Old 07-10-2011, 09:44 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default how do i configure my /etc/apt/soruces.list to find "qemu-linaro"?

still a newbie when it comes to messing with my software
configuration, so i'd like to extend my /etc/apt/sources.list to be
able to find the "qemu-linaro" package:

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/packages/show/301581

i realize it's just a wrapper for a number of other packages but if i
set up properly, shouldn't i still be able to install/update by that
name?

different web pages have suggested it's part of universe, or part
of a PPA. i'm open to suggestions -- how do i add it to my software
sources? thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 07-10-2011, 11:01 PM
NoOp

On 07/10/2011 02:44 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> still a newbie when it comes to messing with my software
> configuration, so i'd like to extend my /etc/apt/sources.list to be
> able to find the "qemu-linaro" package:
>
> http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/packages/show/301581
>
> i realize it's just a wrapper for a number of other packages but if i
> set up properly, shouldn't i still be able to install/update by that
> name?
>
> different web pages have suggested it's part of universe, or part
> of a PPA. i'm open to suggestions -- how do i add it to my software
> sources? thanks.
>
> rday

It's in universe:
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=sourcenames&keywords=qemu-linaro>

Enable the universe repository:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu>

Old 07-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Alan Pope

On 11 July 2011 00:01, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 07/10/2011 02:44 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> It's in universe:
> <http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=sourcenames&keywords=qemu-linaro>
>
> Enable the universe repository:
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu>

Universe is enabled by default these days. However doing an "apt-get
install qemu-linaro" won't work, whereas "apt-get source qemu-linaro"
will. As the OP has found out, qemu-linaro is the source package from
which other packages are built.

The link NoOp provided lists the binary packages that qemu-linaro
builds to. Install those instead.

Al.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:28 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011, NoOp wrote:

> On 07/10/2011 02:44 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > still a newbie when it comes to messing with my software
> > configuration, so i'd like to extend my /etc/apt/sources.list to be
> > able to find the "qemu-linaro" package:
> >
> > http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/packages/show/301581
> >
> > i realize it's just a wrapper for a number of other packages but if i
> > set up properly, shouldn't i still be able to install/update by that
> > name?
> >
> > different web pages have suggested it's part of universe, or part
> > of a PPA. i'm open to suggestions -- how do i add it to my software
> > sources? thanks.
> >
> > rday
> >

> It's in universe:
> <http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=sourcenames&keywords=qemu-linaro>
>
> Enable the universe repository:
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu>

as best i can tell, i *have* that enabled in my sources.list file:

deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty universe
deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty universe
deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty-updates universe
deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty-updates universe

doesn't that give me the universe repo?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:29 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Alan Pope wrote:

> On 11 July 2011 00:01, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > On 07/10/2011 02:44 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > It's in universe:
> > <http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=sourcenames&keywords=qemu-linaro>
> >
> > Enable the universe repository:
> > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu>
>
> Universe is enabled by default these days. However doing an "apt-get
> install qemu-linaro" won't work, whereas "apt-get source qemu-linaro"
> will. As the OP has found out, qemu-linaro is the source package from
> which other packages are built.
>
> The link NoOp provided lists the binary packages that qemu-linaro
> builds to. Install those instead.

ah, now it's clear, thanks.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:54 PM
NoOp

On 07/10/2011 04:19 PM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 11 July 2011 00:01, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 07/10/2011 02:44 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> It's in universe:
>> <http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=sourcenames&keywords=qemu-linaro>
>>
>> Enable the universe repository:
>> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu>
>
> Universe is enabled by default these days. However doing an "apt-get
> install qemu-linaro" won't work, whereas "apt-get source qemu-linaro"
> will. As the OP has found out, qemu-linaro is the source package from
> which other packages are built.
>
> The link NoOp provided lists the binary packages that qemu-linaro
> builds to. Install those instead.
>
> Al.

Right. I mistakenly assumed that Robert would click on the link to:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/natty/qemu-linaro
The following binary packages are built from this source package:

qemu-keymaps
QEMU keyboard maps
qemu-kvm-extras
QEMU system and user mode emulation (transitional package)
qemu-kvm-extras-static
QEMU static user mode emulation binaries (transitional package)
qemu-system
QEMU full system emulation binaries
qemu-user
QEMU user mode emulation binaries
qemu-user-static
QEMU user mode emulation binaries (static version)