Old 07-18-2011, 06:05 PM
"H.S.Rai"

Default N/W manager applet disappears

NetworkManager Applet 0.8.1 on Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)
disappears when wifi is not available. Some times "sudo service
network-manager restart" bring it back, but mostly it does not. In
this way I am not able to connect through my datacard.

Is there any way to keep N/W manager applet in panel (it used to be
there earlier), whether some wifi connection is there or not.

How to connect to a particular wifi connection / lan or ppp through
some command or script, as I found commands are more reliable than
GUI.

--
H.S.Rai

Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Avi

H.S.Rai wrote:

> How to connect to a particular wifi connection / lan or ppp through
> some command or script, as I found commands are more reliable than
> GUI.

I can't help with network mangler, but in brief, assiming your wifi
device is called 'wlan0' you can do it from the command line like this:

ifconfig wlan0 up
iwlist wlan0 essid <essid of the network> key s:<passphrase>
dhclient wlan0

Either as root or with all of those prepended with 'sudo '. If you've
not got a passphrase and instead use a hex string, you need to omit the
's:'. Either way, have a read of man iwlist.

You can use

iwlist wlan0 scan

to view available networks if you don't know the precise name of the
one you intend to use.

--
Avi

Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Colin Law

On 18 July 2011 19:05, H.S.Rai <hardeep.rai@gmail.com> wrote:
> NetworkManager Applet 0.8.1 on Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)
> disappears when wifi is not available. Some times "sudo service
> network-manager restart" bring it back, but mostly it does not. In
> this way I am not able to connect through my datacard.
>
> Is there any way to keep N/W manager applet in panel (it used to be
> there earlier), whether some wifi connection is there or not.
>
> How to connect to a particular wifi connection / lan or ppp through
> some command or script, as I found commands are more reliable than
> GUI.

Many who have problems with network manager find that wicd works
better for them. Myself included on one of my machines.

Colin