Old 11-26-2007, 04:07 PM
"John Dangler"

Default MPlayer doesnt play any movies ?

Just installed MPlayer and its associated parts (skins, fonts, moz)
I have some avi movie files on a usb drive, so I thought I'd try this
out. Every file I attempt to open says the same thing -
"Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device."

Can anyone point me to how to work this out?

Thanks

Old 11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Wulfy

John Dangler wrote:
> Just installed MPlayer and its associated parts (skins, fonts, moz)
> I have some avi movie files on a usb drive, so I thought I'd try this
> out. Every file I attempt to open says the same thing -
> "Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device."
>
> Can anyone point me to how to work this out?
>
> Thanks

Do you have the w32codecs and the other codecs installed? You can get
them from the medibuntu repository...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Old 11-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Nils Kassube

John Dangler wrote:
> Just installed MPlayer and its associated parts (skins, fonts, moz)
> I have some avi movie files on a usb drive, so I thought I'd try this
> out. Every file I attempt to open says the same thing -
> "Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device."

Obviously Mplayer can't find the video device for which it is set up.
Enter the command

mplayer -vo help

to get a list of available devices. Then try them one after the other. The
command would be something like

mplayer -vo x11 /path/to/your/video.avi

where x1 is one of the devices from the list given by mplayer.

Nils

Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 18:42 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Obviously Mplayer can't find the video device for which it is set up.
> Enter the command
>
> mplayer -vo help
>
> to get a list of available devices. Then try them one after the other.
> The
> command would be something like
>
> mplayer -vo x11 /path/to/your/video.avi
>
> where x1 is one of the devices from the list given by mplayer.

Just to add, once the OP found the working video device he can
right-click the video window, open Preferences and choose the correct
device on the Video tab.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:10 PM
"John Dangler"

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 12:54 -0500, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 18:42 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Obviously Mplayer can't find the video device for which it is set
> up.
> > Enter the command
> >
> > mplayer -vo help
> >
> > to get a list of available devices. Then try them one after the
> other.
> > The
> > command would be something like
> >
> > mplayer -vo x11 /path/to/your/video.avi
> >
> > where x1 is one of the devices from the list given by mplayer.
>
> Just to add, once the OP found the working video device he can
> right-click the video window, open Preferences and choose the correct
> device on the Video tab.
Wulfy, Nils, Mario -
Thanks much! Yes, I did have all of the codecs installed. It was the
output driver. I went through a few on the cli, then opened mplayer,
found the config button on the skin, and changed the video driver to x11
(there are 4 or 5 to choose from, and I guess the default choice isn't
right for me - ATI onboard my laptop). The skins are decent, too!
Hopefully, this works out somewhat better than totem.

Jack Dangler
Secure Information Services
Terremark Worldwide
786 871 2352 (Office)