Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Firesam

Default shutdown restarts laptop (and disables kb)

I am having a very strange (to me at least) problem with my laptop
computer. It took a while until I was able to replicate the exact
circumstances that caused it. Whenever I shutdown the laptop restarts
and does not power off. Just incase that is not annoying enough when it
restarts the internal kb and mouse are disabled. Interstingly enough mot
only that this is not caused by choosing restart (the kb/mouse thing)
but restart fixes it and re-enables the kb and mouse.

I don't know if this is related but in grub choosing a command line and
typing halt just freezes and does not power off. reboot does reboot.

I can supply (I think) any files/logs etc.. that will help.

Thanks.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:37 AM
"d~_*b"

On 21 July 2011 08:21, Firesam <ubuntu@e17th.com> wrote:

> I am having a very strange (to me at least) problem with my laptop
> computer. It took a while until I was able to replicate the exact
> circumstances that caused it. Whenever I shutdown the laptop restarts
> and does not power off. Just incase that is not annoying enough when it
> restarts the internal kb and mouse are disabled. Interstingly enough mot
> only that this is not caused by choosing restart (the kb/mouse thing)
> but restart fixes it and re-enables the kb and mouse.
>
> I don't know if this is related but in grub choosing a command line and
> typing halt just freezes and does not power off. reboot does reboot.
>
> I can supply (I think) any files/logs etc.. that will help.
>
> Thanks.

Just to make sure if all is proper, the next time you want to shut
down, try this command and see if this works OK.

sudo shutdown -P now # This will power off the sys immediately

BTW could you give details of the Desk Env you are using ?

--
& Ru Chelladurai

Old 07-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Firesam

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 09:07 +0530, d~_*b wrote:
> On 21 July 2011 08:21, Firesam <ubuntu@e17th.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am having a very strange (to me at least) problem with my laptop
> > computer. It took a while until I was able to replicate the exact
> > circumstances that caused it. Whenever I shutdown the laptop restarts
> > and does not power off. Just incase that is not annoying enough when it
> > restarts the internal kb and mouse are disabled. Interstingly enough mot
> > only that this is not caused by choosing restart (the kb/mouse thing)
> > but restart fixes it and re-enables the kb and mouse.
> >
> > I don't know if this is related but in grub choosing a command line and
> > typing halt just freezes and does not power off. reboot does reboot.
> >
> > I can supply (I think) any files/logs etc.. that will help.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Just to make sure if all is proper, the next time you want to shut
> down, try this command and see if this works OK.
>
> sudo shutdown -P now # This will power off the sys immediately
>
> BTW could you give details of the Desk Env you are using ?
>
> --
> & Ru Chelladurai

shutdown -P also does not power off. The computer still restarts. I am
using gnome desktop and uname -a outputs
Linux xxx 2.6.38-10-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 28 15:07:17
UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am not sure anymore about the mouse and keyboard bec they did not get
disabled. I tried using the shutdown menu in gnome also and this time it
did not cause the mouse and kb to not work. I don't know the exact
circumstances but sometime my internal kb and mouse stop working. How
can I track down the cause of this? Can it be related to the power off
problem?

Old 07-22-2011, 05:07 AM
"d~_*b"

On 21 July 2011 18:27, Firesam <ubuntu@e17th.com> wrote:

> shutdown -P also does not power off. The computer still restarts. I am
> using gnome desktop and uname -a outputs
> * * * *Linux xxx 2.6.38-10-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 28 15:07:17
> * * * *UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I am not sure anymore about the mouse and keyboard bec they did not get
> disabled. I tried using the shutdown menu in gnome also and this time it
> did not cause the mouse and kb to not work. I don't know the exact
> circumstances but sometime my internal kb and mouse stop working. How
> can I track down the cause of this? Can it be related to the power off
> problem?

Do you have multiple kernels installed, try to boot into one different
from the current one and check if the problem re-occurs.
If you do not could you try installing a lower version of the kernel and check?

Just wondering if you made any recent upgrades to the system, thats all

--
& Ru Chelladurai

Old 07-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Firesam

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 10:37 +0530, d~_*b wrote:
> On 21 July 2011 18:27, Firesam <ubuntu@e17th.com> wrote:
> >
> > shutdown -P also does not power off. The computer still restarts. I am
> > using gnome desktop and uname -a outputs
> > Linux xxx 2.6.38-10-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 28 15:07:17
> > UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > I am not sure anymore about the mouse and keyboard bec they did not get
> > disabled. I tried using the shutdown menu in gnome also and this time it
> > did not cause the mouse and kb to not work. I don't know the exact
> > circumstances but sometime my internal kb and mouse stop working. How
> > can I track down the cause of this? Can it be related to the power off
> > problem?
> >

> Do you have multiple kernels installed, try to boot into one different
> from the current one and check if the problem re-occurs.
> If you do not could you try installing a lower version of the kernel and check?
>
> Just wondering if you made any recent upgrades to the system, thats all
>
> --
> & Ru Chelladurai

I did not upgrade before this happened. I did however change to a new
laptop and that is partially the problem. I tried upgrading afterwards
and it did not help. I even tried it on an identical laptop as external
usb and as internal. both configurations (internal/external) on this
specific laptop have problems with the mouse. I did try also a fresh
install and same thing.

I *was* using Toshiba C655D-S5120
and it worked fine.

Now I am using Toshiba L775D-S7222 and it has this issue.

I would like to trace the source of the problem if anyone has ideas. I
would'nt know where to start.