Old 07-22-2011, 05:40 AM
Abhishek Dixit

Default how to connect Tata Docomo USB modem in Lucid

I have a USB Tata Docomo (USB Modem to connect internet)
lsusb shows

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 05c6:9000 Qualcomm, Inc.

I do not have wvdialconf installed I use Windows in Vmware.
Since it does not works in Ubuntu (I am not clear how to configure on Lucid)
so let me know how apt-get will work in this case.The cybercafe's in my place
do not allow to connect my laptop so as to use aptitude etc.So I think
I will have to connect it via
vmware instance where I can connect in Windows (guest OS).
Let me know how can my USB mode it work in Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit.

--
Regards
Abhi

--
Regards
Abhi

Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a USB Tata Docomo (USB Modem to connect internet)
> lsusb shows
>
> *Bus 002 Device 003: ID 05c6:9000 Qualcomm, Inc.
>
> I do not have wvdialconf installed I use Windows in Vmware.
> Since it does not works in Ubuntu (I am not clear how to configure on Lucid)
> so let me know how apt-get will work in this case.The cybercafe's in my place
> do not allow to connect my laptop so as to use aptitude etc.So I think
> I will have to connect it via
> vmware instance where I can connect in Windows (guest OS).
> Let me know how can my USB mode *it work in Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit.

As per this blog I have been able to configure
http://ershadk.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/connect-tata-docomo-internet-in-ubuntu-9-04/
upto Step 4, but not able to find antenna icon in system tray.
There is one signal kind of wireless icon on top right hand corner
which connects when I get a wifi network.
If author is referring to that,but not able to get my USB Modem there
even though I have followed upto step 4 correctly on
above blog and usb is connected.How to start or connect let me know if
some one has done it previously.

I would like to directly use as per the instruction on above blog as
people have been able to use it.

--
Regards
Abhi

Old 07-23-2011, 02:52 AM
Abhishek Dixit

I have a USB Tata Docomo (USB Modem to connect internet) lsusb shows

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 05c6:9000 Qualcomm, Inc.

Did a lot of Googling etc on forums and seems a few people have been
able to use it.
1) http://ershadk.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/connect-tata-docomo-internet-in-ubuntu-9-04/
2) http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9035205&postcount=7

Though I followed steps as per above links but I could not get
internet running.I also installed usb-modswitch but that also seems
not to help.

/var/log/messages
shows

usb-modeswitch: switched to 05c6:9000 (Micromax: )
dmesg | grep tty
[ 0.000000] console [tty0] enabled

in /etc/usb_modeswitch.d there is no file with 05c6:9000 combination.

After this I did

root@abhi:~# modprobe usbserial vendor=0x05c6 product=0x9000
and then

root@abhi:~# wvdialconf

Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Modem Port Scan<*1>: S0 S1 S2 S3
WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.
ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 9600 baud
ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up.
WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- Manufacturer: Micromax
ttyUSB1<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttyUSB1<*1>: Max speed is 9600; that should be safe.
ttyUSB1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- Manufacturer: Micromax
ttyUSB2<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttyUSB2<*1>: Max speed is 9600; that should be safe.
ttyUSB2<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK

Found a modem on /dev/ttyUSB1.
Modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf.
ttyUSB1<Info>: Speed 9600; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"
ttyUSB2<Info>: Speed 9600; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"

Next set of commands
dmesg | grep -e "modem" -e "tty" shows

[ 0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
[18305.687166] usb 2-2: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[18305.689045] usb 2-2: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB1
[18305.689615] usb 2-2: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB2

tail -f /var/log/messages
shows

Jul 23 07:56:35 abhi kernel: [18305.683958] usbcore: registered new
interface driver usbserial
Jul 23 07:56:35 abhi kernel: [18305.684079] USB Serial support
registered for generic
Jul 23 07:56:35 abhi kernel: [18305.684950] usbserial_generic 2-2:1.0:
generic converter detected
Jul 23 07:56:35 abhi kernel: [18305.687166] usb 2-2: generic converter
now attached to ttyUSB0
Jul 23 07:56:35 abhi kernel: [18305.687194] usbserial_generic 2-2:1.1:
generic converter detected
Jul 23 07:56:35 abhi kernel: [18305.689045] usb 2-2: generic converter
now attached to ttyUSB1
Jul 23 07:56:35 abhi kernel: [18305.689076] usbserial_generic 2-2:1.3:
generic converter detected
Jul 23 07:56:35 abhi kernel: [18305.689615] usb 2-2: generic converter
now attached to ttyUSB2
Jul 23 07:56:35 abhi kernel: [18305.689712] usbcore: registered new
interface driver usbserial_generic
Jul 23 07:56:35 abhi kernel: [18305.689716] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core

After this the connection which appears in my network manager when
ever I try to connect it does not connect.Do I need to install any
kind of dialer etc?

Old 07-23-2011, 03:40 AM
সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার

Dear Abhishek