Old 07-16-2011, 12:56 AM
NoOp

Default Safely clean old root account?

On one of my desktops I had a root account enabled for testing etc. I've
since disabled access to the account, but the process has left a bunch
of desktop 'user' type file in /root. Anyone know of a way to safely
clean /root so it is back to a clean default?

I know that I can renable the root account & log in to the account & do
some deleting, but is suspect that in the process I may end up borking
something.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:22 AM
sudhanshu gupta

you can use bleachbit it removes many unwanted material for both root and normal user
sudo apt-get install bleachbit
then go to accessories -> tools . and do that .

Sudhanshu

Old 07-16-2011, 02:07 AM
NoOp

On 07/15/2011 06:22 PM, sudhanshu gupta wrote:
> you can use bleachbit it removes many unwanted material for both root and
> normal user
>
> sudo apt-get install bleachbit
>
> then go to accessories -> tools . and do that .
Thanks but I fail to see how bleachbit will help me cleanup/restore a
/root profile to default.

If you add another user it's always easy to clean up as when you delete
the user you can elect to delet the user files too... or just do it
later via /home/<olduser> etc. However a root (user) account is quite
different & resides /root rather than /home. So I need to be careful
cleaning up anything there.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On one of my desktops I had a root account enabled for testing etc. I've
> since disabled access to the account, but the process has left a bunch
> of desktop 'user' type file in /root. Anyone know of a way to safely
> clean /root so it is back to a clean default?
>
> I know that I can renable the root account & log in to the account & do
> some deleting, but is suspect that in the process I may end up borking
> something.

G.

You surely know this from your other systems, but the single entry I
see (gksu nautilus) on my recent fresh install Natty /root is an empty
/root/Desktop. On my everyday Maverick, /root/Desktop shows a single
call to a java income tax application (java -jar
/opt/ProgramasRFB/IRPF2011/irpf.jar) that I guess, should not have
been installed as root.

So I believe that unless you have installed applications as root and
want to keep them, it seems that, while in sudo, you can safely delete
any entry at /root except /root/Desktop.

Lucio

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation

Old 07-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On one of my desktops I had a root account enabled for testing etc. I've
>> since disabled access to the account, but the process has left a bunch
>> of desktop 'user' type file in /root. Anyone know of a way to safely
>> clean /root so it is back to a clean default?
>>
>> I know that I can renable the root account & log in to the account & do
>> some deleting, but is suspect that in the process I may end up borking
>> something.
>
> G.
>
> You surely know this from your other systems, but the single entry I
> see (gksu nautilus) on my recent fresh install Natty /root is an empty
> /root/Desktop. On my everyday Maverick, /root/Desktop shows a single
> call to a java income tax application (java -jar
> /opt/ProgramasRFB/IRPF2011/irpf.jar) that I guess, should not have
> been installed as root.
>
> So I believe that unless you have installed applications as root and
> want to keep them, it seems that, while in sudo, you can safely delete
> any entry at /root except /root/Desktop.
>
> Lucio

G.

Please, scrap the last message, I forgot that even with gksu, Nautilus
does not show hidden files by default. There's a lot of stuff hidden
at /root. If it can be of any help I can send you the list of folders
in my /roots.

L.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Colin Law

On 16 July 2011 11:24, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On one of my desktops I had a root account enabled for testing etc. I've
>> since disabled access to the account, but the process has left a bunch
>> of desktop 'user' type file in /root. Anyone know of a way to safely
>> clean /root so it is back to a clean default?
>>
>> I know that I can renable the root account & log in to the account & do
>> some deleting, but is suspect that in the process I may end up borking
>> something.
>
> G.
>
> You surely know this from your other systems, but the single entry I
> see (gksu nautilus) on my recent fresh install Natty /root is an empty
> /root/Desktop. On my everyday Maverick, /root/Desktop shows a single
> call to a java income tax application (java -jar
> /opt/ProgramasRFB/IRPF2011/irpf.jar) that I guess, should not have
> been installed as root.

I think you *may* be mistaken in saying that is all there is, try
sudo ls -al /root

Colin

Old 07-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I think you *may* be mistaken in saying that is all there is, try
> sudo ls -al /root
>
> Colin

I was, read the next one...

L.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Colin Law

On 16 July 2011 12:19, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> I think you *may* be mistaken in saying that is all there is, try
>> sudo ls -al /root
>>
>> Colin
>>
> I was, read the next one...

It arrived just after I posted

Colin

Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> It arrived just after I posted
>
> Colin

Gmail is probably sleepy as me... lack of a nice breakfast and lots of
cofee... :-)

Old 07-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Hal Burgiss

If it were me ...
sudo cp -a /root /tmp/root.savesudo rm -fr */root/*
Could be all you need. You might also do a ...
cp -a /tmp/root.save/.bash* */tmp/root.save/.profile /root

to preserve shell setting stuff.
Just looking at my /root, all the other stuff in /root is generated by one app or another and probably would get recreated automatically, (eg .gnome stuff). *If not, its nothing a root user *really* needs anyway.

On one of my desktops I had a root account enabled for testing etc. I've

since disabled access to the account, but the process has left a bunch

of desktop 'user' type file in /root. Anyone know of a way to safely

clean /root so it is back to a clean default?

I know that I can renable the root account & log in to the account & do

some deleting, but is suspect that in the process I may end up borking

something.

Hal