Old 02-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Wayne Smith

Default Lightscribe

Wayne Smith wrote:

>> My slave drive is up and running now.
>>
>> I am trying to get my lightscribe drive working, and I understand that
>> the LaCie Lightscribe Labeler will work with K3b. That labeler, however,
>> is only available in RPM format, and I am not having any luck figuring out
>> how to install RPM files using Alien.
>>

> OK, disregard the request for help with Alien. I seem to have figured it
> out. How do I give myself permissions to write to the slave drive???

Also, how do I use the LaCie Lightscribe Labeler with K3b????

Old 02-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Wayne Smith

Wayne Smith wrote:
> Wayne Smith wrote:
>
>> Wayne Smith wrote:
>>

>>> My slave drive is up and running now.
>>>
>>> I am trying to get my lightscribe drive working, and I understand that
>>> the LaCie Lightscribe Labeler will work with K3b. That labeler, however,
>>> is only available in RPM format, and I am not having any luck figuring out
>>> how to install RPM files using Alien.
>>>

>> OK, disregard the request for help with Alien. I seem to have figured it
>> out. How do I give myself permissions to write to the slave drive???
>>

> Also, how do I use the LaCie Lightscribe Labeler with K3b??????

I can open up 4L-gui, but I can't get it to recognize my drive????
Simple labeler doesn't seem to want to install.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:25 PM
NoOp

On 02/13/2008 11:37 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:
> Wayne Smith wrote:
>> Wayne Smith wrote:

>>> OK, disregard the request for help with Alien. I seem to have
>>> figured it out. How do I give myself permissions to write to the
>>> slave drive???
>>>

>> Also, how do I use the LaCie Lightscribe Labeler with K3b??????
>>
> I can open up 4L-gui, but I can't get it to recognize my drive????
> Simple labeler doesn't seem to want to install.

Perhaps?

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BLightscribe&btnG=Google+S earch>

From that I find:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LightScribe
Links
* [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux product page
* [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux User Manual
* [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling Technology page
* [WWW] Official LightScribe site
http://www.k3b.org/

Old 02-15-2008, 02:19 AM
Wayne Smith

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/13/2008 11:37 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:
>
>> Wayne Smith wrote:

>>> Also, how do I use the LaCie Lightscribe Labeler with K3b??????
>>>

>> I can open up 4L-gui, but I can't get it to recognize my drive????
>> Simple labeler doesn't seem to want to install.
>>

> Perhaps?
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BLightscribe&btnG=Google+S earch>
>
> >From that I find:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LightScribe
> Links
> * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux product page
> * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux User Manual
> * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling Technology page
> * [WWW] Official LightScribe site
> http://www.k3b.org/

It looks like 4L is missing a library which I can only get in rpm. I can
use Alien to convert the file, but I'm having trouble managing my home
file now because it thinks I'm not the owner. It says the owner is Root.
How do I change file and drive configurations as root???

Old 02-15-2008, 02:34 AM
NoOp

On 02/14/2008 07:19 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>> Perhaps?
>>
>> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BLightscribe&btnG=Google+S earch>
>>
>> >From that I find:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LightScribe
>> Links
>> * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux product page
>> * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux User Manual
>> * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling Technology page
>> * [WWW] Official LightScribe site
>> http://www.k3b.org/
>>

> It looks like 4L is missing a library which I can only get in rpm. I can
> use Alien to convert the file, but I'm having trouble managing my home
> file now because it thinks I'm not the owner. It says the owner is Root.
> How do I change file and drive configurations as root???

Do you mean your entire home directory is now root, or just the 4L files?

Old 02-15-2008, 02:54 AM
NoOp

On 02/14/2008 07:34 PM, NoOp wrote:

> Do you mean your entire home directory is now root, or just the 4L files?

Correction:
Do you mean your entire home directory is now owned by root, or just the
4L files?

ls -l

will show you the ownership of the directories and files.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:59 AM
Wayne Smith

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/14/2008 07:19 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:
>>

>>> Perhaps?
>>>
>>> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BLightscribe&btnG=Google+S earch>

>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LightScribe
>>> Links
>>> * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux product page
>>> * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux User Manual
>>> * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling Technology page
>>> * [WWW] Official LightScribe site
>>> http://www.k3b.org/
>>>

>> It looks like 4L is missing a library which I can only get in rpm. I can
>> use Alien to convert the file, but I'm having trouble managing my home
>> file now because it thinks I'm not the owner. It says the owner is Root.
>> How do I change file and drive configurations as root???
>>

> Do you mean your entire home directory is now root, or just the 4L files?

The entire home directory for some reason. Not to mention my slave
drive. How do I change the permissions settings???

Old 02-15-2008, 03:02 AM
Wayne Smith

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/14/2008 07:34 PM, NoOp wrote:
>

>> Do you mean your entire home directory is now root, or just the 4L files?
>>

> Correction:
> Do you mean your entire home directory is now owned by root, or just the
> 4L files?
>
> ls -l
>
> will show you the ownership of the directories and files.

Correction: It looks like the converted alien file is owned by root, as
well as my slave drive.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:24 AM
NoOp

On 02/14/2008 08:02 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 02/14/2008 07:34 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>

>>> Do you mean your entire home directory is now root, or just the
>>> 4L files?
>>>

>> Correction: Do you mean your entire home directory is now owned by
>> root, or just the 4L files?
>>
>> ls -l
>>
>> will show you the ownership of the directories and files.
>>

> Correction: It looks like the converted alien file is owned by root,
> as well as my slave drive.

No idea regarding your slave drive (you provided no details), but you
can change it with sudo chown -R and chmod -R but I recommend that you
provide some details before you attempt trying any of those commands.
You can seriously screw up your permissions if you are not careful &
then we'd have a very long (or short) thread depending on the outcome.

As for your converted alien file(s), here is the easiest for you perhap.
From a terminal:

gksu nautilus

That will bring up nautilus in root mode. You can then browse to the
file(s) (home, your username/directory, then the location where the
files are located) and right-click. Select "Properties" and then
"Permissions". You can then change the owner to whatever your system allows.

Note: careful with that one as well... you are now in a root browser and
can change/delete, etc., any file on the system. So use some caution &
common sense when in that application.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Mike McMullin

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 21:19 -0600, Wayne Smith wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

> >> I can open up 4L-gui, but I can't get it to recognize my drive????
> >> Simple labeler doesn't seem to want to install.
> >>

> > Perhaps?
> >
> > <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2BLightscribe&btnG=Google+S earch>
> >
> > >From that I find:
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LightScribe
> > Links
> > * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux product page
> > * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux User Manual
> > * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling Technology page
> > * [WWW] Official LightScribe site
> > http://www.k3b.org/
> >

> It looks like 4L is missing a library which I can only get in rpm. I can
> use Alien to convert the file, but I'm having trouble managing my home
> file now because it thinks I'm not the owner. It says the owner is Root.
> How do I change file and drive configurations as root???

sudo chown <username>:users <file or directory>