Old 02-14-2008, 01:11 PM
stan

Default compiz on machines with ATI cards?

I have just set up compiz on several machines with Nvidia graphics cards,
and it is cool.. Ok so it's kust eye candy, and a huge waste of CPU cycles
:-)

So, I have a laptop, and a number of Sun 2100's that have ATI cards for
graphics. Is there a way to run compiz on them? Here is the line out of
xorg.conf for one of the 2100's:

Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL"

and it is presently using the "ati" driver.

Can I do this? if so how?

programs.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Kristian Rink

Am Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:11:22 -0500
schrieb stan <stanb@panix.com>:

> So, I have a laptop, and a number of Sun 2100's that have ATI cards
> for graphics. Is there a way to run compiz on them? Here is the line
> out of xorg.conf for one of the 2100's:
>
> Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL"
>
> and it is presently using the "ati" driver.

Well... not having tried it, I want to keep myself from stating that
it's impossible. However given it's really a Rage XL, I think chances
to get this done are rather bad - used to own one of these cards ages
ago, AGP2x, 8 megs of graphics RAM, no real 3D acceleration, wonky
drivers. If these display adapters really are what xorg.conf say, guess
I wouldn't give it a try. But maybe your /var/log/Xorg.*.log is a
little more verbose about that?

Cheers,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
jab: kawazu@jabber.ccc.de * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771

Old 02-14-2008, 04:47 PM
David Vincent

Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 14/02/2008, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> I have just set up compiz on several machines with Nvidia graphics cards,
> and it is cool.. Ok so it's kust eye candy, and a huge waste of CPU cycles
> :-)
>
> So, I have a laptop, and a number of Sun 2100's that have ATI cards for
> graphics. Is there a way to run compiz on them? Here is the line out of
> xorg.conf for one of the 2100's:
>
> Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL"
>
> and it is presently using the "ati" driver.
>
> Can I do this? if so how?

Here is my xorg.conf file. I've got an ATI X1400 in a Dell Inspiron
6400 with Compiz-Fusion running.

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1680x1050"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
VertRefresh 59.9 - 60.1
Option "dpms"
EndSection