Old 07-18-2011, 01:15 AM
NoOp

Default why is kdm running at all?

On 07/17/2011 04:18 PM, Bill Walton wrote:
> I've got an ec2 instance running 8.04 LTS. It started life as an ami
> that Eric Hammond created / contributed. TOP is showing kdm taking
> 95-100% cpu. Why is kdm running at all on a server that can't be
> accessed via anything but ssh? Much less talking that much cpu? Is
> there something I can do to reduce / eliminate the usage by kdm?

Don't know. You could always ask on:
http://alestic.com/support

Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Bill Walton

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/17/2011 04:18 PM, Bill Walton wrote:
>> I've got an ec2 instance running 8.04 LTS. *It started life as an ami
>> that Eric Hammond created / contributed. *TOP is showing kdm taking
>> 95-100% cpu. *Why is kdm running at all on a server that can't be
>> accessed via anything but ssh? * Much less talking that much cpu? *Is
>> there something I can do to reduce / eliminate the usage by kdm?
>
> Don't know. You could always ask on:
> http://alestic.com/support

Agreed. Should have thought of that. Just posted the question there.

But let me ask it differently. Is there a reason that kdm on Hardy
would be running at a high level of cpu utilization, or any
utilization at all, when there is nothing but an ssh terminal
accessing it for display purposes? Does kdm serve uses other than
terminal / screen output that might explain this?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 07-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Hal Burgiss

On Jul 17, 2011 7:19 PM, "Bill Walton" <bwalton.im@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got an ec2 instance running 8.04 LTS. *It started life as an ami

> that Eric Hammond created / contributed. *TOP is showing kdm taking

> 95-100% cpu. *Why is kdm running at all on a server that can't be

> accessed via anything but ssh? * Much less talking that much cpu? *Is

> there something I can do to reduce / eliminate the usage by kdm?

Not needed for a server. apt-get remove it.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 AM
NoOp

On 07/17/2011 06:27 PM, Bill Walton wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 07/17/2011 04:18 PM, Bill Walton wrote:
>>> I've got an ec2 instance running 8.04 LTS. It started life as an ami
>>> that Eric Hammond created / contributed. TOP is showing kdm taking
>>> 95-100% cpu. Why is kdm running at all on a server that can't be
>>> accessed via anything but ssh? Much less talking that much cpu? Is
>>> there something I can do to reduce / eliminate the usage by kdm?
>>
>> Don't know. You could always ask on:
>> http://alestic.com/support
>
> Agreed. Should have thought of that. Just posted the question there.
>
> But let me ask it differently. Is there a reason that kdm on Hardy
> would be running at a high level of cpu utilization, or any
> utilization at all, when there is nothing but an ssh terminal
> accessing it for display purposes? Does kdm serve uses other than
> terminal / screen output that might explain this?

Not that I'm aware of.
$ ps aux | grep kdm
gg 6795 0.0 0.0 4008 524 pts/2 D+ 18:35 0:00 grep
--color=auto kdm

the odd part is that the process PID changes each time:
$ ps auw | grep kdm
gg 6878 0.0 0.0 4008 752 pts/2 S+ 18:43 0:00 grep
--color=auto kdm

I seem to recall that there was a thread sometime back that indicated
that this process isn't the actual 'kdm' but is an x process of sorts.
I'll see if I can find it.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 AM
Jeffrey Gray

You are greping the your grep. That is not the actual process

Old 07-18-2011, 02:27 AM

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 21:45, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> the odd part is that the process PID changes each time:
> $ ps auw | grep kdm
> gg * * * *6878 *0.0 *0.0 * 4008 * 752 pts/2 * *S+ * 18:43 * 0:00 grep
> --color=auto kdm

As has been said by Jeffrey Gray, you're seeing your own grep matching
the regex you're looking for in ps output.

Add another layer to that for kicks:

ps auw | grep kdm | grep -v grep

and notice the difference.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:27 AM
NoOp

On 07/17/2011 07:13 PM, Jeffrey Gray wrote:
> You are greping the your grep. That is not the actual process
Yeah... just realized that - thanks :-)

Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 AM
Bill Walton

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I seem to recall that there was a thread sometime back that indicated
> that this process isn't the actual 'kdm' but is an x process of sorts.
> I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks. While I'd love to just get rid of it, I'm a little more than
hesitant since it seems a bit unlikely to my uninformed mind that a
process that isn't needed is running this 'intensely.'

Best regards,
Bill