Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

Default Sometimes Ubuntu doesn't connect to my external USB drive

With Ubuntu 10.10 running and the external drive connected to my USB
port, I start the drive (”Power On”), but nothing more happens.
What can I do to force Ubuntu to connect to the drive, except at least
logging out and then login again?

This problem does not happen very often, maybe once out of 100 or so,
but still I want to know what I can do to manually ”kick-start” the
whole thing.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 07-12-2011, 06:16 PM
NoOp

On 07/12/2011 04:37 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> With Ubuntu 10.10 running and the external drive connected to my USB
> port, I start the drive (”Power On”), but nothing more happens.
> What can I do to force Ubuntu to connect to the drive, except at least
> logging out and then login again?
>
> This problem does not happen very often, maybe once out of 100 or so,
> but still I want to know what I can do to manually ”kick-start” the
> whole thing.
Any info in dmesg or /var/log/syslog etc when it happens?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/7/12 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> On 07/12/2011 04:37 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> With Ubuntu 10.10 running and the external drive connected to my USB
>> port, I start the drive (”Power On”), but nothing more happens.
>> What can I do to force Ubuntu to connect to the drive, except at least
>> logging out and then login again?
>>
>> This problem does not happen very often, maybe once out of 100 or so,
>> but still I want to know what I can do to manually ”kick-start” the
>> whole thing.
> Any info in dmesg or /var/log/syslog etc when it happens?

I'll take a look next time it happens. I have restarted my computer
since then, sorry…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/7/12 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> On 07/12/2011 04:37 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> With Ubuntu 10.10 running and the external drive connected to my USB
>> port, I start the drive (”Power On”), but nothing more happens.
>> What can I do to force Ubuntu to connect to the drive, except at least
>> logging out and then login again?
>>
>> This problem does not happen very often, maybe once out of 100 or so,
>> but still I want to know what I can do to manually ”kick-start” the
>> whole thing.
> Any info in dmesg or /var/log/syslog etc when it happens?

Tried first dmesg:

[56074.628052] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 75
[56074.732369] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
[56075.393049] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 76
[56075.497234] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
[56076.161050] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 77
[56076.265357] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
[56076.925054] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 78
[56077.032228] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
[56077.692046] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 79
[56077.792222] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
[56078.460051] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 80
[56078.565345] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
[56079.221053] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 81
[56079.328107] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
[56079.985127] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 82
[56080.089343] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2

tail /var/log/syslog
Jul 15 01:56:27 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56271.893055] usb 1-2: new high
speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 85
Jul 15 01:56:27 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56271.997300] hub 1-0:1.0:
unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
Jul 15 01:56:28 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56272.657380] usb 1-2: new high
speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 86
Jul 15 01:56:28 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56272.761294] hub 1-0:1.0:
unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
Jul 15 01:56:29 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56273.421058] usb 1-2: new high
speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 87
Jul 15 01:56:29 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56273.525295] hub 1-0:1.0:
unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
Jul 15 01:56:29 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56274.184595] usb 1-2: new high
speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 88
Jul 15 01:56:29 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56274.289285] hub 1-0:1.0:
unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
Jul 15 01:56:30 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56274.949093] usb 1-2: new high
speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 89
Jul 15 01:56:30 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56275.052409] hub 1-0:1.0:
unable to enumerate USB device on port 2

So it seems like it's at least trying, but failing for some reason…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 AM
NoOp

On 07/14/2011 04:59 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Jul 15 01:56:30 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56274.949093] usb 1-2: new high
> speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 89
> Jul 15 01:56:30 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56275.052409] hub 1-0:1.0:
> unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
>
> So it seems like it's at least trying, but failing for some reason…
After a little googling, most of the 'unable to enumerate' errors seem
to come from hardware issues (low power/dirty usb ports). Just for the
heck of it, can you move it to another usb port, preferably a back usb
port if it is on a desktop? Reason for asking is that usb ports on the
front of a desktop typically are wired extensions of the motherboard usb
ports (the ones that are connected to the back) & can pick up rf
interference and experience low power. Might also be a faulty cable.
You could check the power:
http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Also, in one bug report several users seemed to resolve by cleaning the
usb contacts. Shot in the dark, but worth trying.

Other possibilities:

1. Is your bios up to date? Older versions of bios may have difficulty
with newer high speed usb 2.0 devices.

2. If you think you can rule out hardware/cables/power/RFinterference,
then you might try backing down to an older kernel, or trying a newer
kernel to see if there is any change. Also try searching:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=unable+to+enumerate+USB+device+ on+port>

Old 07-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/7/15 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> On 07/14/2011 04:59 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> Jul 15 01:56:30 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56274.949093] usb 1-2: new high
>> speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 89
>> Jul 15 01:56:30 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56275.052409] hub 1-0:1.0:
>> unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
>>
>> So it seems like it's at least trying, but failing for some reason…
> After a little googling, most of the 'unable to enumerate' errors seem
> to come from hardware issues (low power/dirty usb ports). Just for the
> heck of it, can you move it to another usb port, preferably a back usb
> port if it is on a desktop?

It's a laptop. It doesn't matter which USB port I use.

> Reason for asking is that usb ports on the
> front of a desktop typically are wired extensions of the motherboard usb
> ports (the ones that are connected to the back) & can pick up rf
> interference and experience low power. Might also be a faulty cable.

Checked with different cables.

> You could check the power:
> http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
>
> Also, in one bug report several users seemed to resolve by cleaning the
> usb contacts. Shot in the dark, but worth trying.
>
> Other possibilities:
>
> 1. Is your bios up to date? Older versions of bios may have difficulty
> with newer high speed usb 2.0 devices.

