-   -   hung boot process (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/55012-hung-boot-process.html)

Bob Holtzman 02-13-2008 10:37 PM

hung boot process

Please excuse the long post. I'm trying out Ubunt for the first time
and ...........

After deleting the OEM installation of 7.10 because I don't like 1 big
partition. I reinstalled and set up /, /boot, /usr and /home. The
installation appeared to go well so I shut down the box, changed the bios
to boot from the hard drive and continued to boot the system. Everything came
to a stop during loading grub and displayed error 15.

A search for error 15 yielded:

1. check rootline in grub.config --> locate *grub.config came up blank
2. reinstall grub w/ grub-install --> /boot initially was missing grub.
ran /sbin/grub-install and /boot/grub appeared but contained only
a device.map file
3. check /boot partition --> fsck -v /dev/sda6 showed it was clean
4. check for /boot/grub/menu.list --> see no. 2 above.

I tried deleting all partitions and reinstalling a couple of times with
the same result.

--
Bob Holtzman
......check the price of the beer!"

Karl Larsen 02-13-2008 10:43 PM

hung boot process

Bob Holtzman wrote:
> Please excuse the long post. I'm trying out Ubunt for the first time
> and ...........
>
> After deleting the OEM installation of 7.10 because I don't like 1 big
> partition. I reinstalled and set up /, /boot, /usr and /home. The
> installation appeared to go well so I shut down the box, changed the bios
> to boot from the hard drive and continued to boot the system. Everything came
> to a stop during loading grub and displayed error 15.
>
> A search for error 15 yielded:
>
> 1. check rootline in grub.config --> locate *grub.config came up blank
> 2. reinstall grub w/ grub-install --> /boot initially was missing grub.
> ran /sbin/grub-install and /boot/grub appeared but contained only
> a device.map file
> 3. check /boot partition --> fsck -v /dev/sda6 showed it was clean
> 4. check for /boot/grub/menu.list --> see no. 2 above.
>
> I tried deleting all partitions and reinstalling a couple of times with
> the same result.

Well sorry but you need to know how to do this. I fail to see why
you dislike one big system off of / but that is your business. But if
you want to do things your way learn to do them.

1. Boot the root partition which should be /boot/grub/ and you need to
mount that on the / partition. Same with /usr and /home. So it you
didn't do that look at how I have /dev/hda7 attached automatically to /.

karl@karl-desktop:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/hda8
UUID=a9c1cb61-ddfd-44f6-88b0-6dc976daf9ca / ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/hda1
UUID=7915f630-518c-425b-9fea-0ef07e50d0f9 none swap
sw 0 0
# /dev/sda2
UUID=7d8c37ed-b2ec-4008-a137-f24c6659c5ab none swap
sw 0 0
/dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/hda7 /f7home ext3 defaults 1 2
karl@karl-desktop:~$

You will need to do all this using your cd-rom as a rescue device.
You will need to write to /etc/fstab. If this sounds too hard then just
use one big system under / and enjoy

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Gerald Dachs 02-13-2008 11:47 PM

hung boot process

Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:43:16 -0700
schrieb Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:

> Bob Holtzman wrote:
> > A search for error 15 yielded:
> >
> > 1. check rootline in grub.config --> locate *grub.config came up
> > blank 2. reinstall grub w/ grub-install --> /boot initially was
> > missing grub.

This is because you have made a separate partition for boot and you are
only looking into the directory that is the mount point for this
partition. If you make 'mount <boot partition> /boot' you will see
the missing files appear.

> 1. Boot the root partition which should be /boot/grub/ and you need
> to mount that on the / partition. Same with /usr and /home. So it you
> didn't do that look at how I have /dev/hda7 attached automatically
> to /.

Karl, this is nonsense, /boot/grub/ is no partition and it looks
like you are missing the point. He has used the installer to partition
his drive and he can expect that the installer will manage all this
things for him.
Sorry to say Bob, currently I can't see what is going wrong, but
maybe after you have mounted the boot partition, you can see what
is the issue with grub.

