Old 07-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Pierre Meurisse

Default Machine won't boot with maverick - natty kernels

Hi !

I'm running 10.10 on my X71SL amd64 asus machine. It's an upgrade from 10.04.
I can't run linux-image-2.6.35-25-generic that came with maverick.
I have to keep the 2.6.32 wich works all right.

I wrote bug report 718826 that led to nothing :

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-lts-backport-maverick/+bug/718826?comments=all

Now I try a natty live CD and I get the same error messages, with freeze of the machine.

I must be very careful not to loose the 2.6.32 !

I have a debian sid distro on that machine, which works perfectly with newer kernels
till 2.6.39.

Why doesn't ubuntu like my machine ?

Can I run natty with a debian kernel ?

--
Pierre Meurisse

Old 07-10-2011, 06:39 AM
Colin Law

On 10 July 2011 03:41, Pierre Meurisse <pierre.meurisse@laposte.net> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm running 10.10 on my X71SL amd64 asus machine. It's an upgrade from 10.04.
> I can't run linux-image-2.6.35-25-generic that came with maverick.
> I have to keep the 2.6.32 wich works all right.
>
> I wrote bug report 718826 that led to nothing :
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-lts-backport-maverick/+bug/718826?comments=all

I note that bug expired because you did not reply to comment #4. Is
that what you mean when you say it led to nothing?

Colin

Old 07-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Pierre Meurisse

#4 came more than one month after #3. After several weeks with no response,
I didn't look at the report any more. As ubuntu is not my main distribution,
I let it as it is and I came back to it, trying a 11.04 CD a few days ago.
Doesn't work either.

What can I do now ?
11.04 boots with the 2.6.38 doesn't it ?

--
Pierre Meurisse

Old 07-10-2011, 06:45 PM
NoOp

On 07/10/2011 09:57 AM, Pierre Meurisse wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 07:39:46AM +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 10 July 2011 03:41, Pierre Meurisse <pierre.meurisse@laposte.net> wrote:
>> > Hi !
>> >
>> > I'm running 10.10 on my X71SL amd64 asus machine. It's an upgrade from 10.04.
>> > I can't run linux-image-2.6.35-25-generic that came with maverick.
>> > I have to keep the 2.6.32 wich works all right.
>> >
>> > I wrote bug report 718826 that led to nothing :
>> >
>> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-lts-backport-maverick/+bug/718826?comments=all
>>
>> I note that bug expired because you did not reply to comment #4. Is
>> that what you mean when you say it led to nothing?
>>
> #4 came more than one month after #3. After several weeks with no response,
> I didn't look at the report any more. As ubuntu is not my main distribution,
> I let it as it is and I came back to it, trying a 11.04 CD a few days ago.
> Doesn't work either.
>
> What can I do now ?

The first thing I'd do is respond to the the bug report & get it started
again. At least that way you have the possibility of a developer looking
at it.

> 11.04 boots with the 2.6.38 doesn't it ?

Yes. With the liveCD, select the option 'acpi=off' and see if that makes
any difference. Also, I note that your dmesg shows eth0 is
auto-negotiating itself into the ether... maybe related to:
[Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 191 Gigabit Ethernet ]

Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Pierre Meurisse

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 11:45:04AM -0700, NoOp wrote:
> Yes. With the liveCD, select the option 'acpi=off' and see if that makes
> any difference. Also, I note that your dmesg shows eth0 is
> auto-negotiating itself into the ether... maybe related to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/345374
> [Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 191 Gigabit Ethernet ]

With 'acpi=off' it works all right. I wonder why it wasn't mentionned
as a response to my bug-report.

I know eth0 is quite funny on that machine :-(

Tanks to all for your responses.

--
Pierre Meurisse

Old 07-12-2011, 06:14 PM
NoOp

On 07/12/2011 12:13 AM, Pierre Meurisse wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 11:45:04AM -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> Yes. With the liveCD, select the option 'acpi=off' and see if that makes
>> any difference. Also, I note that your dmesg shows eth0 is
>> auto-negotiating itself into the ether... maybe related to:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/345374
>> [Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 191 Gigabit Ethernet ]
>>
> With 'acpi=off' it works all right. I wonder why it wasn't mentionned
> as a response to my bug-report.
>
> I know eth0 is quite funny on that machine :-(
>
> Tanks to all for your responses.

Glad it works. Please update your
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-lts-backport-maverick/+bug/718826
so that others might try the same, and/or a dev might be able to help
resolve the issue so that you don't need to use 'acpi=off'.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Pierre Meurisse

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:14:02AM -0700, NoOp wrote:
> Glad it works. Please update your
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-lts-backport-maverick/+bug/718826
> so that others might try the same, and/or a dev might be able to help
> resolve the issue so that you don't need to use 'acpi=off'.

done.

--
Pierre Meurisse