Old 07-21-2011, 12:57 PM
"TopBot ."

Default Sound server & mic problem on 10.04

Hi,

I just installed backtrack 5 (kde version - based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS)* for some testing purposes, but its giving me problems as an operating system.

The sound server isn't working, even after a lot of searching, I cant seem to make it work, so only one program can play sound at a time. I downloaded the Pulse Audio packages but I'm having trouble setting them up. Also, I can hear the microphone from the speakers (after messing with my sound mixer), but the sound recorder or the pidgin voice calls don't seem to pick up any voice.

Any Idea?
--
TopBot.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Alan Pope

On 21 July 2011 13:57, TopBot . <topbot5@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I just installed backtrack 5 (kde version - based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS)* for
> some testing purposes, but its giving me problems as an operating system.

Whilst Backtrack is derived from Ubuntu, it isn't Ubuntu. You might
get better support from a backtrack specific list or forum.

Al.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 14:11 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 21 July 2011 13:57, TopBot . <topbot5@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I just installed backtrack 5 (kde version - based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) for
> > some testing purposes, but its giving me problems as an operating system.
> >

> Whilst Backtrack is derived from Ubuntu, it isn't Ubuntu. You might
> get better support from a backtrack specific list or forum.

Install 10.4 Ubuntu, then install the KDE packages after. Sound works.
Kubuntu 10.4 hosed sound (pulse) for me as it relies on some other
scheme that bombed. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 PM
"TopBot ."

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 14:11 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:

> On 21 July 2011 13:57, TopBot . <topbot5@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > I just installed backtrack 5 (kde version - based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) *for

> > some testing purposes, but its giving me problems as an operating system.

> Whilst Backtrack is derived from Ubuntu, it isn't Ubuntu. You might

> get better support from a backtrack specific list or forum.

Install 10.4 Ubuntu, then install the KDE packages after. Sound works.

Kubuntu 10.4 hosed sound (pulse) for me as it relies on some other

scheme that bombed. Ric

*
In my case the KDE is already installed (like kubuntu), there's no gnome. So is there anyway to fix it from here (and continue to use KDE) ? It seems like its not a backtrack specific problem. More of a trouble from KDE.

--
TopBot.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 AM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 03:22 +0500, TopBot . wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 14:11 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> > On 21 July 2011 13:57, TopBot . <topbot5@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > > I just installed backtrack 5 (kde version - based on
> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) for
> > > some testing purposes, but its giving me problems as an
> operating system.
> > >

> > Whilst Backtrack is derived from Ubuntu, it isn't Ubuntu.
> You might
> > get better support from a backtrack specific list or forum.
>

> Install 10.4 Ubuntu, then install the KDE packages after.
> Sound works.
> Kubuntu 10.4 hosed sound (pulse) for me as it relies on some
> other
> scheme that bombed. Ric
>

> In my case the KDE is already installed (like kubuntu), there's no
> gnome. So is there anyway to fix it from here (and continue to use
> KDE) ? It seems like its not a backtrack specific problem. More of a
> trouble from KDE.

The last post on the Kubuntu list, before I bailed, was that they would
fix sound in 10.10. My beef was that the LTS version needed fixing. It
fell on deaf ears I fear. So, I clean installed Ubuntu 10.4, mostly out
of meanness, tested sound with Gnome, and found it worked flawlessly.
Then I installed KDE on top, sound continues to work to this day. Other
than that, that's all I can say. Well, I COULD add that after doing
this, I had to install the pavucontrol package... then crank up
alsamixer to adjust things, then fired up pavucontrol to set up 5.1
sound and keep it running to set individual applications to specific
sound hardware. Skype would be set to use my USB headphones. Every time
I run it, it switches to the headphones. Nifty... that is what pulse
does for me. Running Xine, it switches automatically to 5.1 audio,
unless it's late and I want to use the headphones to not bother others.
Click and it's switched. Way cool... Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 AM
"TopBot ."

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 03:22 +0500, TopBot . wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com>

> wrote:

> * * * * On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 14:11 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:

> * * * * > On 21 July 2011 13:57, TopBot . <topbot5@googlemail.com>

> * * * * wrote:

> * * * * > > I just installed backtrack 5 (kde version - based on

> * * * * Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) *for

> * * * * > > some testing purposes, but its giving me problems as an

> * * * * operating system.

> * * * * > >

> * * * * >

> * * * * > Whilst Backtrack is derived from Ubuntu, it isn't Ubuntu.

> * * * * You might

> * * * * > get better support from a backtrack specific list or forum.

> * * * * Install 10.4 Ubuntu, then install the KDE packages after.

> * * * * Sound works.

> * * * * Kubuntu 10.4 hosed sound (pulse) for me as it relies on some

> * * * * other

> * * * * scheme that bombed. Ric

> In my case the KDE is already installed (like kubuntu), there's no

> gnome. So is there anyway to fix it from here (and continue to use

> KDE) ? It seems like its not a backtrack specific problem. More of a

> trouble from KDE.

The last post on the Kubuntu list, before I bailed, was that they would

fix sound in 10.10. My beef was that the LTS version needed fixing. It

fell on deaf ears I fear. So, I clean installed Ubuntu 10.4, mostly out

of meanness, tested sound with Gnome, and found it worked flawlessly.

Then I installed KDE on top, sound continues to work to this day. Other

than that, that's all I can say. Well, I COULD add that after doing

this, I had to install the pavucontrol package... then crank up

alsamixer to adjust things, then fired up pavucontrol to set up 5.1

sound and keep it running to set individual applications to specific

sound hardware. Skype would be set to use my USB headphones. Every time

I run it, it switches to the headphones. Nifty... that is what pulse

does for me. Running Xine, it switches automatically to 5.1 audio,

unless it's late and I want to use the headphones to not bother others.

Click and it's switched. Way cool... Ric

Yes, ubuntu as a genome install has always been really good. Simply offers no problems what so ever the case. But I don't know why, when so much development is being done in kde, the kde backend is not being given as much importance. For instance sound codecs and other required packages are not automatically searched on execution of requiring files.

My system falls back to HDA Intel (ALC883 Analog) from digital everytime i start xserver (All sounds are working fine on dual boot windows & used to work completely fine on all versions of ubuntu and all previous kubuntu versions). So i think I have to replace some package, don't know which one is causing the problem. By setting SMplayer's audio output device to alsa (from alsa (0.0 HD)) I've atleast got it to work along with PCM (ie browser based sounds from flash can now run along with the SMplayer). But still when I run rhythmbox while SMplayer is running it says audiosink is missing (while it works fine when it is playing alone and I cant find audio sink through synaptic or the default settings menu). Also notifications also don't give sounds when any other program is using the sound card. The same sound server problem.

--
TopBot.