Old 07-16-2011, 10:15 PM
"Goku."

Default Options for managing removable drives and media in ubuntu 10.04

Hello, anyone know the name of the package that gives
options for managing removable drives and media in ubuntu?,
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on a desktop and can not find that option
is this another route? or just do not come by default
this version.
attached a picture to see the one I mean.

http://www.dropmocks.com/mXdG8

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Rashkae

Hello, anyone know the name of the package that gives
options for managing removable drives and media in ubuntu?,
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on a desktop and can not find that option
is this another route? or just do not come by default
this version.

This is handled by Nautilus, the file manager. Open the file manager,,
Edit menu -> Preferences and Media Tab.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:31 AM
"Goku."

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> On 07/16/2011 06:15 PM, Goku. wrote:
>>
>> Hello, anyone know the name of the package that gives
>> options for managing removable drives and media in ubuntu?,
>> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on a desktop and can not find that option
>> is this another route? or just do not come by default
>> this version.
>
> This is handled by Nautilus, the file manager. *Open the file manager,, Edit
> menu -> Preferences and Media Tab.

Thanks, I had checked that option, but there are no options for USB
devices, the problem is that when you insert USB devices, does not
display the icon, but lsusb tells me that if it is inserted, maybe
options are disabled automatically mount and I want to fix that. In
the "support" only shows the options of CD, DVD, music, pictures and
software but no USB.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:02 AM
Rashkae

On 07/16/2011 09:31 PM, Goku. wrote:

Thanks, I had checked that option, but there are no options for USB
devices, the problem is that when you insert USB devices, does not
display the icon, but lsusb tells me that if it is inserted, maybe
options are disabled automatically mount and I want to fix that. In
the "support" only shows the options of CD, DVD, music, pictures and
software but no USB.

Ah, in that case, run gconf-editor. Navigate the left tree to Apps ->
Nautilus -> Preferences

Verify that media_automount is checked. If it is, but it's not working,
then there is something fundamentally broken with your install.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:25 PM
"Goku."

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> On 07/16/2011 09:31 PM, Goku. wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, I had checked that option, but there are no options for USB
>> devices, the problem is that when you insert USB devices, does not
>> display the icon, but lsusb tells me that if it is inserted, maybe
>> options are disabled automatically mount and I want to fix that. In
>> the "support" only shows the options of CD, DVD, music, pictures and
>> software but no USB.
>>

> Ah, in that case, run gconf-editor. *Navigate the left tree to Apps ->
> Nautilus -> Preferences
>
> Verify that media_automount is checked. *If it is, but it's not working,
> then there is something fundamentally broken with your install.

I followed your suggestions and if those options are marked, I also
thought that something may be wrong with the installation. I've also
read that you can edit the fstab file to fix these problems with USB
devices, so I also tried adding these lines:

/ dev / sdb / mnt / usb vfat users, exec, noauto, noatime, rw 0 0

/ dev / sda / mnt / pendrive auto rw, user, noauto 0 1

There is another option to add to fstab?

Thank you very much for the help.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Avi

Goku. wrote:
> I've also read that you can edit the fstab file to fix these
> problems with USB devices, so I also tried adding these lines:
>
> / dev / sdb / mnt / usb vfat users, exec, noauto, noatime, rw 0 0
>
> / dev / sda / mnt / pendrive auto rw, user, noauto 0 1

These lines, as they're written above, won't work. There's a lot of
extraneous whitespace. They should probably read

/dev/sdb /mnt/usb vfat users,exec,noauto,noatime,rw 0 0
/dev/sda /mnt/pendrive auto rw,user,noauto 0 1

/dev/sdb and /dev/sda are the paths to the two devices. and /mnt/usb
and /mnt/pendrive are the paths to their respective
mountpoints. The options lists also need to be comma-separated rather
than comma-and-space separated.

/etc/fstab (and a lot of linxy things) uses whitespace as
a delimiter, so if you put it in where it's not wanted the computer
might to unexpected things.

