Old 07-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Tom Sparks

Default look for a filesystem for data mules

I am looking for a file system that can be used for Wifi-enabled data mules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Mule)
the requirements are:

* unclean mounting
* data journaling for data custodian support
* diks checking while mounted

I can only guarantee power while the vehicle is runing

--
tom_a_sparks "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"
Please use ISO approved file formats excluding Office Open XML - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Stephen Kuhn

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 17:51 -0700, Tom Sparks wrote:
> I am looking for a file system that can be used for Wifi-enabled data mules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Mule)
> the requirements are:
>
> * unclean mounting
> * data journaling for data custodian support
> * diks checking while mounted
>
> I can only guarantee power while the vehicle is runing
>

> --
> tom_a_sparks "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"
> Please use ISO approved file formats excluding Office Open XML - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
> 3 x (x)Ubuntu 10.04, Amiga A1200 WB 3.1, UAE AF 2006 WB 3.X, Sam440 AOS 4.1.2
> Wanted: RiscOS system, GEOS system (C64/C128), Atari ST, Apple Macintosh (68k/PPC only)

Regardless of "bad publicity", I'd suggest ReiserFS...but others are
most certainly going to disagree - not necessarily based on "truth" but
on opinion.

I've used and do use ReiserFS in volatile environments..."Data Mule"-ing
would be classed as volatile.

What, are you not a firm believer in Senator Conroy's NBN mate?

--
yankdownunder
reg'd linux user #267497

Old 07-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Tom Sparks

> > I am looking for a file system that can be used for
> Wifi-enabled data mules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Mule)
> > the requirements are:
> >
> > * unclean mounting
> > * data journaling for data custodian support
> > * diks checking while mounted
> >
> > I can only guarantee power while the vehicle is
> runing
> >

> > --
> > tom_a_sparks "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"
> > Please use ISO approved file formats excluding Office
> Open XML - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
> > 3 x (x)Ubuntu 10.04, Amiga A1200 WB 3.1, UAE AF 2006
> WB 3.X, Sam440 AOS 4.1.2
> > Wanted: RiscOS system, GEOS system (C64/C128), Atari
> ST, Apple Macintosh (68k/PPC only)
> >

> Regardless of "bad publicity", I'd suggest ReiserFS...but
> others are
> most certainly going to disagree - not necessarily based on
> "truth" but
> on opinion.
based on wikipedia's information , i've discounted it due to metadata journaling only

once this "mule" has the data, the source node deletes the data

> What, are you not a firm believer in Senator Conroy's NBN
> mate?

I think NBN is a waste of money for poorer internet access at double the cost to the user.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Stephen Kuhn

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 18:36 -0700, Tom Sparks wrote:

> I think NBN is a waste of money for poorer internet access at double the cost to the user.

Yes. Thanks, Senator Conroy!
BTW, I have a Mac 6800 that needs a home.

--
yankdownunder
reg'd linux user #267497

Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Tom Sparks

--- On Tue, 12/7/11, Stephen Kuhn <yank.down.under@gmx.com> wrote:
<sniped>
> Regardless of "bad publicity", I'd suggest ReiserFS...but
> others are
> most certainly going to disagree - not necessarily based on
> "truth" but
> on opinion.
<snipped>

i've been read a bit more a different filesystems, and the log-structured filesystem looks like the best option, but I don't know witch one make sense for a hard drive

tom