Old 07-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Kipton Moravec

Default Adobe Illustrator equivalent for Ubuntu

I am looking for a program to let me design front panels for electronic
boxes.

I need to be able to place circles and shapes for cutouts at precise X Y
coordinate positions, and place text and graphics in precise locations
relative to the cutouts and overall size and shapes.

If it outputs in a vector format as opposed to dot-matrix format that
would be even better.

Is there such a thing, or am I just dreaming?

Kip

Old 07-18-2011, 05:10 PM
NoOp

On 07/18/2011 10:09 AM, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> I am looking for a program to let me design front panels for electronic
> boxes.
>
> I need to be able to place circles and shapes for cutouts at precise X Y
> coordinate positions, and place text and graphics in precise locations
> relative to the cutouts and overall size and shapes.
>
> If it outputs in a vector format as opposed to dot-matrix format that
> would be even better.
Inkscape.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Jesse Palser

I am looking for a program to let me design front panels for electronic
boxes.

I need to be able to place circles and shapes for cutouts at precise X Y
coordinate positions, and place text and graphics in precise locations
relative to the cutouts and overall size and shapes.

If it outputs in a vector format as opposed to dot-matrix format that
would be even better.

Is there such a thing, or am I just dreaming?

Kip

Hi,

Look for program called "Scribus" in Ubuntu Software Center.
Hope its what you need.
Good luck!

Jesse "JeZ+Lee"
16BitSoft
Video Game Design Studio
www.16BitSoft.com

Old 07-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Duane Hill

There is also: http://www.xaraxtreme.org

Old 07-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Doug

I am looking for a program to let me design front panels for electronic
boxes.

I need to be able to place circles and shapes for cutouts at precise X Y
coordinate positions, and place text and graphics in precise locations
relative to the cutouts and overall size and shapes.

If it outputs in a vector format as opposed to dot-matrix format that
would be even better.

Inkscape.

There is also: http://www.xaraxtreme.org

You may be able to use QCad, an almost AutoCad clone. I haven't really
gotten

into it, since I have AutoCadLt on my Windows machine, and I'm used to that.

--doug

Old 07-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Kipton Moravec

On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 10:10 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/18/2011 10:09 AM, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> > I am looking for a program to let me design front panels for electronic
> > boxes.
> >
> > I need to be able to place circles and shapes for cutouts at precise X Y
> > coordinate positions, and place text and graphics in precise locations
> > relative to the cutouts and overall size and shapes.
> >
> > If it outputs in a vector format as opposed to dot-matrix format that
> > would be even better.
> Inkscape.

I had just found Inkscape bit it does not export or import .IA format.

Thanks,

Kip

Old 07-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Kipton Moravec

On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 13:11 -0400, Jesse Palser wrote:
> On 07/18/2011 01:09 PM, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> > I am looking for a program to let me design front panels for electronic
> > boxes.
> >
> > I need to be able to place circles and shapes for cutouts at precise X Y
> > coordinate positions, and place text and graphics in precise locations
> > relative to the cutouts and overall size and shapes.
> >
> > If it outputs in a vector format as opposed to dot-matrix format that
> > would be even better.
> >
> > Is there such a thing, or am I just dreaming?
> >
> > Kip
> >
> Hi,
>
> Look for program called "Scribus" in Ubuntu Software Center.
> Hope its what you need.
> Good luck!
>
> Jesse "JeZ+Lee"
> 16BitSoft
> Video Game Design Studio
> www.16BitSoft.com

I am looking at it. It does not look like it supports .IA format. It
looks like it works in points (unless there is a option to work in
inches or mils.)

Thanks,

Kip

Mon Jul 18 22:30:04 2011