Gerald

Marius Gedminas 02-14-2008 12:00 PM

hung boot process

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 04:37:12PM -0700, Bob Holtzman wrote:
> Please excuse the long post. I'm trying out Ubunt for the first time
> and ...........
>
> After deleting the OEM installation of 7.10 because I don't like 1 big
> partition. I reinstalled and set up /, /boot, /usr and /home. The
> installation appeared to go well so I shut down the box, changed the bios
> to boot from the hard drive and continued to boot the system. Everything came
> to a stop during loading grub and displayed error 15.

15 : File not found
This error is returned if the specified file name cannot be found,
but everything else (like the disk/partition info) is OK.

-- http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Stage2-errors

> A search for error 15 yielded:
>
> 1. check rootline in grub.config --> locate *grub.config came up blank
> 2. reinstall grub w/ grub-install --> /boot initially was missing grub.
> ran /sbin/grub-install and /boot/grub appeared but contained only
> a device.map file
> 3. check /boot partition --> fsck -v /dev/sda6 showed it was clean
> 4. check for /boot/grub/menu.list --> see no. 2 above.

If you can run grub-install, then you can also run update-grub to
generate a working menu.lst.

The installer should have done that for you. I wonder if a separate
/boot partition didn't confuse it. If you unmount the /boot partition,
do you end up with an empty directory, or are there any files left that
were hidden behind?

> I tried deleting all partitions and reinstalling a couple of times with
> the same result.

(I tend to stick with one-big-partition. No problems whatsoever.)

Marius Gedminas
--
The difference between Microsoft and 'Jurassic Parc':
In one, a mad businessman makes a lot of money with beasts that should be

Karl Larsen 02-14-2008 12:23 PM

hung boot process

Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:43:16 -0700
> schrieb Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:
>

>> Bob Holtzman wrote:
>>
>>> A search for error 15 yielded:
>>>
>>> 1. check rootline in grub.config --> locate *grub.config came up
>>> blank 2. reinstall grub w/ grub-install --> /boot initially was
>>> missing grub.
>>>

> This is because you have made a separate partition for boot and you are
> only looking into the directory that is the mount point for this
> partition. If you make 'mount <boot partition> /boot' you will see
> the missing files appear.
>

>> 1. Boot the root partition which should be /boot/grub/ and you need
>> to mount that on the / partition. Same with /usr and /home. So it you
>> didn't do that look at how I have /dev/hda7 attached automatically
>> to /.
>>

> Karl, this is nonsense, /boot/grub/ is no partition and it looks
> like you are missing the point. He has used the installer to partition
> his drive and he can expect that the installer will manage all this
> things for him.

It does on Red Hat but not sure on Ubuntu. He was not clear how he
got the the many partitions and the way it is working sounds like he
needs to edit /etc/fstab.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Bob Holtzman 02-14-2008 05:42 PM

hung boot process

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Gerald Dachs wrote:

> Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:43:16 -0700
> schrieb Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:
>
> > Bob Holtzman wrote:
> > > A search for error 15 yielded:
> > >
> > > 1. check rootline in grub.config --> locate *grub.config came up
> > > blank 2. reinstall grub w/ grub-install --> /boot initially was
> > > missing grub.
>
> This is because you have made a separate partition for boot and you are
> only looking into the directory that is the mount point for this
> partition. If you make 'mount <boot partition> /boot' you will see
> the missing files appear.

Sorry, I forgot to specify that I had /dev/sda<whatever>, the boot
partition, mounted on the /boot mount point. You are correct, of course,
that a lot of content appeared once I had done this. Unfortunately, none
of it had anything to do with grub until I ran grub-install. Even then
the only file that the grub directory contained was device.map.

> > 1. Boot the root partition which should be /boot/grub/ and you need
> > to mount that on the / partition. Same with /usr and /home. So it you
> > didn't do that look at how I have /dev/hda7 attached automatically
> > to /.
>
> Karl, this is nonsense, /boot/grub/ is no partition and it looks
> like you are missing the point. He has used the installer to partition
> his drive and he can expect that the installer will manage all this
> things for him.

Karl has a long history of posting, shall we say, uninformed advice on the
fedora list. Also of refusing to accept offered help.

Thanks for the reply.

--
Bob Holtzman
......check the price of the beer!"

Bob Holtzman 02-14-2008 06:08 PM

hung boot process

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Well sorry but you need to know how to do this. I fail to see why
> you dislike one big system off of / but that is your business. But if
> you want to do things your way learn to do them.

