Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 AM
Roy Strachan

Default reinstalling system and packages

Hi,

> I need to reinstall ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my machine. But I'd like to
> record what ubuntu packages are installed so that I can later on
> reinstall these packages easily. I'm wondering if there is a command
> to keep track of all the additional packages installed. It is better
> that this information is dumped into a file so that it can be read
> some other command to easily reinstall all these packages. Is there
> such commands for saving the packages info and reinstall the packages?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Peng

This works:

http://www.arsgeek.com/2006/09/19/ubuntu-tricks-how-to-generate-a-list-of-installed-packages-and-use-it-to-reinstall-packages>

Old 07-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Larry Alkoff

On 07/09/2011 09:51 PM, Roy Strachan wrote:

Hi,

I need to reinstall ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my machine. But I'd like to
record what ubuntu packages are installed so that I can later on
reinstall these packages easily. I'm wondering if there is a command
to keep track of all the additional packages installed. It is better
that this information is dumped into a file so that it can be read
some other command to easily reinstall all these packages. Is there
such commands for saving the packages info and reinstall the packages?

Peng

This works:

http://www.arsgeek.com/2006/09/19/ubuntu-tricks-how-to-generate-a-list-of-installed-packages-and-use-it-to-reinstall-packages>

I tried this on my machine.
It does indeed give a list of installed packages.

Would it be possible to sort them in installed order?

Larry

Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 PM
FireSam

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Roy Strachan <rdstrac@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
> >
> > I need to reinstall ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my machine. But I'd like to
> > record what ubuntu packages are installed so that I can later on
> > reinstall these packages easily. I'm wondering if there is a command
> > to keep track of all the additional packages installed. It is better
> > that this information is dumped into a file so that it can be read
> > some other command to easily reinstall all these packages. Is there
> > such commands for saving the packages info and reinstall the packages?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Peng
> >

> This works:
>
> http://www.arsgeek.com/2006/09/19/ubuntu-tricks-how-to-generate-a-list-of-installed-packages-and-use-it-to-reinstall-packages>

What about apt-clone? http://mvogt.wordpress.com/2011/05/07/apt-clone/
I was looking around for the same thing and thats what I found. I did
not use it yet would like to know what the people here have to say
about it.