FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Alan Pope
 
Default PenDrive Linux vs full install?

On 21 July 2011 13:30, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
> Other option : put the USB stick in a machine. A CD in same machine...
> and perform a full installation of Ubuntu on that USB stick...
> Advantages, I can then run full updates. The whole stick is a disk with
> Ubuntu and data on it. Complete persistance of state. But... what are
> the inconvenients? Anybody try that? What do you think?
>

That's what I did with a 32GB USB stick. Works rather well.

Just make sure you install GRUB to the USB stick and not the internal
disk. This is an option during the installer.

Al.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Gilles Gravier
 
Default PenDrive Linux vs full install?

Hi, Alan!

On 21/07/2011 14:31, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 21 July 2011 13:30, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
>> Other option : put the USB stick in a machine. A CD in same machine...
>> and perform a full installation of Ubuntu on that USB stick...
>> Advantages, I can then run full updates. The whole stick is a disk with
>> Ubuntu and data on it. Complete persistance of state. But... what are
>> the inconvenients? Anybody try that? What do you think?
>>
> That's what I did with a 32GB USB stick. Works rather well.
I hoped it would. My reasonning was that since Ubuntu loads all and
everything dynamically during boot... having it on a stick and poking
that at any kind of hardware should work...
> Just make sure you install GRUB to the USB stick and not the internal
> disk. This is an option during the installer.
That would pretty much mess up my installation machine indeed. Just
to be sure, doing that on a machine that doesn't risk too much...

Thanks, Alan for confirming that it should work.

On my way to installing that now... Will confirm that all works well
when it's done. Give me a bit of time.

Gilles.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Mark Widdicombe
 
Default PenDrive Linux vs full install?

On 21 July 2011 14:30, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I am looking at having a Ubuntu (11.04) system on a USB stick. I have a
> 16GB stick available for that.
>
> If I take the Ubuntu Live CD and the USB installer, I can get something
> easily, working nicely, with some persistance... the Universal USB
> Installer lets me define 4 GB of on-stick storage. Nice. Inconvenient :
> no updates to Ubuntu on this system. It's always what was put on the
> stick when I installed 11.04 Live CD. Advantage : very easy to do. In
> fact, by the time I finish typing this mail, it will be done.
>
> Other option : put the USB stick in a machine. A CD in same machine...
> and perform a full installation of Ubuntu on that USB stick...
> Advantages, I can then run full updates. The whole stick is a disk with
> Ubuntu and data on it. Complete persistance of state. But... what are
> the inconvenients? Anybody try that? What do you think?
>
It works very well. *I have 10.04 on a stick which I thrust into my
employer's PC. *I haven't used their Windows (what's that?) for over a
year. *It is perhaps s bit slower than running from an internal hard
drive.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Alan Pope
 
Default PenDrive Linux vs full install?

On 21 July 2011 13:35, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
> I hoped it would. My reasonning was that since Ubuntu loads all and
> everything dynamically during boot... having it on a stick and poking
> that at any kind of hardware should work...

The only part that broke for me was when I needed to use a specific
xorg.conf for a machine with an odd video card.

> On my way to installing that now... Will confirm that all works well
> when it's done. Give me a bit of time.
>



It shouldn't take too long.

I'd also recommend encryption on your home directory. That way if you
lose the USB stick your data is safe.

Cheers,
Al.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Gilles Gravier
 
Default PenDrive Linux vs full install?

Yeah! Works like a charm!

Cheers,
Gilles.

On 21/07/2011 14:39, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 21 July 2011 13:35, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
>> I hoped it would. My reasonning was that since Ubuntu loads all and
>> everything dynamically during boot... having it on a stick and poking
>> that at any kind of hardware should work...
> The only part that broke for me was when I needed to use a specific
> xorg.conf for a machine with an odd video card.
>
>> On my way to installing that now... Will confirm that all works well
>> when it's done. Give me a bit of time.
>>
>
>
> It shouldn't take too long.
>
> I'd also recommend encryption on your home directory. That way if you
> lose the USB stick your data is safe.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Bill Walton
 
Default PenDrive Linux vs full install?

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
> Yeah! Works like a charm!

I'm about to take a trip (with my Win7 laptop) and am considering the
LiveCD/USB as an option to a dual boot setup (really can't afford an
install mishap at this late date). A couple of questions. How big a
stick did you need? Is it possible / advisable to store the data
itself (svn repository) on the laptop and retrieve/save it to there?
Or do I need to factor that in to the size requirement for the USB
stick.