--
Avi

Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 PM
"Goku."

>> / dev / sdb / mnt / usb vfat users, exec, noauto, noatime, rw 0 0
>>
>> / dev / sda / mnt / pendrive auto rw, user, noauto 0 1
>
> These lines, as they're written above, won't work. There's a lot of
> extraneous whitespace. They should probably read
>
> /dev/sdb /mnt/usb vfat users,exec,noauto,noatime,rw 0 0
> /dev/sda /mnt/pendrive auto rw,user,noauto 0 1
>
> /dev/sdb and /dev/sda are the paths to the two devices. and /mnt/usb
> and /mnt/pendrive are the paths to their respective
> mountpoints. The options lists also need to be comma-separated rather
> than comma-and-space separated.
>
> /etc/fstab (and a lot of linxy things) uses whitespace as
> a delimiter, so if you put it in where it's not wanted the computer
> might to unexpected things.

They are written as you indicate, only I gave a lot of space in the email,
But these lines do not work, there are others to try?

Old 07-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Avi

Goku. wrote:

> They are written as you indicate, only I gave a lot of space in the
> email, But these lines do not work, there are others to try?

Ah, one thing that's worth noting, which I should have spotted earlier,
is that /dev/sda isn't a filesystem that can be mounted. /dev/sda is
the first sata or scsi *drive* and /dev/sdb is the second. You need to
specify the partition, by appending its number.

/dev/sda1 is the first partition on the disk, /dev/sda2 the second.
They might not be numbered in a sane-looking way, though.
The easiest way might be to just repeatedly try doing it manually and
then go on to add what works to the fstab.

What's the actual problem you're trying to solve? You started by asking
about the tool for managing removable drives, /etc/fstab is probably
not what you were actually after, since it's rather brittle by defualt,
and the desktop environment provides a few shortcuts. If you always
want some volume automatically mounted at the same place by Nautilus,
then it's nautilus that probably wants configuring.

--
Avi

Old 07-17-2011, 11:56 PM
"Goh Lip"

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 02:33:52 +0800, Goku. <5.46890@gmail.com> wrote:

They are written as you indicate, only I gave a lot of space in the
email,

But these lines do not work, there are others to try?

Goku, spaces is not trivial (means something) in linux. Please be accurate.
So I am slightly reluctant in asking you to try this because this is for
mounting all devices and partitions at boot.

Add "automount" (without apostrophes) before "exit 0" line at /etc/rc.local

Regards - Goh Lip

--
I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:40 AM
"Goku."

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Avi <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Goku. wrote:
>
>> They are written as you indicate, only I gave a lot of space in the
>> email, But these lines do not work, there are others to try?
>
> Ah, one thing that's worth noting, which I should have spotted earlier,
> is that /dev/sda isn't a filesystem that can be mounted. /dev/sda is
> the first sata or scsi *drive* and /dev/sdb is the second. You need to
> specify the partition, by appending its number.
>
> /dev/sda1 is the first partition on the disk, /dev/sda2 the second.
> They might not be numbered in a sane-looking way, though.
> The easiest way might be to just repeatedly try doing it manually and
> then go on to add what works to the fstab.
>
> What's the actual problem you're trying to solve? You started by asking
> about the tool for managing removable drives,

The problem is I can not see icons when insert USB devices. Maybe I
should write a different matter, but wanted to know the name of the
package can handle removable devices, but I can not find those options
on Ubuntu 10.04, should be in system - preferences - removable drives
and media. I tried to run gconf-editor as suggested Rashkae, but they
were marked options.

I have also indicated the partition number on the line I added to
Fstab but still not working.

Goh Lip:

I added this way automount

automount
exit 0

correct this?

Add automount does not work

Something strange is that after two hours (approximately) after
turning on the computer, if I can see the icons if I insert USB
devices.

we continue with this problem in this conversation? I ask because I
started asking about the package to manage USB devices and has strayed
a bit the main proceedings. Thanks for your suggestions.

--
Goku.