Old 07-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Barbara Tobias

Default Access to Computer on Local Network

wrote:
> 16.7.2011 16:02, Barbara Tobias kirjoitti:
> > Before upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal), I had access
to a
> > computer running Windows on an inhouse wireless network. I'm
sure
> it
> > must still be available, but I can't seem to find out how to
access
> it
> > now. I don't use this facility often, so I don't remember
exactly
> how I
> > got there before, although I believe it was through an icon that
> brought
> > up the file system, one element of which was "Shared Network".
> >
> > What other information do you need to help me? Thank you.
> >
> From: Donkey Hottie <donkey@fredriksson.dy.fi>
> I have "Network" visible in my Natty Narwhal, and I see and can
access
> my windows computers with it. It's just a click.

Sorry to be so dense, but I have looked everywhere and don't find a
"Network" indicator. Can you tell me how you get to it? By
clicking on
"Home Folder" or what? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Donkey Hottie

16.7.2011 20:35, Barbara Tobias kirjoitti:
> wrote:
> > 16.7.2011 16:02, Barbara Tobias kirjoitti:
> > > Before upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal), I had access
> to a
> > > computer running Windows on an inhouse wireless network. I'm
> sure
> > it
> > > must still be available, but I can't seem to find out how to
> access
> > it
> > > now. I don't use this facility often, so I don't remember
> exactly
> > how I
> > > got there before, although I believe it was through an icon that
> > brought
> > > up the file system, one element of which was "Shared Network".
> > >
> > > What other information do you need to help me? Thank you.
> > >
> > From: Donkey Hottie <donkey@fredriksson.dy.fi>
> > I have "Network" visible in my Natty Narwhal, and I see and can
> access
> > my windows computers with it. It's just a click.
> >

> Sorry to be so dense, but I have looked everywhere and don't find a
> "Network" indicator. Can you tell me how you get to it? By
> clicking on
> "Home Folder" or what? Thanks.

Yes, I get from that "Home Folder". It just should be there.

--

"I understand this is your first dead client," Sabian was saying. The
absurdity of the statement made me want to laugh but they don't call me

Sat Jul 16 21:30:01 2011
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Santiago_Enrique_Lemus_Mart=EDnez?=
<esdumbo2003@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 12:27:21 -0600
Subject: Re: syslog daemon facilty
To: Community support for Fedora users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Sender: users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org

--===============4938231720311077736==

--20cf30266edce2a04904a833eb8e

use
tail /var/log/messages

2011/7/16 Maurizio Marini <maumar@datalogica.com>

> One of the first thing u note coming from debian, is that tailing for
> daemon doesn't tail anything
> I wonder why redhat never used /var/log/daemon.log ad syslog daemon
> facility; this is not an issue of course, i add it, this is only an
> historical
> question
>
> m.

--20cf30266edce2a04904a833eb8e

16 Maurizio Marini <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:maumar@datalogic=
uote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1e=
x;">

One of the first thing u note coming from debian, is that tailing for<br>
daemon doesn't tail anything <br>
I wonder why =A0redhat never used /var/log/daemon.log ad syslog daemon<br>
facility; this is not an issue of course, i add it, this is only an histori=
cal<br>
question <br>
m.<br>
users mailing list<br>
org</a><br>
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:<br>
Guidelines: <a href=3D"http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guideline=
s" target=3D"_blank">http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines<=
/a><br>

--20cf30266edce2a04904a833eb8e--

--===============4938231720311077736==--

Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Colin Law

On 16 July 2011 18:35, Barbara Tobias <barbtobias09@gmail.com> wrote:
> *wrote:
> * *> 16.7.2011 16:02, Barbara Tobias kirjoitti:
> * *> > Before upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal), I had access
> to a
> * *> > computer running Windows on an inhouse wireless network. *I'm
> sure
> * *> it
> * *> > must still be available, but I can't seem to find out how to
> access
> * *> it
> * *> > now. *I don't use this facility often, so I don't remember
> exactly
> * *> how I
> * *> > got there before, although I believe it was through an icon that
> * *> brought
> * *> > up the file system, one element of which was "Shared Network".
> * *> >
> * *> > What other information do you need to help me? *Thank you.
> * *> >
> * *> From: Donkey Hottie <donkey@fredriksson.dy.fi>
> * *> I have "Network" visible in my Natty Narwhal, and I see and can
> access
> * *> my windows computers with it. It's just a click.
> * *>
> * *>
> * *Sorry to be so dense, but I have looked everywhere and don't find a
> * *"Network" indicator. *Can you tell me how you get to it? *By
> clicking on
> * *"Home Folder" or what? *Thanks.

