Old 07-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

Default Sometimes Ubuntu doesn't connect to my external USB drive

2011/7/29 NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
> On 07/29/2011 09:11 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> Thanks for all tips and advice.
>>
>> In this case the problem seems to be something else though: I have a
>> printer (HP Color Laserjet CM1312 MFP) and I use it with two computers
>> using a USB switch (two computers to one USB device). It's a passive
>> switch and there are two push buttons: On for connecting the printer
>> to my computer, and one for connecting it to my wife's. She has no
>> problems with it whatsoever, but when ”my” push button is pressed,
>> there seems to be some problems on most of the other USB ports, except
>> the one to which I connected my keyboard and mouse (I never use my
>> laptop's built in crap).
>>
>> So I just pressed pressed the ”connect my wife's computer to the
>> printer” button instead and my external drive is now found without any
>> problems each time.
>>
>> The strange thing is that when I connect the printer directly to the
>> USB port the problem does not occur, so I wonder how a passive switch
>> can cause problems like this…
>
> Still sounds to me like you have usb ports on the laptop that may be
> voltage/rf sensitive. It's quite possible that the passive usb switch
> simply isn't supplying enough power to satisfy your usb ports.
>
> Is your wife's computer the same model and have the same version of Ubuntu?

No, she has a desktop computer with Ubuntu 10.04 (I have Ubuntu 10.10).

I also noticed that it seems that my laptop gets a bit warm, because
the fan (fans?) are running most of the time, actually making more
noise than her desktop machine, so maybe I need to get rid of some
dust inside it. I guess this could be a part of the misbehaviour,
couldn't it?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 07-30-2011, 07:41 PM
NoOp

On 07/30/2011 05:56 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2011/7/29 NoOp...
>> Still sounds to me like you have usb ports on the laptop that may be
>> voltage/rf sensitive. It's quite possible that the passive usb switch
>> simply isn't supplying enough power to satisfy your usb ports.
>>
>> Is your wife's computer the same model and have the same version of Ubuntu?
>
> No, she has a desktop computer with Ubuntu 10.04 (I have Ubuntu 10.10).
>
> I also noticed that it seems that my laptop gets a bit warm, because
> the fan (fans?) are running most of the time, actually making more
> noise than her desktop machine, so maybe I need to get rid of some
> dust inside it. I guess this could be a part of the misbehaviour,
> couldn't it?

It's never too late for spring cleaning :-) And yes, I suspect that may
help.