I just visited their home page and I couldn't even find my laptop
there (I found a lot of other ones though), so I don't know if there
is an update somewhere…

> 2. If you think you can rule out hardware/cables/power/RFinterference,
> then you might try backing down to an older kernel, or trying a newer
> kernel to see if there is any change. Also try searching:
> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=unable+to+enumerate+USB+device+ on+port>

Thanks for all tips and advice.

In this case the problem seems to be something else though: I have a
printer (HP Color Laserjet CM1312 MFP) and I use it with two computers
using a USB switch (two computers to one USB device). It's a passive
switch and there are two push buttons: On for connecting the printer
to my computer, and one for connecting it to my wife's. She has no
problems with it whatsoever, but when ”my” push button is pressed,
there seems to be some problems on most of the other USB ports, except
the one to which I connected my keyboard and mouse (I never use my
laptop's built in crap).

So I just pressed pressed the ”connect my wife's computer to the
printer” button instead and my external drive is now found without any
problems each time.

The strange thing is that when I connect the printer directly to the
USB port the problem does not occur, so I wonder how a passive switch
can cause problems like this…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Ernest Doub

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

2011/7/15 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:

> On 07/14/2011 04:59 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

>> Jul 15 01:56:30 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56274.949093] usb 1-2: new high

>> speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 89

>> Jul 15 01:56:30 EasyNote-MX66 kernel: [56275.052409] hub 1-0:1.0:

>> unable to enumerate USB device on port 2

>> So it seems like it's at least trying, but failing for some reason…

> After a little googling, most of the 'unable to enumerate' errors seem

> to come from hardware issues (low power/dirty usb ports). Just for the

> heck of it, can you move it to another usb port, preferably a back usb

> port if it is on a desktop?

It's a laptop. It doesn't matter which USB port I use.

> Reason for asking is that usb ports on the

> front of a desktop typically are wired extensions of the motherboard usb

> ports (the ones that are connected to the back) & can pick up rf

> interference and experience low power. Might also be a faulty cable.

Checked with different cables.

> You could check the power:

> http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

> Also, in one bug report several users seemed to resolve by cleaning the

> usb contacts. Shot in the dark, but worth trying.

> Other possibilities:

> 1. Is your bios up to date? Older versions of bios may have difficulty

> with newer high speed usb 2.0 devices.

I just visited their home page and I couldn't even find my laptop

there (I found a lot of other ones though), so I don't know if there

is an update somewhere…

> 2. If you think you can rule out hardware/cables/power/RFinterference,

> then you might try backing down to an older kernel, or trying a newer

> kernel to see if there is any change. Also try searching:

> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=unable+to+enumerate+USB+device+ on+port>

Thanks for all tips and advice.

In this case the problem seems to be something else though: I have a

printer (HP Color Laserjet CM1312 MFP) and I use it with two computers

using a USB switch (two computers to one USB device). It's a passive

switch and there are two push buttons: On for connecting the printer

to my computer, and one for connecting it to my wife's. She has no

problems with it whatsoever, but when ”my” push button is pressed,

there seems to be some problems on most of the other USB ports, except

the one to which I connected my keyboard and mouse (I never use my

laptop's built in crap).

So I just pressed pressed the ”connect my wife's computer to the

printer” button instead and my external drive is now found without any

problems each time.

The strange thing is that when I connect the printer directly to the

USB port the problem does not occur, so I wonder how a passive switch

can cause problems like this…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

You may have a bad switch.

Try changing the connections so your wifes computer is on the button you push to select yours and visa-versa.
If the problem changes you know the switch is bad.* If it doesn't then you have eliminated that component as a contributor to the problem.

Basic black box troubleshooting.

--
When Government fears the people there is Liberty.
When People fear the Government there is Tyranny.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/7/29 Ernest Doub <hideserted@gmail.com>:

> [...]
>> laptop's built in crap).
>>
>> So I just pressed pressed the ”connect my wife's computer to the
>> printer” button instead and my external drive is now found without any
>> problems each time.
>>
>> The strange thing is that when I connect the printer directly to the
>> USB port the problem does not occur, so I wonder how a passive switch
>> can cause problems like this…
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ
>>
>> --
>
> You may have a bad switch.
> Try changing the connections so your wifes computer is on the button you
> push to select yours and visa-versa.
> If the problem changes you know the switch is bad.* If it doesn't then you
> have eliminated that component as a contributor to the problem.

I know it's basic, and I have done that already. There were no
difference or very little difference. Just seems like my computer is
more sensitive than hers… Still, it works if I connect the printer
directly to my computer.

On the other hand, I shouldn't say that I am too sure about this,
because it was some time ago now that I tested this more thoroughly
and I might have forgotten the details… I guess I need to test it
again before saying anything more about this…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 07-29-2011, 09:20 PM
NoOp

On 07/29/2011 09:11 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Thanks for all tips and advice.
>
> In this case the problem seems to be something else though: I have a
> printer (HP Color Laserjet CM1312 MFP) and I use it with two computers
> using a USB switch (two computers to one USB device). It's a passive
> switch and there are two push buttons: On for connecting the printer
> to my computer, and one for connecting it to my wife's. She has no
> problems with it whatsoever, but when ”my” push button is pressed,
> there seems to be some problems on most of the other USB ports, except
> the one to which I connected my keyboard and mouse (I never use my
> laptop's built in crap).
>
> So I just pressed pressed the ”connect my wife's computer to the
> printer” button instead and my external drive is now found without any
> problems each time.
>
> The strange thing is that when I connect the printer directly to the
> USB port the problem does not occur, so I wonder how a passive switch
> can cause problems like this…

Still sounds to me like you have usb ports on the laptop that may be
voltage/rf sensitive. It's quite possible that the passive usb switch
simply isn't supplying enough power to satisfy your usb ports.

Is your wife's computer the same model and have the same version of Ubuntu?