Old 07-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Jens Müller

Default 2.6.38 kernel not booting

Am 16.07.2011 22:32, schrieb Jens Müller:

Only the 2.6.35 from before the release upgrade to 11.04 works.

The problem with (two versions of) 2.6.38 is: After I choose it from the
grub menu, there is only a blue screen (not a bluescreen, but the same
blue). Dunno why, or where it comes from. I'd have thought the grub
config including all the nice graphic config would be installed
everytime I run update-grub.

2.6.35 has a graphical display asking me for the password.

Thanks to advice from IRC, I edited the grub command line for the 2.6.38
kernel. I still had the blue screen. But I now typed the crypt password
blind. This lead to the kernel booting up. But I got no further than this:

https://plus.google.com/100569900232995150169/posts/YXW5G7PsRDw

(this is a real screen shot, at least of the interesting part).

Any further ideas?

Jens

Old 07-17-2011, 01:16 AM
NoOp

On 07/16/2011 01:32 PM, Jens Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have problems with the 2.6.38 kernel which was installed with Ubuntu
> 11.04.
>
> Only the 2.6.35 from before the release upgrade to 11.04 works.
>
> The problem with (two versions of) 2.6.38 is: After I choose it from the
> grub menu, there is only a blue screen (not a bluescreen, but the same
> blue). Dunno why, or where it comes from. I'd have thought the grub
> config including all the nice graphic config would be installed
> everytime I run update-grub.
>
> 2.6.35 has a graphical display asking me for the password.
>
> My /boot/grub/grub.cfg is at http://paste.ubuntu.com/645514/.
>
> My /etc/default/grub is at http://paste.ubuntu.com/645517/
>

> Maybe the initrd of 2.6.38 is somehow broken - like, if it cannot handle
> LVM or RAID or crypt, it of course won't work. But I have no idea how to
> debug this.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Jens

Can you boot to recovery mode on the 2.6.38 kernel & run the dpkg
option? See if that corrects anything.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Jens Müller

Only the 2.6.35 from before the release upgrade to 11.04 works.

The problem with (two versions of) 2.6.38 is: After I choose it from the
grub menu, there is only a blue screen (not a bluescreen, but the same
blue). Dunno why, or where it comes from. I'd have thought the grub
config including all the nice graphic config would be installed
everytime I run update-grub.

2.6.35 has a graphical display asking me for the password.

Thanks to advice from IRC, I edited the grub command line for the 2.6.38
kernel. I still had the blue screen. But I now typed the crypt password
blind. This lead to the kernel booting up. But I got no further than this:

https://plus.google.com/100569900232995150169/posts/YXW5G7PsRDw

(this is a real screen shot, at least of the interesting part).

Any further ideas?

OK, I got another bit further: I booted the usable 2.6.35 again. As this
seemed to be mostly a graphics problem, I searched for nvidia-related bugs.

I did dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current. Unfortunately, this broke my
2.6.35 - headers for it not installed, and no longer available from the
default repositories.

But now I could boot the 2.6.38 (edit grub command line - change
"splash" to "text", type dmcrypt password blind). It booted up. It
_said_ that it started kdm, but no kdm screen appeared. But I could
change to a console with Alt-F1. sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart indeed
yielded a usable kdm.

In summary: I know now I can boot the system with the current kernel,
but there are still two not so nice issues (no dmcrypt password prompt,
having to (re)start kdm manually) I'd like to get rid of.

Any hints are welcome.

Jens

Old 07-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Jens Müller