FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Bob Holtzman
 
Default hung boot process

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:

> And on the Fedora list you have a long history of opening your mouth
> and putting your foot within. And this carries over to today.

You can document this? It seems that I have been lurking on the
fedora-users list for some time but have made very few posts so can't have
a *long* history.

--
Bob Holtzman
"If you think you're getting free lunch,
......check the price of the beer!"

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 AM
Bob Holtzman
 
Default hung boot process

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> 15 : File not found
> This error is returned if the specified file name cannot be found,
> but everything else (like the disk/partition info) is OK.
>
> -- http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Stage2-errors

Thanks. I should have thought of that.

>
> > A search for error 15 yielded:
> >
> > 1. check rootline in grub.config --> locate *grub.config came up blank
> > 2. reinstall grub w/ grub-install --> /boot initially was missing grub.
> > ran /sbin/grub-install and /boot/grub appeared but contained only
> > a device.map file
> > 3. check /boot partition --> fsck -v /dev/sda6 showed it was clean
> > 4. check for /boot/grub/menu.list --> see no. 2 above.
>
> If you can run grub-install, then you can also run update-grub to
> generate a working menu.lst.

I found your post too late. I wiped my ubuntu installation and reinstalled
Karl's way with one big partition, just to see if the various grub content
got generated and it did. Next I ran locate *grub* from the /root
partition and loaded what that generated into the CD/DVD burner app, the
intent being to reinstall with my own custom partitioning and copy the
grub info from the DVD. Unfortunately I keep getting the message "no files
selected, even after edit -> select all. Since I have never played with
burning CDs or DVDs I am wondering if the burner app doesn't like burning
directories which is what all the grub info is in. If I can get this
solved I'll let you know how my idea turned out.

Luckily I have my old workhorse Redhat 7.3 box to use while I'm screwing
around with Ubuntu on the new box.

>
> The installer should have done that for you. I wonder if a separate
> /boot partition didn't confuse it. If you unmount the /boot partition,
> do you end up with an empty directory, or are there any files left that
> were hidden behind?

I saw content in the boot partition prior to mounting it. Different
content afterward.

> > I tried deleting all partitions and reinstalling a couple of times with
> > the same result.
>
> (I tend to stick with one-big-partition. No problems whatsoever.)

Yes, but with a separate /home partition you can do a clean install
without losing your data if you specify not formatting /home.

--
Bob Holtzman
"If you think you're getting free lunch,
......check the price of the beer!"

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 AM
Bob Holtzman
 
Default hung boot process

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Gerald Dachs wrote:

> > Karl, this is nonsense, /boot/grub/ is no partition and it looks
> > like you are missing the point. He has used the installer to partition
> > his drive and he can expect that the installer will manage all this
> > things for him.
> >
> It does on Red Hat but not sure on Ubuntu. He was not clear how he
> got the the many partitions and the way it is working sounds like he
> needs to edit /etc/fstab.

The partitions were set up with "manual" on ubuntu's ubiquity(?)
partitioner. If it doesn't work that way in ubuntu I assume others
that tried to partition manually would have the same trouble...anyone?
The same goes for /etc/fstab.

--
Bob Holtzman
"Your email is being read by hundreds of uptight agents
who never saw the humor in Dr. Strangelove."
Mark Russell

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Derek Broughton
 
Default hung boot process

Gerald Dachs wrote:

> Am Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:42:23 -0700 (MST)
> schrieb Bob Holtzman <holtzm@sonic.net>:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Gerald Dachs wrote:
>>
>> > Am Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:43:16 -0700
>> > schrieb Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:
>> >
>> > > Bob Holtzman wrote:
>> > > > A search for error 15 yielded:
>> > > >
>> > > > 1. check rootline in grub.config --> locate *grub.config came up
>> > > > blank 2. reinstall grub w/ grub-install --> /boot initially was
>> > > > missing grub.
>> >
>> > This is because you have made a separate partition for boot and you
>> > are only looking into the directory that is the mount point for this
>> > partition. If you make 'mount <boot partition> /boot' you will see
>> > the missing files appear.
>>
>> Sorry, I forgot to specify that I had /dev/sda<whatever>, the boot
>> partition, mounted on the /boot mount point. You are correct, of
>> course, that a lot of content appeared once I had done this.
>> Unfortunately, none of it had anything to do with grub until I ran
>> grub-install. Even then the only file that the grub directory
>> contained was device.map.

Gerald is still mostly right. You appear to have created a /boot partition
without actually copying all of the files from the boot directory of the /
partition. You have to do that, edit the menu.lst to ensure that it
expects to find the files from the /boot partition in the right place,
_then_ probably run update-grub (you _shouldn't_ need to do another
grub-install - that puts the first stage file in the mbr or superblock,
which shouldn't need to change).

> Sorry, I couldn't know that you know what you are doing. The
> level of experience and knowledge in this list is so low ...

Give me a break.

> I don't know whether to cry or to laugh.
> I had subscribed to this list because of a problem I have already
> forgotten, some months ago. During this time I have seen 5 posters
> that I would name experts.

Probably a fairly reasonable number. However, I think I could easily run up
a list of 20 or more who are pretty helpful, and another handful who have
shown themselves to be experts with specific apps.

Insulting the list members gets you killfiled, which tends to mean that
nobody ever gives you the answers you're looking for, which makes you think
the knowledge level is low. It's self-fulfilling.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Derek Broughton
 
Default hung boot process

Bob Holtzman wrote:

> The partitions were set up with "manual" on ubuntu's ubiquity(?)
> partitioner. If it doesn't work that way in ubuntu I assume others
> that tried to partition manually would have the same trouble...anyone?

