FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-22-2011, 03:45 PM
 
Default how to format a usb hard drive for use with linux or windows

----- Original Message -----
> From: "glenn opdycke-hansen" <glennoph@gmail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 8:07:53 AM
> Subject: how to format a usb hard drive for use with linux or windows
> Is there a way to format an external hard disk that uses a USB
> connection?
> I want to format it from Ubuntu system and use it on either windows or
> linux.
> Thanks!
>
> I have been able to format it from Ubuntu and use it on linux, but
> unable to connect to the external storage from windows system.

You will need to format it as NTFS. Can be done using gparted. Here is a link about doing it on Hardy. I imagine it's all still valid.

http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-reformat-an-external-hard-drive-to-ntfs-format-in-ubuntu-hardy/2008/09/29


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Avi Greenbury
 
Default how to format a usb hard drive for use with linux or windows

glenn opdycke-hansen wrote:
> I have been able to format it from Ubuntu and use it on linux, but
> unable to connect to the external storage from windows system.

You need to make sure it's either vfat or NTFS in general. Linux
supports these two Windowsy filesystem reasonably well, but Windows
wont do any Linux filesystem out of the box.

--
Avi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Ray Leventhal
 
Default how to format a usb hard drive for use with linux or windows

On 7/22/2011 11:07 AM, glenn opdycke-hansen wrote:

Is there a way to format an external hard disk that uses a USB connection?
I want to format it from Ubuntu system and use it on either windows or linux.
Thanks!

I have been able to format it from Ubuntu and use it on linux, but
unable to connect to the external storage from windows system.

--glenn

While Ubuntu can read NTFS partitions using fuse, Windows can't work
with EXT2/3/4 file systems without help.


When I'm forced to work with Windows and need access to EXT2/3/4 file
systems, I use EXT2 Volume Manager [1].


HTH,
-Ray

[1] http://www.ext2fsd.com/?page_id=16
--
Ray Leventhal

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2011, 07:07 PM
glenn opdycke-hansen
 
Default how to format a usb hard drive for use with linux or windows

Thanks for the information. I used GParted to format the disk. Some
attempts resulted in the storage not being connected to windows and
would appear as a "protected partition".

However, this worked: Partitioning: Master Boot Record & Partition
Type: HPFS/NTFS (0x07)

--glenn



On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:11, Ray Leventhal <ubuntu@swhi.net> wrote:
> On 7/22/2011 11:07 AM, glenn opdycke-hansen wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to format an external hard disk that uses a USB connection?
>> I want to format it from Ubuntu system and use it on either windows or
>> linux.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> I have been able to format it from Ubuntu and use it on linux, but
>> unable to connect to the external storage from windows system.
>>
>> --glenn
>>
> While Ubuntu can read NTFS partitions using fuse, Windows can't work with
> EXT2/3/4 file systems without help.
>
> When I'm forced to work with Windows and need access to EXT2/3/4 file
> systems, I use EXT2 Volume Manager [1].
>
> HTH,
> -Ray
>
> [1] http://www.ext2fsd.com/?page_id=16
> --
> Ray Leventhal
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org