Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 AM
John Atkinson

Default Setting up a wireless connection

Hello
I have just installed Ubuntu, but can't get a wireless connection; I understandthat I use the driver from Netgear, but need another prog. to make it run underUbuntu. Can anyone please direct me to this prog. and how to set it up?

--
John H Atkinson

Old 07-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Avi Greenbury

John Atkinson wrote:
> I have just installed Ubuntu, but can't get a wireless connection; I
> understand
> that I use the driver from Netgear, but need another prog. to make it
> run under
> Ubuntu. Can anyone please direct me to this prog. and how to set it
> up?

Do you know what this program is? Is it ndiswrapper? If not, what's the
program you've got from Netgear and from where do you understand you
need to feed it into soemthing else?

More pertinently, perhaps, how certain are you that you need to do it
that way? What's the hardware you've got? There might be a more
straightforward way of doing it.

--
Avi

Old 07-21-2011, 02:20 PM
"Clint Tinsley"

Is it your buit-in wlan card or an external one. If it's in built then --

1. Connect to internet through an wired connection and then go to Synaptic Package Manager on the System and then Administration menu.

2. Just find the packages firmware-b43-installer and b43-fwcutter and install them with all the dependencies.

3. After installation restart you machine and I hope you may access your current wireless network using your wireless lan card

I have tried this with Natty 11.04 and have not been able to get my older Broadcom 4306 adapter to work (HP/Compaq NX6110) to work. And I have tried to get it working with various flavors of 11.04 (LinuxMint, Artistx).* Tried the Debian install approach, nota.* Actually broke Artistx Networking (no connection, wireless or wired) trying to fix this.* Worked fine with older versions of Ubuntu and LinuxMint.

I can plug in modern USB N adapters, connects immediately, no problems.* So that is my work-around for the moment.

Any thoughts on this.

Clint

Old 07-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Stephen Kuhn

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 14:20 +0000, Clint Tinsley wrote:

> I have tried this with Natty 11.04 and have not been able to get my
> older Broadcom 4306 adapter to work (HP/Compaq NX6110) to work. And I
> have tried to get it working with various flavors of 11.04 (LinuxMint,
> Artistx). Tried the Debian install approach, nota. Actually broke
> Artistx Networking (no connection, wireless or wired) trying to fix
> this. Worked fine with older versions of Ubuntu and LinuxMint.
>
> I can plug in modern USB N adapters, connects immediately, no
> problems. So that is my work-around for the moment.
>
> Any thoughts on this.
>
> Clint

Here's something we've mucked with on the IRC channels with the same
basic situation.

1.) Install "backports" for 11.04
2.) edit and comment out the "bcm43xx" in
the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf - and if there is a bcm**.conf,
rename it to *.conf.bak
3.) reboot the machine
3.a) see if the old bmc43xx driver has loaded by testing your wireless
network. If it works, well, hey!
3.b) run "jockey-gtk" and see if the Broadcom driver shows up - if so,
activate it and test your wireless.

Hey, if that works, well, Bob's yer uncle. If not, then it's time to dig
a tad bit deeper.

--
yankdownunder
reg'd linux user #267497