I always partition manually, and have never had a problem with Ubuntu - but
I haven't put /boot onto a separate partition since before Ubuntu existed.

Having /boot in a separate partition has its own issues because grub needs
to know that the boot device is not the same as the root device. It's too
long since I did this to remember which options need to change in menu.lst.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 AM
"Rutger van Haasteren"
 
Default hung boot process

Having /boot in a separate partition has its own issues because grub needs

to know that the boot device is not the same as the root device. *It's too

long since I did this to remember which options need to change in menu.lst.

I had this setup a year ago, installed from the ubuntu installer and another one manually for very obscure reasons. Only thing I had to change was the setting root=**partition here** which you pass to the kernel. There's probably also a default setting in the comments somewhere.


Rutger

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default hung boot process

Quoting Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:

> Gerald Dachs wrote:
>> Sorry, I couldn't know that you know what you are doing. The
>> level of experience and knowledge in this list is so low ...
>
> Give me a break.
>
>> I don't know whether to cry or to laugh.
>> I had subscribed to this list because of a problem I have already
>> forgotten, some months ago. During this time I have seen 5 posters
>> that I would name experts.
>
> Probably a fairly reasonable number. However, I think I could easily run up
> a list of 20 or more who are pretty helpful, and another handful who have
> shown themselves to be experts with specific apps.
>
> Insulting the list members gets you killfiled, which tends to mean that
> nobody ever gives you the answers you're looking for, which makes you think
> the knowledge level is low. It's self-fulfilling.

I would like to be on the killfile of some special members . Of course
it would make me sad to be on yours, because you are one of the mentioned
5, but if this will happen then I simply unsubscribe the list.
I am expert enough to help myself in nearly all situations. Sometimes I am not
sure whether I do it the ubuntu way, if I e.g. change configuration
files directly instead of using a gui and when I build my own ubuntu
packages I still have some open questions for special cases, like
dependencies to other packages
that are named differently in ubuntu and debian, but I have my doubts
that I get the right answers here, this is why I didn't ask.

Gerald

----------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default hung boot process

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bob Holtzman wrote:
>
>
>> The partitions were set up with "manual" on ubuntu's ubiquity(?)
>> partitioner. If it doesn't work that way in ubuntu I assume others
>> that tried to partition manually would have the same trouble...anyone?
>>
>
> I always partition manually, and have never had a problem with Ubuntu - but
> I haven't put /boot onto a separate partition since before Ubuntu existed.
>
> Having /boot in a separate partition has its own issues because grub needs
> to know that the boot device is not the same as the root device. It's too
> long since I did this to remember which options need to change in menu.lst.
>
I am trying to forget how to have a boot partition. The boot
partition was needed when the older BIOS systems could not boot anything
beyond X gigibytes. This caused you to put all the boot partitions near
the start of the first hard drive. It was VERY confusing but it proved
Grub could do this.

The basic step is this. In menu.lst you use the boot partitions's
name for the main root like: root (hd0,3), and then you follow the
kernel information with another root=/dev/hdc4 which tells Grub where
the system is.

It works. But forget it because all new BIOS can see clear out to
1000 GB :-)


Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 PM
"Ashley Benton"
 
Default hung boot process

You say the level of the list is low, possible but How come you're an expert. Were you born like that?
It is difficult to completely change for my part from Windows to Ubuntu and know everything. I learned and while doing it made some big and stupid mistakes, sorry if I wasn't born with the knowledge. I thought this list was about helping each other if we can but maybe I am wrong.

I must say that as a non professional Ubuntu User this list helped me a lot to get out of my problems when I couldn't find the answer on Internet. I hope it will also help everybody else.
There was a question about Ubuntu being a Windows concurrent but there is no question that without support Windows will win. So a little compassion for the newbies who try their best.

Meg

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Bob Holtzman wrote:

>

>

>> The partitions were set up with "manual" on ubuntu's ubiquity(?)

>> partitioner. If it doesn't work that way in ubuntu I assume others

>> that tried to partition manually would have the same trouble...anyone?

>>

>

> I always partition manually, and have never had a problem with Ubuntu - but

> I haven't put /boot onto a separate partition since before Ubuntu existed.

>

> Having /boot in a separate partition has its own issues because grub needs

> to know that the boot device is not the same as the root device. *It's too

> long since I did this to remember which options need to change in menu.lst.

>

* *I am trying to forget how to have a boot partition. The boot

partition was needed when the older BIOS systems could not boot anything

beyond X gigibytes. This caused you to put all the boot partitions near

the start of the first hard drive. It was VERY confusing but it proved

Grub could do this.



* *The basic step is this. In menu.lst you use the boot partitions's

name for the main root like: root (hd0,3), and then you follow the

kernel information with another root=/dev/hdc4 which tells Grub where

the system is.



* *It works. But forget it because all new BIOS can see clear out to

1000 GB :-)





Karl





--



* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

* PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7





--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Kristian Rink
 
Default hung boot process

Am Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:47:13 -0500
schrieb "Ashley Benton" <meggalen@gmail.com>:

> It is difficult to completely change for my part from Windows to
> Ubuntu and know everything. I learned and while doing it made some
> big and stupid mistakes, sorry if I wasn't born with the knowledge.

Indeed. That's what the spirit of Ubuntu, and, thus, a list like this
also should be about...

Cheers,
Kristian


--
Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
jab: kawazu@jabber.ccc.de * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771
"One dreaming alone, it will be only a dream; many dreaming together
is the beginning of a new reality." (Hundertwasser)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:45 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org