FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM
"ro.mar"
 
Default how to get rid of the request of typing in password

From: "ro.mar" <ro.mar@upcmail.nl>
To: <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: how to get rid of the request of typing in password

Subject:
how to get rid of the request of typing in password while starting the
computer etc.. > I never use passwords for my computers. why should I.



ro.mar@upcmail.nl




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2011, 04:19 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default how to get rid of the request of typing in password

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 9:00 AM, ro.mar <ro.mar@upcmail.nl> wrote:
>
> From: "ro.mar" <ro.mar@upcmail.nl>
> To: <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: how to get rid of the request of typing in password
>>
>> Subject: *how to get rid of the request of typing in password while
>> starting the computer etc.. > I never use passwords for my computers. why
>> should I.

Two days without a single reply... Perhaps it is a sign you should get
accustomed to passwords if you intend to use Linux...

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation
System and Applications
GNU/Linux

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2011, 05:00 AM
"d~_*b"
 
Default how to get rid of the request of typing in password

On 22 July 2011 09:49, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Two days without a single reply... Perhaps it is a sign you should get
> accustomed to passwords if you intend to use Linux...
>

Hope these help, else I am wondering if you tried any of these yourself

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-to-add-an-user-without-password-204674/

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/can-a-user-login-without-having-a-password-set-463166/

--
& Ru Chelladurai

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Avi
 
Default how to get rid of the request of typing in password

ro.mar wrote:
> how to get rid of the request of typing in password while starting
> the computer etc..

If you're running something previous to Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty) then this
should help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutoLogin

Else this looks about right:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/03/automatically-logon-ubuntu-11-04-natty-narwhal-typing-passwords/

> I never use passwords for my computers. why should I.

To stop somebody who is not you from using them.

--
Avi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-23-2011, 09:49 AM
rombout mager
 
Default how to get rid of the request of typing in password

To Avi,
Got three reactions. Your reaction is very helpy and works allright.
I don't want to loose any time by typing-in passwords all the time.
When I go on a journey I take the Ubuntu notebook (Dell Latitude from 2005)
with me and then I will use a password.... to be secure for just in case.
but removing the harddisk will give access to the data.... so.... what's
the use after all. Okay, I'm new on the Ubuntu OS platform. So, I've got a
lot to learn using it. It's nice to extent/widen my experience in a complete
new world of possibilities compaired with MS windows (95>7).
Thanks for your help! ro.mar@live.nl

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Avi" <lists@avi.co>
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 9:10 AM
To: <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: how to get rid of the request of typing in password


ro.mar wrote:

how to get rid of the request of typing in password while starting
the computer etc..


If you're running something previous to Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty) then this
should help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutoLogin

Else this looks about right:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/03/automatically-logon-ubuntu-11-04-natty-narwhal-typing-passwords/


I never use passwords for my computers. why should I.


To stop somebody who is not you from using them.

--
Avi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default how to get rid of the request of typing in password

On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 11:49 +0200, rombout mager wrote:
> To Avi,
> Got three reactions. Your reaction is very helpy and works allright.
> I don't want to loose any time by typing-in passwords all the time.
> When I go on a journey I take the Ubuntu notebook (Dell Latitude from 2005)
> with me and then I will use a password.... to be secure for just in case.
> but removing the harddisk will give access to the data.... so.... what's
> the use after all. Okay, I'm new on the Ubuntu OS platform. So, I've got a
> lot to learn using it. It's nice to extent/widen my experience in a complete
> new world of possibilities compaired with MS windows (95>7).
> Thanks for your help! ro.mar@live.nl

It's 30 year+ accumulated wisdom that is being passed onto you. If you
can get in without a password, so can everyone else. Then God only knows
what potential damage your machine could be made to do to the rest of
the Internet, and not only to your machine. It's never a good idea.

