Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 AM
roberto

Default restoring backup

Hello, i did a backup of my home data when i was using debian and
backup2l utility.

Now i'd like to restore everything onto my new laptop with ubuntu
11.04. Is it possible ? I think ubuntu can properly restore data from
that standard format (.tar.gz).

Thank you in advance.

--
roberto

Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 AM
"Korves, Tim"

Hi Roberto,

if this is only a .tar.gz file, you can unpack it easily:

<snip>

username@host# tar -xvzf file.tar.gz -C /destination/folder

</snap>

Rgds, Tim

Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 AM
David Fletcher

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 11:02 +0200, roberto wrote:
> Hello, i did a backup of my home data when i was using debian and
> backup2l utility.
>
> Now i'd like to restore everything onto my new laptop with ubuntu
> 11.04. Is it possible ? I think ubuntu can properly restore data from
> that standard format (.tar.gz).
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> --
> roberto

I've done this several times, but I do it all manually from a tar.gz
file that is created from a script I wrote.

Do you also have /etc/ in your backup? If you do, you can also restore
the user accounts and passwords.

Basically, reinstate the user accounts then copy the contents of /home/
from the extracted tar file to /home/ on your new computer. You might
need to do
sudo chown -R user:user /home/user

on your restored directories to get it to work properly.

I have to go out now. If you want more detail about what I do,
especially restoring the user accounts and passwords, ask me later.

Dave

Old 07-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 11:02 +0200, roberto wrote:
> Hello, i did a backup of my home data when i was using debian and
> backup2l utility.
>
> Now i'd like to restore everything onto my new laptop with ubuntu
> 11.04. Is it possible ? I think ubuntu can properly restore data from
> that standard format (.tar.gz).

Sure it can be "restored", but whether things will work correctly after
you do so, to a newer release, is not guaranteed.

Linux user# 44256

Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Georgi Kourtev

Dear Friends,

Somehow I messed up from my system.* Thus, I decided to restore a backup from a week ago that was suppose to be done by Nepomuk.* When I open it in System setting, I see that the latest backup done is on April 12 (which is fine). However when I press restore backups, it shows me 10 backups dated last year!

Where are the files of this backup stored?* How can I solve this issue -- manually even?* Thanks,
gk