Old 02-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Tom Rausner

Default Printer invisible thru USB-switch

Hey there !

I'm not new to Linux or even to Ubuntu but I've got a problem I can't
handle. My whife and I have been using different printers until now, for
technical reasons, but from now on we are going to use the same printer.
To make things easy I've invested in a USB-switch to make it possible to
switch on to the printer when ever one of us want to. Just to make it
tricky my whife is a windows-user and I'm a dedicated Ubuntu fan. So I
went and got a "ATEN US-401 USB-SWITCH". Windows handles it fine (it's a
windows thing) BUT Ubuntu can't see the printer thru the switch and
nothing I do seems to make any difference. Is there a way round the
problem or have I just waisted my money ?

Tom

Old 02-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:12:38 +0100
schrieb Tom Rausner <tom@rausner.dk>:

> Hey there !
>
> I'm not new to Linux or even to Ubuntu but I've got a problem I can't
> handle. My whife and I have been using different printers until now,
> for technical reasons, but from now on we are going to use the same
> printer. To make things easy I've invested in a USB-switch to make it
> possible to switch on to the printer when ever one of us want to.
> Just to make it tricky my whife is a windows-user and I'm a dedicated
> Ubuntu fan. So I went and got a "ATEN US-401 USB-SWITCH". Windows
> handles it fine (it's a windows thing) BUT Ubuntu can't see the
> printer thru the switch and nothing I do seems to make any
> difference. Is there a way round the problem or have I just waisted
> my money ?

Sorry to say, but yes. You should have bought something like this:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS121.aspx
With a print server there is no need to switch, you could use the
printer from all computers inside your local network.

Gerald

Old 02-14-2008, 02:50 AM
NoOp

On 02/13/2008 04:22 PM, Gerald Dachs wrote:

> Sorry to say, but yes. You should have bought something like this:
> http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS121.aspx
> With a print server there is no need to switch, you could use the
> printer from all computers inside your local network.

The problem with those are that they do not have an ethernet port. So if
you have to do anything of distance they are worthless.

For $42-60 or more for the device:
<http://www10.epinions.com/pr-NetGear_PS121_Print_Server/display_~latest_prices>
You could just configure an old PC to do the same; I use an old IBM
Thinkpad with a broken screen stuck in a closet running Ubuntu - it's
quieter than a PC and uses less energy. I don't even use the screen,
just remote into it if anything needs to be done/updated/configured.
The only problem initially was the expense of a long gold plated
quality USB 12 foot cable to the printer (Canon MP750) so that the
printer could be situated outside of the closet. That alone was about
$50-60 if I recall. Next time I'll not buy a printer without a built-in
ethernet port.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Gerald Dachs

Quoting NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:

> On 02/13/2008 04:22 PM, Gerald Dachs wrote:
>

>> Sorry to say, but yes. You should have bought something like this:
>> http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS121.aspx
>> With a print server there is no need to switch, you could use the
>> printer from all computers inside your local network.
>
> The problem with those are that they do not have an ethernet port. So if
> you have to do anything of distance they are worthless.

I don't know what you mean, of course it has an ethernet port. Look at
the picture if you don't believe.

> For $42-60 or more for the device:

<http://www10.epinions.com/pr-NetGear_PS121_Print_Server/display_~latest_prices>
> You could just configure an old PC to do the same; I use an old IBM
> Thinkpad with a broken screen stuck in a closet running Ubuntu - it's
> quieter than a PC and uses less energy. I don't even use the screen,

This is true, but this printer servers consume much less energy and
you can hide them behind the printer. The have a much bigger WAF, if
you know what I mean.

Mine has an ethernet port

Gerald

Old 02-14-2008, 03:18 PM
NoOp

On 02/14/2008 12:15 AM, Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Quoting NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:

>> The problem with those are that they do not have an ethernet port. So if
>> you have to do anything of distance they are worthless.
>
> I don't know what you mean, of course it has an ethernet port. Look at
> the picture if you don't believe.

Ah... I missed that; good stuff! I guess the next thing would be to
ensure that the printer is compatible (been caught by that problem
before :-):

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101216.asp

Old 02-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:18:50 -0800
schrieb NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:

> On 02/14/2008 12:15 AM, Gerald Dachs wrote:
> > Quoting NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>:
>
> >> The problem with those are that they do not have an ethernet port.
> >> So if you have to do anything of distance they are worthless.
> >
> > I don't know what you mean, of course it has an ethernet port. Look
> > at the picture if you don't believe.
>
> Ah... I missed that; good stuff! I guess the next thing would be to
> ensure that the printer is compatible (been caught by that problem
> before :-):

To be honest, I don't know this type of printer servers so good.
Before my current printer with ethernet port I had another printer
with a parallel port additionally to the usb port and I used
a printer server for the parallel port that was directly attached
to it. I never had compatibility issues with it.

Gerald

Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Tom Rausner

Hi Gerald !

tor, 14 02 2008 kl. 01:22 +0100, skrev Gerald Dachs:

> Sorry to say, but yes. You should have bought something like this:
> http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS121.aspx
> With a print server there is no need to switch, you could use the
> printer from all computers inside your local network.
>
> Gerald

Thanks, but it's not possible. The only thing running on my "local net"
is the internet. For security reasons I don't have a local net
connecting my computer (containing sensitive data) with my whifes PC.

Tom

Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Tom Rausner

Hi, again !

I still haven't got my USB-switch to work in spite of all the good
advice from this list. I've been doing som googleing on the internet,
and it seems that this switch has been proven to work with SOME linux
versions (as far as I can see; SuSe and Debian). So i thoughed 'why not
Ubuntu?

There is no software involved coz it's plug and pray, so that can't be
the problem. Does anyone have an explanation to why it's transparent to
Windozer but not to Ubuntu. Maby that would give me some ideas on how to
eliminate the problem.

Tom