While it doesn't keep someone determined to get into your machine, if
does slow them down quite a bit. If your unpassworded user is also the
super primary user, then anyone can su root and have a field day, which
potentially could bite someone else when your machine performs someone
else's stupid pet tricks. Using a really strong password shows that the
user knows where his towel is. Ric

--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Doug
 
Default how to get rid of the request of typing in password

On 07/23/2011 06:55 PM, Ric Moore wrote:


While it doesn't keep someone determined to get into your machine, if
does slow them down quite a bit. If your unpassworded user is also the
super primary user, then anyone can su root and have a field day, which
potentially could bite someone else when your machine performs someone
else's stupid pet tricks. Using a really strong password shows that the
user knows where his towel is. Ric

I haven't been following this thread closely, but I *think* it was
started by

someone with a machine at home and nobody else using it. If that's the case
--as it is with me (I live alone)--then of what use is a password? (I
*do* use a

simple password, not a dictionary word, but only because the various
os's request that I put one in when I loaded them. If I am mistaken about
the origin of the thread, then I apologize--mea culpa!

--doug


--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Avi Greenbury
 
Default how to get rid of the request of typing in password

rombout mager wrote:

> to be secure for just in case. but removing the harddisk will give
> access to the data.... so.... what's the use after all.

Well, it depends on the sorts of access people have to the machine.
Setting it up for auto-login just means that people who have physical
access to the machine can easily do what they like on it. You're quite
right that with the right degree of determination somebody with physical
access can get at the data quite easily, though you could have an
encrypted home directory which would mean that even with physical access
they can't get at the data without the right password. It's generally
accepted that, password or no password, once an attacker has physical
access all bets are off.

> Okay, I'm new on the Ubuntu OS platform. So, I've got a lot to learn
> using it.

One thing that's worth remembering is that Linux will let you do things
that are, in general, not a good idea. You'll not be prevented from
doing these, since they're sometimes not a bad idea, but you will
probably be repeatedly told they're a bad idea. Password-less login is
one of those.

--
Avi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Avi Greenbury
 
Default how to get rid of the request of typing in password

Ric Moore wrote:

> It's 30 year+ accumulated wisdom that is being passed onto you. If you
> can get in without a password, so can everyone else.

Only everybody else with physical access. This is moot in many places,
most of which *nix hasn't really been in for much of the last 30 years.
In fact, most of those 30 years of password related wisdom relate to
telnet and *sh - he's probably being even more secure by just not
running those services.

> Then God only knows what potential damage your machine could be made
> to do to the rest of the Internet, and not only to your machine. It's
> never a good idea.

On the contrary, it's frequently not a bad one at all. The sorts of
people inflicting damage across the internet are not, in the main,
doing it by breaking into peoples' houses, logging on to their PC and
installing a script.

Once an attacker's got physical access, it hardly matters what user
they've got access to notionally; they can just reset root's password in
little longer than it takes to reboot.

If they've not got physical access, it doesn't matter that Gnome logs
in without a password, because they're not getting in through Gnome.


--
Avi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-24-2011, 02:47 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"
 
Default how to get rid of the request of typing in password

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 19:11:37 -0400
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> didst polemicize thusly:

> On 07/23/2011 06:55 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> >
> > While it doesn't keep someone determined to get into your machine,
> > if does slow them down quite a bit. If your unpassworded user is
> > also the super primary user, then anyone can su root and have a
> > field day, which potentially could bite someone else when your
> > machine performs someone else's stupid pet tricks. Using a really
> > strong password shows that the user knows where his towel is. Ric
> >
> I haven't been following this thread closely, but I *think* it was
> started by
> someone with a machine at home and nobody else using it. If that's
> the case --as it is with me (I live alone)--then of what use is a
> password? (I *do* use a
> simple password, not a dictionary word, but only because the various
> os's request that I put one in when I loaded them. If I am mistaken
> about the origin of the thread, then I apologize--mea culpa!
>
> --doug
>
If you are the first user of a Ubuntu system then you are the
administrator. With no password for the administrator user you are no
safer from online attacks than the typical Winduhs user. All one need
do is ascertain your IP number <random hit-or-miss attacks will do)
and they are into your system with admin privileges. They can then set
up any kind of botnet or malware they wish and you won't even know its
happening.
You will have been totally screwed without benefit of even a kiss,
much less dinner and a movie.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
"The Barsoom Project"

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org