TIA!
Bill

>
> Cheers,
> Gilles.
>
> On 21/07/2011 14:39, Alan Pope wrote:
>> On 21 July 2011 13:35, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
>>> I hoped it would. My reasonning was that since Ubuntu loads all and
>>> everything dynamically during boot... having it on a stick and poking
>>> that at any kind of hardware should work...
>> The only part that broke for me was when I needed to use a specific
>> xorg.conf for a machine with an odd video card.
>>
>>> On my way to installing that now... Will confirm that all works well
>>> when it's done. Give me a bit of time.
>>>
>>
>>
>> It shouldn't take too long.
>>
>> I'd also recommend encryption on your home directory. That way if you
>> lose the USB stick your data is safe.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Al.
>>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Gilles Gravier
 
Default PenDrive Linux vs full install?

Bill,

On 21/07/2011 17:43, Bill Walton wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
>> Yeah! Works like a charm!
> I'm about to take a trip (with my Win7 laptop) and am considering the
> LiveCD/USB as an option to a dual boot setup (really can't afford an
> install mishap at this late date). A couple of questions. How big a
> stick did you need? Is it possible / advisable to store the data
> itself (svn repository) on the laptop and retrieve/save it to there?
> Or do I need to factor that in to the size requirement for the USB
> stick.
>
> TIA!
> Bill

I installed on a 16GB disk... and my encrypted home available is 11GB...
So that means about 4GB used. I didn't configure any swap. Making the
assumption that I'll always have enough RAM around... Swaping on a USB
stick is slow in any case.

Gilles.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Bill Walton
 
Default PenDrive Linux vs full install?

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
> Bill,
>
> On 21/07/2011 17:43, Bill Walton wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
>>> Yeah! Works like a charm!
>> I'm about to take a trip (with my Win7 laptop) and am considering the
>> LiveCD/USB as an option to a dual boot setup (really can't afford an
>> install mishap at this late date). *A couple of questions. *How big a
>> stick did you need? *Is it possible / advisable to store the data
>> itself (svn repository) on the laptop and retrieve/save it to there?
>> Or do I need to factor that in to the size requirement for the USB
>> stick.
>>
>> TIA!
>> Bill
>
> I installed on a 16GB disk... and my encrypted home available is 11GB...
> So that means about 4GB used. I didn't configure any swap. Making the
> assumption that I'll always have enough RAM around... Swaping on a USB
> stick is slow in any case.

Thanks, Gilles. I've got a 16GB stick and was hoping that would be
enough. Sounds like plenty.

What about the notion of storing the data (an svn repo) on the laptop
and accessing from the USB? Is that feasible (and not too involved in
terms of setup)? Updates / deletes to a USB are maddeningly slow.

Thanks!
Bill

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Gilles Gravier
 
Default PenDrive Linux vs full install?

On 21/07/2011 19:06, Bill Walton wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
>> Bill,
>>
>> On 21/07/2011 17:43, Bill Walton wrote:
>>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
>>>> Yeah! Works like a charm!
>>> I'm about to take a trip (with my Win7 laptop) and am considering the
>>> LiveCD/USB as an option to a dual boot setup (really can't afford an
>>> install mishap at this late date). A couple of questions. How big a
>>> stick did you need? Is it possible / advisable to store the data
>>> itself (svn repository) on the laptop and retrieve/save it to there?
>>> Or do I need to factor that in to the size requirement for the USB
>>> stick.
>>>
>>> TIA!
>>> Bill
>> I installed on a 16GB disk... and my encrypted home available is 11GB...
>> So that means about 4GB used. I didn't configure any swap. Making the
>> assumption that I'll always have enough RAM around... Swaping on a USB
>> stick is slow in any case.
> Thanks, Gilles. I've got a 16GB stick and was hoping that would be
> enough. Sounds like plenty.
>
> What about the notion of storing the data (an svn repo) on the laptop
> and accessing from the USB? Is that feasible (and not too involved in
> terms of setup)? Updates / deletes to a USB are maddeningly slow.
No idea. Just installed it this afternoon. Try it and tell us.

Gilles

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 PM
"Goh Lip"
 
Default PenDrive Linux vs full install?

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 01:06:30 +0800, Bill Walton <bwalton.im@gmail.com>
wrote:



Updates / deletes to a USB are maddeningly slow.


I have no experience with subversion, but I think that if you need to
consider this, running from usb may not be suitable for you. One thing to
speed up running from usb is to use ext2 rather than ext4, but if you must
have ext4, then adding "noatime" to the fstab will do.


However, personally I don't like running a 'full-bodied' OS like Kubuntu
(no experience on Ubuntu, but should be the same) from usb, though Alan
(and Nils) finds that acceptable, and I have a quite adequate system. I
had run Lubuntu from usb, it's good, running (remastered) E17 is much
better. Running an (remastered) E17 iso file is best. All using ext4.


But...try it out for yourself, you're your own judge.

Good luck, regards - Goh Lip

ps: remastered so I have all the goodies...flash, libre office, acrobat,
settings (I'm fussy), shortcuts etc.

--
I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:54 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org