Old 07-09-2011, 05:28 PM
David Fletcher

Default Is there such a thing as a "standard" contacts book?

A few months ago, I moved all of my email into maildirs on my home
server, and I now use it with dovecot-IMAP. This is truly wonderful
after what I'd been doing before because it matters not which PC I use
to access my server or which mail client I use, be it Evolution,
Thunderbird, kmail or ms-mail on Vista.

Now, what I would love to see is a solution that I can run locally on my
server that does the same goodness for an address book as maildir and
IMAP has done for my email. For instance, I don't think I have any
particular objection to using Thunderbird for email, but I was only able
with reasonable ease to transfer my contacts from kmail to Evolution.

I like to have all my data on my own server in my own home with my own
backups, so I'm not interested in any cloud solutions.

Dave

Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 18:28:34 +0100
> David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:

> Now, what I would love to see is a solution that I can run locally on
> my server that does the same goodness for an address book as maildir
> and IMAP has done for my email. For instance, I don't think I have any
> particular objection to using Thunderbird for email, but I was only
> able with reasonable ease to transfer my contacts from kmail to
> Evolution.

Use an LDAP directory: looking for "LDAP Thuderdird" or "LDAP
Evolution" then "LDAP setup address book" would be a beginning.

--
RMA.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Avi

David Fletcher wrote:

> Now, what I would love to see is a solution that I can run locally on
> my server that does the same goodness for an address book as maildir
> and IMAP has done for my email.

The 'obvious' solution is LDAP - it's sort-of what it's designed for.
It's also horrific to do by hand, so what you really want is something
that wraps some LDAP implementation in something sane.

It might be worth looking for a single 'groupware' thing, which will
take care of mail, contacts and calendaring (and probably a bit more)
unless part of the point is configuring the individual bits. Something
like Zimbra might be worth a look. I only know of it in terms of an
Exchange replacement, but I assume it talks to clients in standards,
too.

--
Avi

Old 07-24-2011, 11:18 AM
David Fletcher

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I've taken a look at a couple of information pages and the whole thing
looks horribly complex and OTT for something that I would have thought
ought to be reasonably easy and commonplace.

Dave

Old 07-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 12:18 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
> Thanks for the replies, folks.
>
> I've taken a look at a couple of information pages and the whole thing
> looks horribly complex and OTT for something that I would have thought
> ought to be reasonably easy and commonplace.

"Hope springs eternal within the human breast". I would have thought so
too but, alas, it can be a nightmare for someone not already schooled in
the arcane art of setting up a complete LAMP service. Methinks that
those who get paid the big bucks to set up such things are adverse to a
point n' click solution.

You would have to look back at Netscape Server. When it came with a
licensed version for Caldera users, several fill-in-the-blanks and a
couple of point n' clicks and you were serving html. You could
administer it remotely with a graphical interface. Way slick. Easy peesy
too, especially compared to Apache and it's reams of hand-edit files.
Checking out wikipedia, it seems Sun and now Oracle have it as Oracle
iPlanet Web Server. "In January 2009, Sun open sourced core components
of Sun Java System Web Server 7.0 under the BSD license as Open Web
Server." Huh, I'll have to check it out... but it still doesn't solve
the contacts dilemma. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 07-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Avi Greenbury

Ric Moore wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 12:18 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
> > Thanks for the replies, folks.
> >
> > I've taken a look at a couple of information pages and the whole
> > thing looks horribly complex and OTT for something that I would
> > have thought ought to be reasonably easy and commonplace.
>
> "Hope springs eternal within the human breast". I would have thought
> so too but, alas, it can be a nightmare for someone not already
> schooled in the arcane art of setting up a complete LAMP service.
> Methinks that those who get paid the big bucks to set up such things
> are adverse to a point n' click solution.

He wants an address book. LAMP already is pretty much point-and-shoot
for particular values of 'P'.

--
Avi

Old 07-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Avi Greenbury

David Fletcher wrote:

> Thanks for the replies, folks.
>
> I've taken a look at a couple of information pages and the whole thing
> looks horribly complex and OTT for something that I would have thought
> ought to be reasonably easy and commonplace.

I have, since my last reply, heard that davical (a web-dav based shared
calendar) also does contacts. It's not as simple as it could be but I
gather it's little more than extracting the package and copy-pasting a
few commands to get it working.

I've no experience with it myself, I've just heard someone surprised to
find they don't need to faff with ldap after all 'cause davical does
contacts for them.

--
Avi

Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Sun, July 24, 2011 13:18, David Fletcher wrote:
> Thanks for the replies, folks.
>
> I've taken a look at a couple of information pages and the whole thing
> looks horribly complex and OTT for something that I would have thought
> ought to be reasonably easy and commonplace.

My best guess is that nobody bothers any more, when you have Google.
Unfortunately there is no ldap.google.com, but take a look at GCALDaemon:
http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/usage4.html
It's almost point-and-click, but you still need a server somewhere to run
GCALDaemon. That's OK for me, I share a box in a datacenter, but it's not
suitable for everyone.

I'm adding GCALDaemon to my Astrid/Producteev/GoogleTasks todo-list, and
I'm adding the bookmark in Delicious.

--
Amedee

Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Tommy Trussell

If you have your contacts in Google and want to share them with Thunderbird email clients you might look at Zindus�http://www.zindus.com/�(Thunderbird plugin) as it is much easier to configure and use than gcaldaemon. Zindus is not perfect but it works pretty well, whereas I kept running into configuration issues trying to get gcaldaemon to work at all.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:54 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Wed, August 3, 2011 21:19, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 5:40 AM, Amedee Van Gasse
> <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, July 24, 2011 13:18, David Fletcher wrote:
>> > Thanks for the replies, folks.
>> >
>> > I've taken a look at a couple of information pages and the whole thing
>> > looks horribly complex and OTT for something that I would have thought
>> > ought to be reasonably easy and commonplace.
>>
>> My best guess is that nobody bothers any more, when you have Google.
>> Unfortunately there is no ldap.google.com, but take a look at
>> GCALDaemon:
>> http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/usage4.html
>> It's almost point-and-click, but you still need a server somewhere to
>> run
>> GCALDaemon. That's OK for me, I share a box in a datacenter, but it's
>> not
>> suitable for everyone.
>>

> If you have your contacts in Google and want to share them with
> Thunderbird
> email clients you might look at Zindus http://www.zindus.com/ (Thunderbird
> plugin) as it is much easier to configure and use than gcaldaemon. Zindus
> is
> not perfect but it works pretty well, whereas I kept running into
> configuration issues trying to get gcaldaemon to work at all.

Bookmarked, thanks.