I've been doing this successfully for a number of years on several linux
distros. There are several reasons for having separate partitions. Do some
research. "If this sounds too hard then just use one big system under /
and enjoy"

> 1. Boot the root partition which should be /boot/grub/ and you need to
> mount that on the / partition. Same with /usr and /home. So it you
> didn't do that look at how I have /dev/hda7 attached automatically to /.
>
> karl@karl-desktop:~$ cat /etc/fstab
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #

...........snip..........

> You will need to do all this using your cd-rom as a rescue device.
> You will need to write to /etc/fstab. If this sounds too hard then just
> use one big system under / and enjoy

Don't patronize *me*, pal. I've been playing with linux longer than you.
I've read a lot of your posts on the fedora-users list and it seems the
difference between us is that I've managed to learn a fair amount about
it.

--
Bob Holtzman
......check the price of the beer!"

Gerald Dachs 02-14-2008 06:28 PM

hung boot process

Am Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:42:23 -0700 (MST)
schrieb Bob Holtzman <holtzm@sonic.net>:

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Gerald Dachs wrote:
>
> > Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:43:16 -0700
> > schrieb Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:

> > This is because you have made a separate partition for boot and you
> > are only looking into the directory that is the mount point for this
> > partition. If you make 'mount <boot partition> /boot' you will see
> > the missing files appear.
>
> Sorry, I forgot to specify that I had /dev/sda<whatever>, the boot
> partition, mounted on the /boot mount point. You are correct, of
> course, that a lot of content appeared once I had done this.
> Unfortunately, none of it had anything to do with grub until I ran
> grub-install. Even then the only file that the grub directory
> contained was device.map.

Sorry, I couldn't know that you know what you are doing. The
level of experience and knowledge in this list is so low ...
I don't know whether to cry or to laugh.
I had subscribed to this list because of a problem I have already
forgotten, some months ago. During this time I have seen 5 posters
that I would name experts. Most of the other that answer to
questions are like Karl.
I am sure that all this discussions about friendliness and
humanity let the geeks run away to their own closed lists.

Gerald

Karl Larsen 02-14-2008 06:43 PM

hung boot process

Bob Holtzman wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Gerald Dachs wrote:
>

>> Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:43:16 -0700
>> schrieb Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:

>> This is because you have made a separate partition for boot and you are
>> only looking into the directory that is the mount point for this
>> partition. If you make 'mount <boot partition> /boot' you will see
>> the missing files appear.
>>

> Sorry, I forgot to specify that I had /dev/sda<whatever>, the boot
> partition, mounted on the /boot mount point. You are correct, of course,
> that a lot of content appeared once I had done this. Unfortunately, none
> of it had anything to do with grub until I ran grub-install. Even then
> the only file that the grub directory contained was device.map.
>

>>> 1. Boot the root partition which should be /boot/grub/ and you need
>>> to mount that on the / partition. Same with /usr and /home. So it you
>>> didn't do that look at how I have /dev/hda7 attached automatically
>>> to /.
>>>
>> Karl, this is nonsense, /boot/grub/ is no partition and it looks
>> like you are missing the point. He has used the installer to partition
>> his drive and he can expect that the installer will manage all this
>> things for him.
>>

> Karl has a long history of posting, shall we say, uninformed advice on the
> fedora list. Also of refusing to accept offered help.
>
> Thanks for the reply.

And on the Fedora list you have a long history of opening your mouth
and putting your foot within. And this carries over to today.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Bob Holtzman 02-15-2008 04:51 AM

hung boot process

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Gerald Dachs wrote:

> Sorry, I couldn't know that you know what you are doing. The
> level of experience and knowledge in this list is so low ...
> I don't know whether to cry or to laugh.
> I had subscribed to this list because of a problem I have already
> forgotten, some months ago. During this time I have seen 5 posters
> that I would name experts. Most of the other that answer to
> questions are like Karl.

You didn't post anything to apologize for. The omission in my post was my
own fault. As for the above quoted text, there are many times I *know*
that I don't know what I'm doing.

> I am sure that all this discussions about friendliness and
> humanity let the geeks run away to their own closed lists.

Any clue what those closed lists are? I'd sure like to sic a real live
geek onto a couple of problems I'm having with Ubuntu.

--
Bob Holtzman
"A man is a man who will fight with a sword,