-   -   Help! Big trouble with access rights on NFS shares. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/55412-help-big-trouble-access-rights-nfs-shares.html)

Joerg Desch 02-14-2008 12:31 PM

Help! Big trouble with access rights on NFS shares.

I've done several installations of clients and servers with debian and ubuntu. All of these installation were only small networks, but without trouble. Now I have a problem with NFS, I've never seen before.

My server is running Breezy (yes, it's old, I know ). The harddisks are exported with Samba (for the windoze clients) and with NFS. There is no NIS server active, so I add the user-ids and group-id allways manually. The samba daemon is configured with "force group" to ensure a unique group for each share.

And here is my problem: I've installed Gutsy for a brand new client. The UIDs and GIDs are exactly the same as on the server. I've checked this more than twice! After mounting a NFS path, I can see the access rights as expected -- the GID matches the name. But even if the group rights are matching, I can't get access to the directories! If I am the owner, all is working fine, but if I am only in the same group, it seems that I only get the rights of "other". If I create a directory on the server (with 770), all the other group members can access it (with samba). The group name (and it's ID) is equal to the older directories.

Sample: good_dir with owner jd:group and 770 is ok, but bad_dir with owner foo:group and 770 is not accessable!

If I mount the share with smbfs, I have access as expected.

Heres the snippet from my Gutsy /etc/fstab

camelot:/home/jd /media/nfs/jd nfs rw,hard,intr,user,nosuid,exec,sync 0 0
camelot:/home/Samba/ /media/nfs/lan nfs rw,hard,intr,user,nosuid,exec,sync 0 0

What's the reason for this behaviour?

Is it possible that features like ACL or SElinux are the reason for my problem? I neither use ACL nor SElinux (as far as I know), but maybe the default configuration of Gutsy is a problem.

I've made another simple test: my UID is 3000. Now I've created a test user with the UID 3001. He is member of the same groups a I am. Using this test user (on the same PC), I can access the the above mentioned test directories good_dir and bad_bir. Why? Where's my problem?

Or more information: my previous server / clients were based on Woody (server) and Warty. I've used the same configuration here without trouble.

By the way: the Midnight-Commander shows me the access rights of the filesystem (775, ...) by name (with c-x o). Nautilus seems to get more informations. Here the directories have labels showing the access limitations.

Any hints?

--
Email: Joerg Desch <jd DOT vvd AT web DOT de>