Old 02-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Arun Khan

Default Lightscribe

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Robert <kerplop@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I just bought an HP DVD Writer 1040r (as identified by k3b), an external
> USB-connected CD/DVD burner. *The drive gets assigned /dev/scd0. I can
> burn CDs and DVDs, read from CDs and DVDs, boot from DVDs (and, I
> assume, CDs) but have been unable to use the lightscribe software to
> label a disk. *I have lightscribe-1.18.11.1-0 and
> lightscribeApplications-1.18.6.1-0 installed, can run the GUI at
> /opt/lightscribe/Applications/SimpleLabeler/SimpleLabeler which promptly
> and stubbornly tells me "--<no lightscribe drives found>--".
> This IS a lightscribe drive, according to the specs, the box and the
> logo on the tray.

I do not have any lightscribe capable DVD writer.

I am presuming you have lightscribe capable media in the drive as
well. If so, it might be worthwhile to contact the software vendor.
IIRC, LaCie had published rpm package for lightscribe but I suspect it
worked with their own branded hardware.

-- Arun Khan

Old 02-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Robert

Arun Khan wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Robert<kerplop@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I just bought an HP DVD Writer 1040r (as identified by k3b), an external
>> USB-connected CD/DVD burner. The drive gets assigned /dev/scd0. I can
>> burn CDs and DVDs, read from CDs and DVDs, boot from DVDs (and, I
>> assume, CDs) but have been unable to use the lightscribe software to
>> label a disk. I have lightscribe-1.18.11.1-0 and
>> lightscribeApplications-1.18.6.1-0 installed, can run the GUI at
>> /opt/lightscribe/Applications/SimpleLabeler/SimpleLabeler which promptly
>> and stubbornly tells me "--<no lightscribe drives found>--".
>> This IS a lightscribe drive, according to the specs, the box and the
>> logo on the tray.
>>
> I do not have any lightscribe capable DVD writer.
>
> I am presuming you have lightscribe capable media in the drive as
> well. If so, it might be worthwhile to contact the software vendor.
> IIRC, LaCie had published rpm package for lightscribe but I suspect it
> worked with their own branded hardware.
>
> -- Arun Khan

Yes, I have tried DVD media that is peddled as being lightscribe capable
and just minutes ago, opened a 20-pack of CD+R that are supposedly also
lightscribe capable. I have tried both the LaCie 4L s/w and
lightscribeApplications-1.18.6.1-0 and get nowhere with either of them.
I do have the driver, lightscribe-1.18.11.1-0 installed.

After leaving the original question, I plugged the drive into a
WinXP-only laptop, Installed the bundled s/w and the same DVD was
recognized -- but only after quite a while. So, I'm about to conclude
that the media is flaky, the Linux s/w is impatient at best, broken at
worst. Whatever... I didn't throw away my CD marker.

Thanks for the reply

Old 02-09-2010, 11:57 PM
MHR

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Robert <kerplop@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Yes, I have tried DVD media that is peddled as being lightscribe capable
> and just minutes ago, opened a 20-pack of CD+R that are supposedly also
> lightscribe capable. *I have tried both the LaCie 4L s/w and
> lightscribeApplications-1.18.6.1-0 and get nowhere with either of them.
> I do have the driver, lightscribe-1.18.11.1-0 installed.
>
> After leaving the original question, I plugged the drive into a
> WinXP-only laptop, Installed the bundled s/w and the same DVD was
> recognized -- but only after quite a while. *So, I'm about to conclude
> that the media is flaky, the Linux s/w is impatient at best, broken at
> worst. * Whatever... I didn't throw away my CD marker.

I'd check with HP - they're pretty good about Linux support for their
printers, so you might have some luck for this, too.

I'm kind of surprised at this, too, though - lightscribe is no longer
a new technology, and I would think by now that RH would include it,
or have drivers for it, in the more recent releases (4 maybe, 5 for
sure).

Also, check some of the linux forums on the subject - you might find
something else that works. I was looking for this a couple of years
ago, but I never saw the value of lightscribe over labels, which can
be printed on inkjet or lasers, in full colr, and "stomped" onto most
CDs/DVDs with little or no trouble. (I've had to glue some down, but
they work just fine.)

HTH

mhr