Old 02-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Wayne Smith

Default Lightscribe

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/14/2008 08:02 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> Correction: Do you mean your entire home directory is now owned by
>>> root, or just the 4L files?
>>>
>>> ls -l
>>>
>>> will show you the ownership of the directories and files.
>>>

>> Correction: It looks like the converted alien file is owned by root,
>> as well as my slave drive.
>>

> No idea regarding your slave drive (you provided no details), but you
> can change it with sudo chown -R and chmod -R but I recommend that you
> provide some details before you attempt trying any of those commands.
> You can seriously screw up your permissions if you are not careful &
> then we'd have a very long (or short) thread depending on the outcome.
>
> As for your converted alien file(s), here is the easiest for you perhap.
> >From a terminal:
>
> gksu nautilus
>
> That will bring up nautilus in root mode. You can then browse to the
> file(s) (home, your username/directory, then the location where the
> files are located) and right-click. Select "Properties" and then
> "Permissions". You can then change the owner to whatever your system allows.
>
> Note: careful with that one as well... you are now in a root browser and
> can change/delete, etc., any file on the system. So use some caution &
> common sense when in that application.

Sorry it took so long to reply. What info or details do you need on the
Slave Drive????

Old 02-16-2008, 03:17 AM
NoOp

On 02/15/2008 07:59 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> Correction: It looks like the converted alien file is owned by root,
>>> as well as my slave drive.
>>>

>> No idea regarding your slave drive (you provided no details), but you
>> can change it with sudo chown -R and chmod -R but I recommend that you
>> provide some details before you attempt trying any of those commands.
>> You can seriously screw up your permissions if you are not careful &
>> then we'd have a very long (or short) thread depending on the outcome.
>>
>> As for your converted alien file(s), here is the easiest for you perhap.
>> >From a terminal:
>>
>> gksu nautilus
>>
>> That will bring up nautilus in root mode. You can then browse to the
>> file(s) (home, your username/directory, then the location where the
>> files are located) and right-click. Select "Properties" and then
>> "Permissions". You can then change the owner to whatever your system allows.
>>
>> Note: careful with that one as well... you are now in a root browser and
>> can change/delete, etc., any file on the system. So use some caution &
>> common sense when in that application.
>>

> Sorry it took so long to reply. What info or details do you need on the
> Slave Drive????

I suggest that you ask questions regarding your slave drive in the other
thread that you started regarding this device:

<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/136049>

From: Wayne Smith <AdminPublisher@earthlink.net>
Subject: Slave Drive
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:46:02 -0600

However, as a hint; you need to provide (in that thread) some actual
details as to what you are trying to hookup/install. It does no good to
post a question:

> Anybody have any pointers about how to setup a slave drive???? I just
> want to use it separately from the Filesystem as storage for my files.
>
> I put it in the computer and formatted it with QTParted. For some
> reason, though, it's not listed in Computer, and I have no idea how to
> mount it up otherwise and use it.

get several replies, and then never respond to any of them.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:11 AM
Wayne Smith

Back on the subject of Lightscribe... Out of curiosity, does anybody
know another good lightscribe program??? LaCie 4L didn't work for me.
Lightscribe Simple Labeler does, but it's just a few simple choices of a
border and text. I can't use pictures or anything else with it. Simple
Labeler will work, I just would like to know if there's anything better.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:41 PM
NoOp

On 02/15/2008 10:11 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:
> Back on the subject of Lightscribe... Out of curiosity, does anybody
> know another good lightscribe program??? LaCie 4L didn't work for me.
> Lightscribe Simple Labeler does, but it's just a few simple choices of a
> border and text. I can't use pictures or anything else with it. Simple
> Labeler will work, I just would like to know if there's anything better.

What is it in LaCie 4L that didn't work for you? Have you tried it with K3b?

Old 02-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Wayne Smith

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/15/2008 10:11 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:
>
>> Back on the subject of Lightscribe... Out of curiosity, does anybody
>> know another good lightscribe program??? LaCie 4L didn't work for me.
>> Lightscribe Simple Labeler does, but it's just a few simple choices of a
>> border and text. I can't use pictures or anything else with it. Simple
>> Labeler will work, I just would like to know if there's anything better.
>>

> What is it in LaCie 4L that didn't work for you? Have you tried it with K3b?

4L won't pick up the presence of the cd/dvd drive. I haven't tried it
with K3b. How do I do that???

Old 02-17-2008, 12:23 AM
NoOp

On 02/16/2008 04:48 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 02/15/2008 10:11 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Back on the subject of Lightscribe... Out of curiosity, does anybody
>>> know another good lightscribe program??? LaCie 4L didn't work for me.
>>> Lightscribe Simple Labeler does, but it's just a few simple choices of a
>>> border and text. I can't use pictures or anything else with it. Simple
>>> Labeler will work, I just would like to know if there's anything better.
>>>

>> What is it in LaCie 4L that didn't work for you? Have you tried it with K3b?
>>

> 4L won't pick up the presence of the cd/dvd drive. I haven't tried it
> with K3b. How do I do that???

sudo apt-get install k3b

Old 02-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Wayne Smith

NoOp wrote:
> On 02/16/2008 04:48 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> What is it in LaCie 4L that didn't work for you? Have you tried it with K3b?
>>>

>> 4L won't pick up the presence of the cd/dvd drive. I haven't tried it
>> with K3b. How do I do that???
>>

> sudo apt-get install k3b

I have got K3b installed already. How do I use 4L with it???

Old 02-17-2008, 01:37 AM
NoOp

On 02/16/2008 06:32 PM, Wayne Smith wrote:

> I have got K3b installed already. How do I use 4L with it???

Perhaps:

>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LightScribe
>> Links
>> * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux product page
>> * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux User Manual
>> * [WWW] LaCie LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling Technology page
>> * [WWW] Official LightScribe site
>> http://www.k3b.org/

will provide the answer?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:31 AM
Willis Taylor

I put in a lightscribe capable dvd burner and I installed
4l_1.0-r6_i386.deb and lightscribe_1.8.15.1-0_i386.deb. Then I noticed
that I had not installed K3B and did so through Synaptic Package
Manager. I think I messed up because I read that these packages work
with K3B but I can find no GUI that leads to them.

Ideas?

--
Bond Servant,
Bill Taylor

Old 02-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Robert

I just bought an HP DVD Writer 1040r (as identified by k3b), an external
USB-connected CD/DVD burner. The drive gets assigned /dev/scd0. I can
burn CDs and DVDs, read from CDs and DVDs, boot from DVDs (and, I
assume, CDs) but have been unable to use the lightscribe software to
label a disk. I have lightscribe-1.18.11.1-0 and
lightscribeApplications-1.18.6.1-0 installed, can run the GUI at
/opt/lightscribe/Applications/SimpleLabeler/SimpleLabeler which promptly
and stubbornly tells me "--<no lightscribe drives found>--".
This IS a lightscribe drive, according to the specs, the box and the
logo on the tray.
This is on a fully update CentOS 5.4 system that has behaved very well
since I built this box (Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P) about 3-4 months ago.
This is certainly no a critical situation but having new stuff that
doesn't work is rather irksome to me.
Can anyone offer a clue or two?

Thanks!