Old 02-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Gerald Dachs

Default hung boot process

Hi Ashley,

you don't reply to me and you don't quote me, but I think you talk to me,
right? If yes please reply to my post directly and quote my saying next time.
This would mean you would have to go without top posting too.

Quoting Ashley Benton <meggalen@gmail.com>:
> You say the level of the list is low, possible

The level of the list is not made by the questions, but by the answers
to them.

> but How come you're an
> expert.

25 years of experience.

> Were you born like that?

of course not.

In my opinion it is no shame to not know all answers to all questions.
But if you don't know the answer then it is sometimes better to say nothing.

Specially your posts are over the average, so don't feel offended please.

Gerald

Old 02-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Karl Larsen

Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Hi Ashley,
>
> you don't reply to me and you don't quote me, but I think you talk to me,
> right? If yes please reply to my post directly and quote my saying next time.
> This would mean you would have to go without top posting too.
>
> Quoting Ashley Benton <meggalen@gmail.com>:
>
>> You say the level of the list is low, possible
>>

> The level of the list is not made by the questions, but by the answers
> to them.
>

>> but How come you're an
>> expert.
>>

> 25 years of experience.
>

>> Were you born like that?
>>

> of course not.
>
> In my opinion it is no shame to not know all answers to all questions.
> But if you don't know the answer then it is sometimes better to say nothing.
>
> Specially your posts are over the average, so don't feel offended please.
>
> Gerald

If we worried less about what others have or might say, the number
of messages to this list would drop by 25 a day. And that is good.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Karl Larsen

Old 02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
"Ashley Benton"

I am sorry if I didn't quote you and I had no idea I was top posting. Just learning and using gmail, usually I follow the threat (not sure of the spelling) and answer at the end of it.
As I see your message I was thinking everybody was seeing it. I hope this time that is the correct way to answer.

I still don't have any idea of how to quote your saying but I will look into it, apparently I can't cut and paste.
I don't think my posts are over average as when I read the posts on the list I can't understand a good part of them but I study the system and programs and hope to be more helpful in a few months or years. (only a few months of study at home with internet or the list if I can't find what I need)

I am not offended as if I want to learn it is better to know what you do wrong like that you can change it and I admit that I am not God or a Geek but only beginning so I make mistakes, and will certainly continue to make some for a while.

Sincerely
Meg

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:

Hi Ashley,

you don't reply to me and you don't quote me, but I think you talk to me,

right? If yes please reply to my post directly and quote my saying next time.

This would mean you would have to go without top posting too.

Quoting Ashley Benton <meggalen@gmail.com>:

> You say the level of the list is low, possible

The level of the list is not made by the questions, but by the answers

to them.

> but How come you're an

> expert.

25 years of experience.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Derek Broughton

Gerald Dachs wrote:

> I still have some open questions for special cases, like
> dependencies to other packages
> that are named differently in ubuntu and debian,

I don't know that there would be any packages that are "named differently"
over the long term. Packages have different version suffixes, of course,
and libraries often do have different names to allow multiple versions of a
library to exist without conflict, but every version of Ubuntu gets synced
with Debian as development begins, so there should be a point in the
life-cycle where all names are the same.

> but I have my doubts
> that I get the right answers here, this is why I didn't ask.

Well, if you start with that attitude it's going to be hard to get answers,
but why don't you just ask your questions? What can it hurt? You wouldn't
actually take anybody's advice from the Internet without checking it first,
would you :-)

--
derek

Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Larsen wrote:

> I am trying to forget how to have a boot partition. The boot
> partition was needed when the older BIOS systems could not boot anything
> beyond X gigibytes. This caused you to put all the boot partitions near
> the start of the first hard drive. It was VERY confusing but it proved
> Grub could do this.

LOL. I'd actually forgotten that that was why I had used a /boot partition
originally.
--
derek