Old 07-22-2011, 05:23 AM
don fisher

Default Static IP addresses fail!

I am currently running Ubuntu 10.10 with no end of problems. How does
one assign a static IP address. I have tried the standard network
manager and WICD, all with no success. This used to be easy 10 years
ago! In Redhat-9 you just edited the interface description files and it
was done. Now they have made it so easy I can find no options!

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the attitude, but it has been a
long day trying to accomplish a trivial operation.

Don

Old 07-22-2011, 05:34 AM
Stephen Kuhn

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 22:23 -0700, don fisher wrote:
> I am currently running Ubuntu 10.10 with no end of problems. How does
> one assign a static IP address. I have tried the standard network
> manager and WICD, all with no success. This used to be easy 10 years
> ago! In Redhat-9 you just edited the interface description files and it
> was done. Now they have made it so easy I can find no options!
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the attitude, but it has been a
> long day trying to accomplish a trivial operation.
>
> Don

It's still extremely easy to do.
Edit the /etc/network/interfaces file.

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/09/setup-permanent-static-ip-address-ubuntu-10-0410-10-maverick-meerkat/

--
yankdownunder
reg'd linux user #267497

Old 07-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Nils Kassube

don fisher wrote:
> I am currently running Ubuntu 10.10 with no end of problems. How does
> one assign a static IP address. I have tried the standard network
> manager and WICD, all with no success.

Define your interface in /etc/network/interfaces and networkmanager
should ignore that interface. See "man interfaces" for details.

Nils

Old 07-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 1:23 AM, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:

> I am currently running Ubuntu 10.10 with no end of problems. How does one
> assign a static IP address. I have tried the standard network manager and
> WICD, all with no success. This used to be easy 10 years ago! In Redhat-9
> you just edited the interface description files and it was done. Now they
> have made it so easy I can find no options!

If you're using NM, go to "System" - "Preferences" - "Network
Connections", select the NIC, click the "Edit" button, select the
"IPv4 Settings" tab, select "Manual" from the "Method" dropdown, ...

If you're not using NM (or WICD), add to "/etc/network/interfaces"
auto ethX
iface ethX inet static
address <ip_address>
netmask <netmask>
broadcast <broadcast> # not essential
network <network> # not essential
gateway <gateway>

Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Colin Law

On 22 July 2011 06:23, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am currently running Ubuntu 10.10 with no end of problems. How does one
> assign a static IP address. I have tried the standard network manager and
> WICD, all with no success. This used to be easy 10 years ago! In Redhat-9
> you just edited the interface description files and it was done. Now they
> have made it so easy I can find no options!

I have had problems setting up NM to use static IP addresses. The
interface for entering them is weird and it seemed to have a tendency
to loose the settings. With wicd however it proved very easy and
reliable. You say you tried wicd, what exactly was the problem you
had there?

Colin

Old 07-22-2011, 09:04 AM
don fisher

Stephen Kuhn wrote:

I am currently running Ubuntu 10.10 with no end of problems. How does
one assign a static IP address. I have tried the standard network
manager and WICD, all with no success. This used to be easy 10 years
ago! In Redhat-9 you just edited the interface description files and it
was done. Now they have made it so easy I can find no options!

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the attitude, but it has been a
long day trying to accomplish a trivial operation.

Don

It's still extremely easy to do.
Edit the /etc/network/interfaces file.

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/09/setup-permanent-static-ip-address-ubuntu-10-0410-10-maverick-meerkat/

Attached is my /etc/network/interfaces file. Using WICD I can get either
port to come up using DHCP. But I cannot get eth1 or eth0 to load with a
static address (using WICD).

I used to use ifup and ifdown. But ifup eth1 does nothing. When I
execute sudo ifup eth1 I receive the output from ifconfig --help.

I must have broken something. But I cannot determine what it is. Any
errors in my interfaces file?

Any ideas appreciated? I was just trying to bring up Samba, which was
almost trivial the last time (back in the dark ages) when I tried.

don
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
hwaddress 00:16:ce:1f:46:cd
wireless-essid fishnet-a
wireless-mode Ad-Hoc

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
hwaddress 00:1c:23:a5:c7:e6
address 192.168.7.65
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.7.1
network 192.168.7.0
broadcast 192.168.7.255

Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 AM
don fisher

don fisher wrote:

Stephen Kuhn wrote:

[...]

It appears my use of hwaddress is not valid.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:11 PM
"compdoc"

> I must have broken something. But I cannot determine what it is. Any
> errors in my interfaces file?

There's a file that doesn't get cleaned properly when you make a lot of
changes to your nics, such as adding or removing a physical card.

I have had to clean it out by hand and restart the system to allow the OS to
create new entries in the file and fix everything.

If the entries don't look right, just delete the entries for your nics in
this file and reboot:

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net.rules

Old 07-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Avi Greenbury

compdoc wrote:
> There's a file that doesn't get cleaned properly when you make a lot
> of changes to your nics, such as adding or removing a physical card.
[snip]
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net.rules

This is the file that udev uses to map physical interfaces to their
ethX names. It doesn't need 'cleaning' when you make configuration
changes to the cards, only if you physically remove one and would like
to reuse its ethX address.

Say you have eth0 eth1 eth2 and eth3. If you remove eth0 and add a new
card, that'll become eth4 and there'll just be no eth0.

You can either manually edit that file and set whatever's detected as
eth4 to be eth0 (preserving eth1, eth2 and eth3) or delete it and
surprise yourself with the new order. Either way you'll have an eth0 to
eth3 afterwards and no eth4.

I very much doubt that has anything at all to do with this problem,
especially since he's already noted that hwaddress isn't valid

--
Avi

Old 07-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Avi Greenbury

don fisher wrote:

> It appears my use of hwaddress is not valid.

I think, from a brief google to corroborate a vague recollection, that
the proper form is

hwaddr ether <new mac address>

--
Avi