Old 07-16-2011, 03:32 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default New kernel fails miserably on natty

I have one freshly nattied machine that I just got working.* Then I applied updates.* Ouch.
2.6.38.8-generic-pae works fine, but I have to choose it from the "old versions" menu in Grub.

2.6.38.10-generic-pae fails as soon as it's selected, by restarting the machine at the BIOS

power-on self-test, scanning for controllers and hard drives etc, with no visible error message
or indication of failure.* The machine is a bit old (2001 BIOS), but this reaction is a bit severe, I think.

Anybody else?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-16-2011, 05:06 PM
"compdoc"

>2.6.38.10-generic-pae fails as soon as it's selected, by restarting the machine at the BIOS
>power-on self-test, scanning for controllers and hard drives etc, with no visible error message
>or indication of failure.* The machine is a bit old (2001 BIOS), but this reaction is a bit severe, I think.>
>Anybody else?

I have 2.6.38.10-generic running on a couple of machines now with no issues - but it's no PAE, as they are 64bit.
*
*
*

Old 07-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Frank McCormick

On 16/07/11 01:06 PM, compdoc wrote:

*>*2.6.38.10-generic-pae fails as soon as it's selected, by restarting
the machine at the BIOS
>power-on self-test, scanning for controllers and hard drives etc, with
no visible error message
>or indication of failure. The machine is a bit old (2001 BIOS), but
this reaction is a bit severe, I think.

>Anybody else?

I have 2.6.38.10-generic running on a couple of machines now with no
issues - but it's no PAE, as they are 64bit.

On my Debian Sid installation none of the PAE kernels will run. The
Kernel developers seem to think it's a hardware problem...despite the
fact earlier kernels ran (and still run) fine. My BIOS is from 2003.

YMMV

--
Cheers

Old 07-16-2011, 05:29 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

*>*2.6.38.10-generic-pae fails as soon as it's selected, by restarting

the machine at the BIOS

*>power-on self-test, scanning for controllers and hard drives etc, with

no visible error message

*>or indication of failure. The machine is a bit old (2001 BIOS), but

this reaction is a bit severe, I think.

*>

*>Anybody else?

I have 2.6.38.10-generic running on a couple of machines now with no

issues - but it's no PAE, as they are 64bit.

*On my Debian Sid installation none of the PAE kernels will run. The Kernel developers seem to think it's a hardware problem...despite the fact earlier kernels ran (and still run) fine. My BIOS is from 2003.

YMMV
Hmmm.* I only have 2 GB RAM on this particular machine, but choose PAE out of habit.* I cannot reboot mine at the moment, but I wonder if 2.6.38.1-generic (no PAE)* would run?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Frank McCormick

*>*2.6.38.10-generic-pae fails as soon as it's selected, by
restarting

the machine at the BIOS
>power-on self-test, scanning for controllers and hard drives
etc, with
no visible error message
>or indication of failure. The machine is a bit old (2001
BIOS), but
this reaction is a bit severe, I think.

>Anybody else?

I have 2.6.38.10-generic running on a couple of machines now with no
issues - but it's no PAE, as they are 64bit.

On my Debian Sid installation none of the PAE kernels will run.
The Kernel developers seem to think it's a hardware
problem...despite the fact earlier kernels ran (and still run) fine.
My BIOS is from 2003.
YMMV

Hmmm. I only have 2 GB RAM on this particular machine, but choose PAE
out of habit. I cannot reboot mine at the moment, but I wonder if
2.6.38.1-generic (no PAE) would run?

Only one way to know

--
Cheers

Old 07-16-2011, 07:16 PM
"compdoc"

> Hmmm. I only have 2 GB RAM on this particular machine, but choose PAE
> out of habit.

I'm pretty sure you don't need PAE for only 2GB of ram.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:30 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

* * * **>*2.6.38.10-generic-pae fails as soon as it's selected, by

* * * *restarting

* * * *the machine at the BIOS

* * * * >power-on self-test, scanning for controllers and hard drives

* * * *etc, with

* * * *no visible error message

* * * * >or indication of failure. The machine is a bit old (2001

* * * *BIOS), but

* * * *this reaction is a bit severe, I think.

* * * * >

* * * * >Anybody else?

* * * *I have 2.6.38.10-generic running on a couple of machines now with no

* * * *issues - but it's no PAE, as they are 64bit.

* * *On my Debian Sid installation none of the PAE kernels will run.

* *The Kernel developers seem to think it's a hardware

* *problem...despite the fact earlier kernels ran (and still run) fine.

* *My BIOS is from 2003.

* *YMMV

Hmmm. *I only have 2 GB RAM on this particular machine, but choose PAE

out of habit. *I cannot reboot mine at the moment, but I wonder if

2.6.38.1-generic (no PAE) *would run?

*Only one way to know Yeah, I know, but as I said, the machine is busy right now.* I just wondered if anyone had gotten the
non-PAE one working on a system where PAE fails.* I can't try it myself for a few days because of the

nature of the current workload.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-17-2011, 12:15 AM
ssc1478

* * * **>*2.6.38.10-generic-pae fails as soon as it's selected, by

* * * *restarting

* * * *the machine at the BIOS

* * * * >power-on self-test, scanning for controllers and hard drives

* * * *etc, with

* * * *no visible error message

* * * * >or indication of failure. The machine is a bit old (2001

* * * *BIOS), but

* * * *this reaction is a bit severe, I think.

* * * * >

* * * * >Anybody else?

FWIW:
I was using LightDM and it would not work with the new kernel.* I got the signon box and it would just stop loading as soon as I clicked on a user name.* I'm using a pae kernel also.* I switched back to gdm and now it works.* Different symptoms but still a problem with the pae kernel.

Phil