Clicking the Home Folder launcher icon should open Nautilus (the file
manager). In the left hand column should be a Network link.

Colin

Old 07-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Barbara Tobias

> ? ?Sorry to be so dense, but I have looked everywhere and don't find a
> ? ?"Network" indicator. ?Can you tell me how you get to it? ?By
> clicking on
> ? ?"Home Folder" or what? ?Thanks.

Clicking the Home Folder launcher icon should open Nautilus (the file
manager). In the left hand column should be a Network link.

Colin

I have two folder launcher icons in the left-hand column. One brings up
all the folders and files under /home/barbara and the other bring up a
screen for searching for files or folders. Is there some way I can see
if perhaps something is not loaded properly on my system? Thanks.

Barbara

Old 07-17-2011, 12:54 AM
NoOp

On 07/16/2011 02:38 PM, Barbara Tobias wrote:
>> ? ?Sorry to be so dense, but I have looked everywhere and don't find a
>> ? ?"Network" indicator. ?Can you tell me how you get to it? ?By
>> clicking on
>> ? ?"Home Folder" or what? ?Thanks.
>
> Clicking the Home Folder launcher icon should open Nautilus (the file
> manager). In the left hand column should be a Network link.
>
> Colin
>
> I have two folder launcher icons in the left-hand column. One brings up
> all the folders and files under /home/barbara and the other bring up a
> screen for searching for files or folders. Is there some way I can see
> if perhaps something is not loaded properly on my system? Thanks.
>
> Barbara

Easiest way is to switch to Ubuntu Classic... however, in Unity when you
bring up the first folder listing /home/barbara, move your mouse to the
top panel; just to the right of 'Home' you'll see 'File Edit View Go
Bookmarks Help', select 'Go|Windows Network' or 'Go|Network' &
double-click Windows Network in the Nautilus pane. Then again for the
network name. If that doesn't work (Unable to mount location), then
'Go|Location' and that will get you to: smb:///. Enter the ip address of
the other machine in the box as: smb://<ipaddress> and select enter -
that should get you there.

Also, you are posting via gmail & every reply that you make starts a new
thread. I don't use gmail, but If you look through the archives you'll
most likely find a thread telling you how to keep your replies to the
same thread. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Colin Law

On 16 July 2011 22:38, Barbara Tobias <barbtobias09@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ? ?Sorry to be so dense, but I have looked everywhere and don't find a
>> ? ?"Network" indicator. ?Can you tell me how you get to it? ?By
>> clicking on
>> ? ?"Home Folder" or what? ?Thanks.
>
> Clicking the Home Folder launcher icon should open Nautilus (the file
> manager). *In the left hand column should be a Network link.
>
> Colin
>
> I have two folder launcher icons in the left-hand column. *One brings up
> all the folders and files under /home/barbara

In that one select View > Side Pane (or hit F9), that will bring up
the Places pane and you should see Network in there.

Colin

Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Colin Law

On 17 July 2011 01:54, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/16/2011 02:38 PM, Barbara Tobias wrote:
> Also, you are posting via gmail & every reply that you make starts a new
> thread. I don't use gmail, but If you look through the archives you'll
> most likely find a thread telling you how to keep your replies to the
> same thread. Thanks.

@NoOp: Are my replies ok? I just hit Reply in gmail.

@Barbara: Are you just hitting Reply in gmail to reply or doing something else?

Colin

Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 PM
NoOp

On 07/17/2011 12:53 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 17 July 2011 01:54, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 07/16/2011 02:38 PM, Barbara Tobias wrote:
>> Also, you are posting via gmail & every reply that you make starts a new
>> thread. I don't use gmail, but If you look through the archives you'll
>> most likely find a thread telling you how to keep your replies to the
>> same thread. Thanks.
>
> @NoOp: Are my replies ok? I just hit Reply in gmail.

Yes. Your reply is to the same thread.