Old 07-10-2011, 11:33 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default any truly up-to-date docs for KVM on ubuntu?

i want to summarize setting up simple KVM on ubuntu 11.04 and it's
easy enough to find numerous docs out there that discuss this, but all
of them seem to be a touch out-of-date in places.

for instance, some refer to the "kvm" package even though that
package is simply a transitional package for the newer qemu-kvm. not
a big deal, but truly current documentation should refer to qemu-kvm.

another example would be any reference to the ubuntu-vm-builder
package for creating VMs. if you read the man page for
ubuntu-vm-builder, it's now just a wrapper for the vmbuilder command
from the python-vm-builder package.

there's a fairly good writeup here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-kvm-on-ubuntu-11.04

but author falko timme instructs the reader to install, among other
things, the kvm-pxe package, which is fine *if* you need that
functionality. as a minimalist, i like to keep the number of
installed packages short and include only those that are absolutely
essential for the task at hand.

granted, a lot of this is pedantry, but it would be nice to have a
write-up that incorporates only the latest, actual packages. if one
doesn't exist, i'll just dig thru what's there and throw something
together myself.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 07-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Tapas Mishra

I have used KVM but I use virt-manager with it with Ubuntu.
That way things become easier rathern than going the virsh way.
Check this one
http://howtoforge.net/virtualization-with-kvm-on-a-fedora-12-server-p2
the steps should not be much different than this.