Old 07-15-2011, 11:23 PM
ANDY

Default Ubuntu List vs Gmail - This message may not have been sent by:

Has anyone noticed on the list that seemingly everyone sending and reading from Gmail are getting a bold yellow banner on their messages stating, "This message may not have been sent by: " [user@gmail.com] "Learn More* Report phishing"?

I thought it was a temporary fluke, but now it seems consistent.

ANDY - Salt Lake, UT US

Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Alan Pope

On 16 July 2011 00:23, ANDY <sirald66@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone noticed on the list that seemingly everyone sending and reading
> from Gmail are getting a bold yellow banner on their messages stating, "This
> message may not have been sent by: " [user@gmail.com] "Learn More* Report
> phishing"?
>
> I thought it was a temporary fluke, but now it seems consistent.

That's a gmail 'feature'.

Al.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Wade Smart

<mailto:user@gmail.com>] "Learn More Report phishing"?

I thought it was a temporary fluke, but now it seems consistent.

ANDY - Salt Lake, UT US

I just looked in my gmail account, went though a lot of messages, I
didnt see any of those signs. I dont use the gmail interface but you
would think I would still see them.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Alan Pope

On 16 July 2011 00:32, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just looked in my gmail account, went though a lot of messages, I didnt
> see any of those signs. I dont use the gmail interface but you would think I
> would still see them.

There's a link to find out more if you do see it.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&ctx=mail&answer=185812

Al.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 7:23 PM, ANDY <sirald66@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone noticed on the list that seemingly everyone sending and reading
> from Gmail are getting a bold yellow banner on their messages stating, "This
> message may not have been sent by: " [user@gmail.com] "Learn More* Report
> phishing"?

Yes, it's been like this for a while.

Gmail doesn't seem to recognize that it's a post to a list.

it doesn't happen with my other lists so it's an Ubuntu "problem."

Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Ernest Doub

I am seeing the same thing.
The "problem" seems to be limited to this list only as I do not see it it on any of the other lists I am subscribed to.

Has anyone noticed on the list that seemingly everyone sending and reading from Gmail are getting a bold yellow banner on their messages stating, "This message may not have been sent by: " [user@gmail.com] "Learn More* Report phishing"?

I thought it was a temporary fluke, but now it seems consistent.

ANDY - Salt Lake, UT US

When Government fears the people there is Liberty.
When People fear the Government there is Tyranny.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Tab Gilbert

reading from Gmail are getting a bold yellow banner on their messages

Mine is a blue banner.

I am seeing the same thing.
The "problem" seems to be limited to this list only as I do not see it it on any of the other lists I am subscribed to.

*It seems to only appear when the mail is posted from a* gmail address.

tab

Old 07-16-2011, 12:22 AM
ANDY

There's a link to find out more if you do see it.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&ctx=mail&answer=185812

I think this nails most of the problem; the Ubuntu mail list server is not passing along the authentication and/or required ident information.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Avi

Tom H wrote:

> it doesn't happen with my other lists so it's an Ubuntu "problem."

I've seen it reported on several other lists. It's a Gmail feature
rather than anybody else's problem.

--
Avi

Old 07-16-2011, 03:09 AM
Jared Norris

On 16 July 2011 10:24, Avi <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>>
>> it doesn't happen with my other lists so it's an Ubuntu "problem."
>>

> I've seen it reported on several other lists. It's a Gmail feature
> rather than anybody else's problem.
>
> --
> Avi

technically knowledgeable but they have said they are looking at
implementing DKIM at some stage that should fix this issue with how
gmail passes on authentication but apparently it's not a simple thing
to fix so may take a while.

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris