Old 07-13-2011, 03:53 AM
Ramachandran Chidambaraiyer

Default Message at the time of Booting

When I start my Laptop where I have installed Ubuntu 10.10, I get the following messg- "keys: to continue wait or press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery.

Could not update ICE authority /home/ram..../.ICE authority

--
Ramachandran.C
91(422)2496638

Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Carlos Alberto Alves

When I start my Laptop where I have installed Ubuntu 10.10, I get the
following messg- "keys: to continue wait or press S to skip mounting or
M for manual recovery.

Could not update ICE authority /home/ram..../.ICE authority

--
Ramachandran.C
91(422)2496638
91(4923)262362
Mobile:09446290638

Don't know why this happens, but here are the necessary steps to solve
the problem:

1- Open nautilus as root;
2- Find hidden file (.ICE authority) in your home folder (not root);
3- Change permissions to "read and write" and click "Ok".
;-)

Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 PM
NoOp

On 07/12/2011 08:53 PM, Ramachandran Chidambaraiyer wrote:
> When I start my Laptop where I have installed Ubuntu 10.10, I get the
> following messg- "keys: to continue wait or press S to skip mounting or M
> for manual recovery.

Not sure about that one, but you may find something here:
<http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22keys%3A+to+continue+wait+or+press+S+t o+skip+mounting+or+M+for+manual+recovery&btnG=Sear ch>

> Could not update ICE authority /home/ram..../.ICE authority

This often happens if you use 'sudo <some graphic application>' instead
of 'gksudo <some graphic application>'. See:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

You can safely delete the ~/.ICEauthority file and reboot. the
.ICEauthority file will rebuild itself & you shouldn't have that error
any longer. Note: I recommend deleting rather than changing the
permissions as the file could be corrupt.

Sometimes the ownership of the file may have gotten changed in the
process. Check & provide the output of:

$ ls -al ~/.ICEauthority

Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 PM
NoOp

On 07/13/2011 04:27 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/12/2011 08:53 PM, Ramachandran Chidambaraiyer wrote:
>> Could not update ICE authority /home/ram..../.ICE authority
>
> This often happens if you use 'sudo <some graphic application>' instead
> of 'gksudo <some graphic application>'. See:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
>
> You can safely delete the ~/.ICEauthority file and reboot. the
> .ICEauthority file will rebuild itself & you shouldn't have that error
> any longer. Note: I recommend deleting rather than changing the
> permissions as the file could be corrupt.

Sorry, wasn't thinking. You *can* delete (I do), but it may be better
just to rename the file & reboot. That way you can always revert to the
old file if something goes wrong.