Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 PM
don fisher

Default Name resolution in small network

I have a bunch of laptops currently running a mix of Linux and Windoz. I
have recently tried to bring up Samba so that I could share files
easily. With the Linux systems, I have always used /etc/hosts to resolve
names. But with the addition of Samba and the Microsoft products, this
does not work (at least as far as I know).

I have a router that provides DHCP name resolution. If I use DHCP with
my Linux hosts, Windoz reads the router and resolved their IP address.
But I do not know how to make Linux read the router and resolve the
Windoz DHCP addresses.

I have tried to purchase and read the literature, but every volume
appears to be around 400 pages long:-( I cannot read that fast. I see
references to broadcasts, WINS servers etc., all suggesting that I
purchase another book to discover how they work:-)

Is there a simple DNS that I can set up that can be loaded with my
/etc/hosts data, read the data in the DHCP router, handle a NAS device,
and whatever else may be required.

Thanks
don

Old 07-21-2011, 09:04 PM
"compdoc"

>I have a router that provides DHCP name resolution. If I use DHCP with
>my Linux hosts, Windoz reads the router and resolved their IP address.
>But I do not know how to make Linux read the router and resolve the
>Windoz DHCP addresses.

DNS works the same way for Linux and Windows. If your router has the ability
to define hostnames, you should do it there since its already the dhcp
server and providing dns forwarding.

If it cannot define hosts, then set up a dns server on one of your systems.
If you have Windows Server, it's especially easy to set up. Although it's
not very hard to do in linux either.

You would need to have the dhcp server hand out the address for your new dns
server to all the clients.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 07/21/2011 03:42 PM, don fisher wrote:
> I have a bunch of laptops currently running a mix of Linux and Windoz.

http://windozgrill.com/ ? I need one of those laptops so that I can get
me some free food like you do. Let me know where I can buy one.

> have recently tried to bring up Samba so that I could share files
> easily. With the Linux systems, I have always used /etc/hosts to resolve
> names. But with the addition of Samba and the Microsoft products, this
> does not work (at least as far as I know).

You just happen to be lucky I migrate people from Windows to Linux:
C:WindowsSystem32DriversEtcHosts

Not really lucky, because anybody could have figured out that out easily

> I have a router that provides DHCP name resolution. If I use DHCP with
> my Linux hosts, Windoz reads the router and resolved their IP address.
> But I do not know how to make Linux read the router and resolve the
> Windoz DHCP addresses.

vim /etc/nsswitch.conf: hosts: files dns wins
apt-get install winbind --no-install-recommends

Old 07-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:

> I have a bunch of laptops currently running a mix of Linux and Windoz. I
> have recently tried to bring up Samba so that I could share files easily.
> With the Linux systems, I have always used /etc/hosts to resolve names. But
> with the addition of Samba and the Microsoft products, this does not work
> (at least as far as I know).
>
> I have a router that provides DHCP name resolution. If I use DHCP with my
> Linux hosts, Windoz reads the router and resolved their IP address. But I do
> not know how to make Linux read the router and resolve the Windoz DHCP
> addresses.
>
> I have tried to purchase and read the literature, but every volume appears
> to be around 400 pages long:-( I cannot read that fast. I see references to
> broadcasts, WINS servers etc., all suggesting that I purchase another book
> to discover how they work:-)
>
> Is there a simple DNS that I can set up that can be loaded with my
> /etc/hosts data, read the data in the DHCP router, handle a NAS device, and
> whatever else may be required.

I'm partial to bind as a dns service but it's probably overkill for a
home network. I've seen many recommendations to use dnsmasq in your
situation; I've never used it so hopefully someone else can vouch for
it.

Ubuntu's Avahi and Windows' SSDP should allow you to access each other
using hostnames.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Ramon Hofer

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 17:26:04 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM, don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have a bunch of laptops currently running a mix of Linux and Windoz.
>> I have recently tried to bring up Samba so that I could share files
>> easily. With the Linux systems, I have always used /etc/hosts to
>> resolve names. But with the addition of Samba and the Microsoft
>> products, this does not work (at least as far as I know).
>>
>> I have a router that provides DHCP name resolution. If I use DHCP with
>> my Linux hosts, Windoz reads the router and resolved their IP address.
>> But I do not know how to make Linux read the router and resolve the
>> Windoz DHCP addresses.
>>
>> I have tried to purchase and read the literature, but every volume
>> appears to be around 400 pages long:-( I cannot read that fast. I see
>> references to broadcasts, WINS servers etc., all suggesting that I
>> purchase another book to discover how they work:-)
>>
>> Is there a simple DNS that I can set up that can be loaded with my
>> /etc/hosts data, read the data in the DHCP router, handle a NAS device,
>> and whatever else may be required.
>
> I'm partial to bind as a dns service but it's probably overkill for a
> home network. I've seen many recommendations to use dnsmasq in your
> situation; I've never used it so hopefully someone else can vouch for
> it.
>
> Ubuntu's Avahi and Windows' SSDP should allow you to access each other
> using hostnames.

I've had a similar problem on a little Alix board [1] running Ubuntu
Server 10.04.

I used dhcp3-server and bind9. Caching of external adresses worked but I
couldn't resolve LAN adresses.
Today I almost just copied the setting from a german website [2].

About an hour later everything works like a charm.

[1] http://pcengines.ch/alix.htm
[2] http://www.martin-bock.de/pc/pc-0604.html

Old 07-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Chris G

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 01:42:45PM -0700, don fisher wrote:
> I have a bunch of laptops currently running a mix of Linux and
> Windoz. I have recently tried to bring up Samba so that I could
> share files easily. With the Linux systems, I have always used
> /etc/hosts to resolve names. But with the addition of Samba and the
> Microsoft products, this does not work (at least as far as I know).
>
> I have a router that provides DHCP name resolution. If I use DHCP
> with my Linux hosts, Windoz reads the router and resolved their IP
> address. But I do not know how to make Linux read the router and
> resolve the Windoz DHCP addresses.
>
> I have tried to purchase and read the literature, but every volume
> appears to be around 400 pages long:-( I cannot read that fast. I
> see references to broadcasts, WINS servers etc., all suggesting that
> I purchase another book to discover how they work:-)
>
> Is there a simple DNS that I can set up that can be loaded with my
> /etc/hosts data, read the data in the DHCP router, handle a NAS
> device, and whatever else may be required.

dnsmasq?

--
Chris Green

Old 07-23-2011, 06:58 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

[...]

dnsmasq is a small light DNS server > www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/
that can run in a small environment. I use it > 10 years and it gives no
problems.

to quote the site :
<quote>
Dnsmasq is a lightweight, easy to configure DNS forwarder and DHCP
server. It is designed to provide DNS and, optionally, DHCP, to a small
network. It can serve the names of local machines which are not in the
global DNS. The DHCP server integrates with the DNS server and allows
machines with DHCP-allocated addresses to appear in the DNS with names
configured either in each host or in a central configuration file.
Dnsmasq supports static and dynamic DHCP leases and BOOTP/TFTP/PXE for
network booting of diskless machines.

<quote/>
Joep