond and I
get a connection timeout message.

I am obviously missing something.
Suggestions please.