Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Default Nvidia graphic's card drivers

Hello there,

I'm on Gutsy Gibbon.* A couple days ago I was browsing: System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual effects menu, it was set to "No effects".* Unfortunately, for me, I changed the settings to "Extra"; when I closed the panel Ubuntu said it needed to install some Nvidia graphic's drivers to get the desired effect; I clicked OK and the drivers were installed.* The computer then needed to be rebooted, when it started Ubuntu told me that those Nvidia drivers were not supported by Ubuntu, I clicked "go ahead anyway" (very bad idea!), or something similar and all the effects worked fine.

Problems started when I tried to shut the computer down, as soon as I hit the «stop» button the screen goes black and a small, moving, white rectangle appears saying "Unsupported frequencies"???* Worst yet, the computer never shuts down, I have to hold the switch for several seconds for it to shut down?

Needless to say I changed back the above settings to "No effects", but to no avail, the damage is done now.

What do I need to do in order to get the previous behaviour back, i.e. the computer shutting down when asked to?* Do I need to uninstall those drivers, if yes how do I find them and how do I go about uninstalling?* Anything else?

Thanks for your support,

Gérald Jean

Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Rich Rudnick

gerald.jean@videotron.ca wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm on Gutsy Gibbon. A couple days ago I was browsing: System >
> Preferences > Appearance > Visual effects menu, it was set to "No
> effects". Unfortunately, for me, I changed the settings to "Extra";
> when I closed the panel Ubuntu said it needed to install some Nvidia
> graphic's drivers to get the desired effect; I clicked OK and the
> drivers were installed. The computer then needed to be rebooted, when
> it started Ubuntu told me that those Nvidia drivers were not supported
> by Ubuntu, I clicked "go ahead anyway" (very bad idea!), or something
> similar and all the effects worked fine.
>
> Problems started when I tried to shut the computer down, as soon as I
> hit the «stop» button the screen goes black and a small, moving, white
> rectangle appears saying "Unsupported frequencies"??? Worst yet, the
> computer never shuts down, I have to hold the switch for several seconds
> for it to shut down?
>
> Needless to say I changed back the above settings to "No effects", but
> to no avail, the damage is done now.
>
> What do I need to do in order to get the previous behaviour back, i.e.
> the computer shutting down when asked to? Do I need to uninstall those
> drivers, if yes how do I find them and how do I go about uninstalling?
> Anything else?

System->admin->Restricted manager, disable the nvidia driver.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 PM
debiani386

gerald.jean@videotron.ca wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm on Gutsy Gibbon. A couple days ago I was browsing: System >
> Preferences > Appearance > Visual effects menu, it was set to "No
> effects". Unfortunately, for me, I changed the settings to "Extra";
> when I closed the panel Ubuntu said it needed to install some Nvidia
> graphic's drivers to get the desired effect; I clicked OK and the
> drivers were installed. The computer then needed to be rebooted, when
> it started Ubuntu told me that those Nvidia drivers were not supported
> by Ubuntu, I clicked "go ahead anyway" (very bad idea!), or something
> similar and all the effects worked fine.
>
> Problems started when I tried to shut the computer down, as soon as I
> hit the «stop» button the screen goes black and a small, moving, white
> rectangle appears saying "Unsupported frequencies"??? Worst yet, the
> computer never shuts down, I have to hold the switch for several
> seconds for it to shut down?
>
> Needless to say I changed back the above settings to "No effects", but
> to no avail, the damage is done now.
>
> What do I need to do in order to get the previous behaviour back, i.e.
> the computer shutting down when asked to? Do I need to uninstall
> those drivers, if yes how do I find them and how do I go about
> uninstalling? Anything else?
>
> Thanks for your support,
>
> Gérald Jean
well have you tried unloading ubuntus nvidia driver and installing the
driver from nvidias website?

--cj

Old 02-14-2008, 12:50 AM

Thanks to Rich,

I just did as he suggested, was very easy, even for me! and it worked.

Thanks again,

Gérald Jean