Old 07-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Jordon Bedwell

Default A bit OT perhaps: Counsel on a newbie to php and MySQL (on Ubuntu!)

On 07/16/2011 09:14 AM, Peter N. Spotts wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've decided to learn php and MYSQL for web work, armed with "PHP and
> MYSQL for Dummies." But I find that even at that book's very basic
> level, the author assumes that once the two are installed, the reader
> will know how to activate them and what the directory structures are
> supposed to look like.
>
> I've installed PHP, Apache, and MySQL on my laptop, which I figured I'd
> use for my training wheels, as per instructions here:
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-apache2-with-php5-and-mysql-support-on-ubuntu-11.04-lamp
>
> When I try to start Apache as sudo, I get the following error message:
>
> apache2: Syntax error on line 227 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Could
> not open configuration file /etc/apache2/conf.d/drupal6.conf: No such
> file or directory
>
> And yet, when I call up a terminal and cd my way to /etc/apache2/conf.d,
> drupal6.conf indeed is present and accounted for.
>
> Is this a permissions issue? Or a not-so-obvious (to a newbie) place
> where I mucked up the installation? Any guidance on how to get this up
> and running would be appreciated.

Try:
sudo chown -R root:root /etc/apache2
sudo chmod -R u=rw,o=r,g=r /etc/apache2

Also, let us see the entry line in apache2.conf? Helps a bit.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:37 PM
"Peter N. Spotts"

On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 10:26 -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> sudo chmod -R u=rw,o=r,g=r /etc/apache2

Thanks for your reply, Jordan. Here's the offending line, which, as I
look at it, I wonder if it wants the full path:

# Include generic snippets of statements
Include conf.d/

With best regards,

Pete
--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
-- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

"I just bought a 12-pound theropod for Thanksgiving Dinner."
-- From a paleontology email list

Old 07-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 07/16/2011 01:37 PM, Peter N. Spotts wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, Jordan. Here's the offending line, which, as I
> look at it, I wonder if it wants the full path:
>
> # Include generic snippets of statements
> Include conf.d/

Try this:
Include conf.d/*.conf

Old 07-16-2011, 09:10 PM
"Peter N. Spotts"

On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 14:05 -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 07/16/2011 01:37 PM, Peter N. Spotts wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply, Jordan. Here's the offending line, which, as I
> > look at it, I wonder if it wants the full path:
> >
> > # Include generic snippets of statements
> > Include conf.d/
>
> Try this:
> Include conf.d/*.conf

Thanks, but that change still yields the error message when I try to
start Apache. However, when I did a full removal of Drupal (which I'll
play with after I have some fun with PHP and MySQL), Apache started
right up. So thanks again for your willingness to help!

With best regards,

Pete